Status
Not open for further replies.
Some Sunday morning reading.
thumbsup2.gif

http://www.twoguysgarage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7284
Post number 7
Your Thougthts?

Begin

Mobil 1 uses a 100% completely synthetic PAO (Poly Alpha Olephin) Group-V base stock. Mobil invented this technology back in the fifties, and they have always used the 'true' synthetic formula.

Castrol 'Syntec', as originally sold in America back in the late eighties/early nineties, was NOT a true synthetic, even though it was advertised as such.

The Castrol product used a group-III/IV base stock which is derived from natural petroleum/crude oil sources.
The lawsuit brought by Mobil against Castrol resulted in the decision that Castrol was indeed allowed to call thier product 'full synthetic' based on the fact that Castrol claimed it's base stocks recieved further refining processes, at the molecular level, than did 'normal' conventional base stocks.

This very, very refined base stock very closely approched the performance of a full PAO synthetic, so the US 'guv' decided that (paraphrasing here)" If it does the same thing, whats the difference"?, and allowed Castrol to call it synthetic.
The European government does not allow Castrol to sell this product as synthetic there...it carries a different name.
In ExxonMobil in-house tests, the Castrol product is very close to the Mobil 1 product in all areas except:

1)Phosphorous and Sulfer content, which are the main contributors to sludge formation. It comes from the crude oil, and is extremely difficult to remove completely. Mobil 1 has ZERO of these components, making it almost 100% resistant to sludge formation.

2)Mineral-oil is very susceptibale to high-temperature oxidation, creating...sludge and varnish. It also reatins heat and reduces lubricity. Mobil's PAO technology is almost 100% resistant to high-temperature oxidation. Once again, no sludge formation...with better gas mileage to boot!

3) Mobil 1 uses less additives overall (by percentage), meaning more actual oil 'in the mix', creating a cooler running engine, and producing better gas mileage.

And no, I am not on ExxonMobil's payroll, I just know whicjh is a better product overall.

If the Castrol product was a little less expensive thasn the Mobil 1, that would be OK, since it is far less expensive to produce.

Unfortunately, Castrol markets for near the same price as Mobil 1, while they have a much larger profit margin.

I'll stick with Mobil 1

Interstingly, Amsoil, who used to buy thier base stocks exclusively from Mobil, now buys thier base stocks from the lowest bidder, and are consequently now using G-III/IV base stocks in thier 'synthetic' oil.

End

I have another about the formulation of Castrol and how it got to be a "Fake Synthetic:"

Begin

Castrol does not, and never has operated a refinery, a blending or a packaging facilty.

They are simply a bottler of product.

They buy thier base stocks from an outside vendor or vendors, two of which are or have been 'Louisiana Specialty Lubricants" and 'Coastal/Unilube'. There are, of course others.

They order thier custom-blended additive package from a seperate additive manufacturer. In the past they used Texaco, but the Texaco Additive and Reasearch facility in the Catskills has since been closed. In fact, today, 'Texaco' is nothing more than a brand name. I don't know where Castrol gets thier additives today, but I suspect it is from Chevron or one of its many sudsidiaries.

This is then all put together in bottles with a label by a packager, and drop-shipped to thier wharehouse facilty.

End.

I still believe in Castrol
thumbsup2.gif
But can it really "Form Sludge" with regular 5000 mile OCIs?

Quote:
Mobil 1 uses a 100% completely synthetic PAO (Poly Alpha Olephin) Group-V base stock. Mobil invented this technology back in the fifties, and they have always used the 'true' synthetic formula.

35.gif

This is moronic troll food. Lock it. Not even worth a response. Conducting some bizarre social experiment HangarH? I see a wolf in sheeps clothing :)

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
This is moronic troll food. Lock it. Not even worth a response. Conducting some bizarre social experiment HangarH? I see a wolf in sheeps clothing :)

shocked2.gif

Hey now. I saw this while checking out Castrol, which i think ill be using.. No "Food!"

My bad? ? ?

..If this thread is ill-received, then Apologies.

I thought, if anything, it was in FAVOR of M1 which gets
06.gif
every 2 days, on average (though the underlying things are largely disproven as to the
06.gif
of M1 at this point, much like PYB and Sludge.)

Apologies, if such.

FWIW, I've never seen Castrol sludge up anything in the real world. I've seen a lot of hot running air-cooled VW and Porsche engines very clean at 200K+ miles with plain old GTX.

Besides, if Bill in Utah can run those high miles with various conventional oils, time after time, I figure they will all do the job.
Any synthetic, G3 or not, makes me feel even that much better about what I'm using, even though I'm paying more per bottle initially, for the option of extended OCIs, and cold weather pumpability.
The rest is molecular details...

My 2 cents.
19.gif

(ARCO, I don't think Hanger meant anything but discussion. He has no trolling history I think.)

If only bitog would improve the search function and filtering a lot of these posts would explain themselves and would NOT require a response. It been explained to death.

Last edited:
Groan, this again? Look. Mobil 1 is NOT all PAO at this point. They refuse to release their exact formulation, but I would bet a decent amount of money that Mobil 1 is mostly Group III, with some Group IV to cut down costs. And to be perfectly frank, I have not seen anything that makes me believe mobil 1 is the best possible oil. There are plenty of other options out there, and I like the looks of them better. I don't think the underlying concerns about Mobil 1 have been disproven yet. All that really has been said is "Oh, UOAs are useless for wear data."

Originally Posted By: river_rat
(ARCO, I don't think Hanger meant anything but discussion. He has no trolling history I think.)

River_rat, this is true. I was Googling to do a comprehensive search about Castrol Syntec (specifically 5W-50's grade for my ECM-chipped car) application for a post-Rx Oil, and found this. When i saw "Troll Food" i was genuinely
shocked2.gif
as is seemed to kick up Favorable points for M1, which active Trolls actively do troll against. Ive researched that as well, and found its 95% NUT True, however there were a limited few (2) circumstances where it really looked like that at first glance. Again, i researched.. Not hold up under 10x magnification.
21.gif

If i could un-post this thread, i would. IF its that poorly received.
18.gif
38.gif

ARCO buddy i sent you a PM that says the same thing.

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Ancient History, Mobil is playing the same synthetic game as many of the others are. After the legal defination of Synthetic Oil changed, they hopped on the bandwagon too. Mobil lovers this is not an attack, in fact all the major players hopped on that wagon. I'd guess profits climbed too.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
If only bitog would improve the search function and filtering a lot of these posts would explain themselves and would NOT require a response. It been explained to death.

The search function HAS been improved and posted MANY times on how to use it.

Even more important is for the newer members to SPEND some time browsing around the site and LEARN something.

There is a LOT of info incl that Mobil 1 is far from an all group IV oil. But even more important is that IT DOES NOT MATTER if its group IV or III or a blend. What is IMPORTANT (and has been stated MANY times on this board) is do not get caught up on what base oil is used, get caught up on how an oil PERFORMS. Its additives and base oil is what is important.

I'm going to lock this as it really has been posted and discussed many times. The SEARCH works so that is not a excuse. Helen is paying a fee to Google to have it on the site.

Bottom line is spend some time READING the site and less time posting. It will make your time here much more informative.

Bill

PS: ANY comments, PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back