An End to High Speed Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a report to be released later this year Internet users will face regular brownouts as bandwidth becomes saturated.

Internet Article

Quote:
Experts predict that consumer demand, already growing at 60 per cent a year, will start to exceed supply from as early as next year because of more people working online and the soaring popularity of bandwidth-hungry websites such as YouTube and services such as the BBC’s iPlayer.

It will initially lead to computers being disrupted and going offline for several minutes at a time. From 2012, however, PCs and laptops are likely to operate at a much reduced speed, rendering the internet an “unreliable toy”.

I find this article interesting-I do most of my consulting remotely and frequently move large databases and custom programs. I often spend 8 hours or more a day accessing client servers over a VPN.

This should be an interesting ride.

Nah! Just another urban legend crafted specifically to IT-knowledgeable folks.

There won't be a stop/end to hi-speed internet, the way I see it.

Q

10GB ethernet is now in the works. That's a LOT of traffic per port. Fiber optic networks can handle that on the backbone.

With back-end caching technologies such as Akamai that reduce the load on the backbone, there's not much to worry about even with bandwith saturating technologies such as video-on-demand.

just another 'end of the world' chicken little scenario, like in the 70s when they were saying the world would be plunged into another ice age, or the whole world will be a desert by the 21st century, etc, blah blah blah.
fiber optics haven't even begun to see their ful potnetial (pun unintended). my company is working on 40g and more stuff; it'll all be ok.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
10GB ethernet is now in the works. That's a LOT of traffic per port. Fiber optic networks can handle that on the backbone.

With back-end caching technologies such as Akamai that reduce the load on the backbone, there's not much to worry about even with bandwith saturating technologies such as video-on-demand.

What do you mean "in the works" we sell 10GB ethernet cards now! You can even trunk ports together when attached to switches that support that, or for node to node connections in clustered systems.

Baloney.

I work in Network Operations for a major telecom company. 10 years ago we rolled out our first high-speed internet offering at 1.5Mbps...last month we launched 50 by 10 in New England and we're already working on increasing that for next year.

Sure, brown-outs.

If Cisco goes out of business.
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, because high speed internet will be replaced by ultra high speed internet, as long as monopoly by the cable and phone companies won't kill any incentive to invest first.

Heck IIRC you can get 1.0Gbps to your house in Japan for like $60US a month or something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Buffman
Heck IIRC you can get 1.0Gbps to your house in Japan for like $60US a month or something.

When it gets to Canada, Sign me up!
grin2.gif
I'm always getting warning about exceeding my bandwidth limit, which I'm sure will be much higher if they offer this speed to your house!

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
I do miss the sounds of the dial-up handshake.

LOL.gif
I don't! And you wouldn't either once pictures/movies/OS updates were coming through the pipe (straw?).
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: NJC

LOL.gif
I don't! And you wouldn't either once pictures/movies/OS updates were coming through the pipe (straw?).
cheers3.gif

I still have my U.S. Robotics Sportster 28800. I'm not sure why I still have it, but I do.

I still have my U.S. Robotics Sportster 28800. I'm not sure why I still have it, but I do.

Pretty sure I still have one sitting around somewhere too. I remember the modem for my Commodore being the size of a dictionary.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

What do you mean "in the works" we sell 10GB ethernet cards now!

They were around $2500 when I last checked. Available but very, very expensive.

Quote:
You can even trunk ports together when attached to switches that support that, or for node to node connections in clustered systems.

You could do that with 1GB and 100MB, and probably 10MB versions too.

When I saw the title of this thread, the first thing I thought of was Comcast. Comcast throttles me all the time on their unlimited broadband service.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
When I saw the title of this thread, the first thing I thought of was Comcast. Comcast throttles me all the time on their unlimited broadband service.
mad.gif

I'm with you. My ISP throttles me and they aren't supposed to. I can dowload from the same server using my Laptop Internet Stick from my Cell phone provider much faster!
mad.gif

They need to pass a law or something that rules this as false advertising!!!!

You can still hear the fax tones if you want. Every so often I'll hear that when I'm in a doctor's office or somewhere similar where they need a prescription fax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back