AN / JIC Fitting Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time playing with AN/JIC fittings. I have a few aluminum -4 AN fittings to connect and have a question:

I have a female -4AN "T". I was expecting to look into the "T" and see a tapered seat for each of the three connections. It is just a threaded hole for each connection with no seat to mate with the male end taper of any -AN fitting that I install.

It appears the entire seal is left up the threads binding which isn't the purpose of an -AN fitting. Do I need to use an O-Ring for these connections?

Thanks

If I'm reading correctly ...

You've just never seen AN threads without a 37° tapered (quick) coupling connector before. If they have a recess at the outer edge, then an O ring AN fitting is what goes there. The outer end of fitting will have your taper. Amsoil uses this type of fitting on their Dual Guard.

.again ..if I'm reading you right.

This is what most use in your situation

-

[ December 20, 2005, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

You're close Gary. I've got the exact opposite "T" that you posted above - has 3 female connections.

Yes, I expected there to be a corresponding 37 degree "bottom" inside each connection but each is basically a bottomless threaded hole.

You did lead me to the answer though. There is a concave edge all around the perimeter of each female opening. I believe this would be a seat for an o-ring. Unfortunately I wanted nice tight AN fittings rather than o rings so I'll have to go shopping some more and see how reliable it looks with o rings. It's going into my oil drain plug hole so I don't want anything that can vibrate loose. The simpler the better here...

sounds like your talking about MS fittings
the trheads are on teh outside with a flat bottomed hole. yep it seales using a sleeve and it primarily used with rigid line.

I think as far back as the 80's the automotive world was moving away from flared metal to metal seals. O-ring joints are just less fussy to seal tight. When is the last time you had a power steering, gas line, or transmission line vibrate loose? They are nearly all O-ring now and maybe quick connect.

Nice thing about the old flare fitting was that anybody with a double flare tool could make up what ever they wanted to. I remember doing powers steering lines for a 53 chevy.

quote:

Unfortunately I wanted nice tight AN fittings rather than o rings so I'll have to go shopping some more and see how reliable it looks with o rings.

Well, you'll still have that. The fitting that goes into your T has the 37° taper on it. The O ring is just the seal for the nipple.

Basically the fittings you're looking for are alternatives to NPT to AN 37° adapters. They just keep the whole setup in AN thread. The O ring appears to be necessary (and for some odd reason, preferred) due to the "flat" nature of the threads.

Here's the only image that I could find at McMaster Carr. I could only find hex plugs.

-

These are identical to what Amsoil uses on their remote mounts. They are AN/JIC threads internal and external. My 3/4-16 filter nipple threads into my Dual Guard ports.

You can probably find what you need from Pablo or msparks.

..or perhaps in your case ..our Canadian Amsoil Rep and site sponsor.

Southern Ontario Synthetics
R.R. #5, 8229 Fuller Road, Forest, Ontario, NON 1JO
Phone number: (519) 786-4045
Toll Free: 1-888-767-5823
E-mail address: [email protected]

I'm semi confused, but I'll try anyway (I never claimed to be smart). There are a variety of JIC fittings that are commonly referred to as "port" fittings and are correctly called O-ring Face Seal. These typically have an o-ring to seal on end that would thread into a valve body spool, hydraulic motor, etc. and the flare end on the other, there is also usually a jam nut to seal the o-ring and keep the fitting from vibrating loose. You could have a T in "port" configuration, although uncommon. (I'm probably reiterating what Gary Allen stated above)

If you do indeed have a port T, I would run it. I've used O-Ring face seal fittings in hydraulic systems creating 5000 psi without a problem. The more common male JIC T that connects to the female JIC hose ends would probably be a little neater to look at. Are you sure those fittings are alum? I've only seen O-ring face seal fittings in steel or stainless (some brass too) but I usually deal in HD stuff for trucks and equipment so it wouldn’t surprise me if aluminum was out their. Hope this helps.

Patrick
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Thanks for the nomenclature lesson, WreckerMan! I cursed Amsoil (one of many times) for frustrating me in adapting "around" their proprietary setups. They kept it jeeeeest out of my reach for practical avoidance. They still have. These fittings, although surely available, aren't commonly cheap on an individual (consumer) basis/level.

Here's the first document that google puked out

ORFS fittings

We had an ample supply at the shop by a hose and fitting vendor, so supply was/is not a problem for me. I do have to say that the ORFS fittings can be a real pain. When you get everything lined up just the way you like it there isn't enough threads left on the jam nut!

For this application I would be tempted, as labman suggests, to get the "regular" male JIC tee as they are more readily available and easier to work with. But I would probably use it as an excuse to not work on this project and buy parts for some other project that I will probably put
off
smile.gif

Patrick
cheers.gif

quote:

But I would probably use it as an excuse to not work on this project and buy parts for some other project that I will probably put
off
smile.gif

..and I thought that I was an only child...
grin.gif

cheers.gif

Speaking of ORFS, I just bought an Amsoil Dual Guard bypass filter mount and Amsoil just said it had O-ring fittings I think. Looking at McMaster's Web site showed ORB (O-ring boss) and ORFS O-ring face seal. I just chanced it and ordered ORB (to NPTF) and those were exactly what I needed. In fact I think they're the exact same brand fittings Amsoil includes with the kit.
-Louis
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back