An FYI on new Autolite Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Ranger, I have always used Motorcraft or Autolite plugs. First round I went with the AGSF32PPM plugs and next two rounds went with the APP104's. Last time around I noticed the plugs went from being made in the USA to being made in Mexico. I went to a few parts houses and found one that still had 7 of the USA made ones hiding on the back of the shelf. I bought all 7 of them even though I only needed 6. This was about 2.5 years ago. Well, I decided to change them out again (they have some mileage on them) and I went to about 10 different old school parts houses and had no luck finding any old stock USA ones, so I went ahead and got the new APP104's at Car Quest that are made in Mexico (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll be as good as all the ones from before)

Anyhow the new Motorcraft replacements are the AGSF32FM (finewire) but they look to be single platinum as the ground electrode does not have the platinum pad on it.
The new style Autolite box double platinums are now a finewire design but it looks like they have the platinum button on the ground electrode. Interesting enough they are similar to the XP plugs possibly without the Iridium.

I only have about 3 miles on the plugs now and they feel fine, I'll report back on how they are doing.

So the point is the new double platinums are finewire.

The XP plugs we've put in my chevy truck and the wife's vw (heresy on both?) have done perfect, and they were us made. I'll buy the ngk and delco plugs if auto lite goes Chinese.

I've been using Autolite plugs on my wifey's camry for the past 100k....a little worn but nevertheless: they held up extremely well given the mileage (single platinum disc type). Just installed a new set of double platinum Autolites on my wifey's camry last weekend.

I don't understand what the hubbub about RE: Mexico or not.

Q.

I've always had great results with Autolite plugs. Great plug with a warranty and good price.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
When I bought Autolite plugs a couple years ago the standard plugs were made in China, the Platinums mexico and the Double
Platinums USA.

just checked the stash of plugs for my neon(16 autolite 3923's, & 4 Champion RC9YC) the Autolites do indicate made in China,designed in USA, while the champs are made in the USA.

so why do i have 150k mi. worth of plugs for my car? I already had the Champions, ran across the Autolites on clearance for $.72/2 pk...i bought 'em all
(4cyl engine, 20 plugs, 30k mi interval = 150k mi worth)

Originally Posted By: Quest

I don't understand what the hubbub about RE: Mexico or not.

I purchased 2 sets of Autolite XP made in Mexico when they had a rebate 2 years ago. The ground electrode was not directly above the center electrode. The threads seamed rough. They work OK so far.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
How often do you change yours??

Factory plugs came out at 91K
Next set went in at 165K
Then at 215K
Todays set 298K

So the standard Autolites are China???

The guy at Car Quest was cool, the first plug I looked at was cockeyed (the center electrode porcelain was way off). I showed him that. He grabbed 4 boxes and told me I could go through them and pick whichever ones I felt were good. There was one bad one, 3 questionable, and the rest were fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back