Amsterdam to Rome layover of 85 minutes, will I make it to the gate? (Delta)

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
I have 1hr 15 minutes from gate to gate and I do not know which terminal or gates I am landing in and taking off from. I presume this information will be available the day of travel. AMS looks like a massive airport which I would like to familiarize my self in case I have to run it.

Also, do you have to go through customs during an international layover?

Is it likely I could miss my flight with these factors?

Arriving in AMS at 6:00 AM

Taking off to FCO at 7:15 AM

Probably. AMS is basically one big horseshoe and also very unique in that the security check is done as you enter the plane... Unless that has changed.
It would be preferable to have the security check completed at boarding as this gives me more time to travel across the terminal.

I sure hope Delta keeps all flights and departures in one terminal.

I sure hope Delta keeps all flights and departures in one terminal.
The flight from Amsterdam to Rome may not actually be Delta. It could be a code share, but operated by some European airline.

If everything was right on time, I think you'd make the connection. But if your first flight experiences even a slight delay, you may be in trouble.

The flight from Amsterdam to Rome may not actually be Delta. It could be a code share, but operated by some European airline.
It is almost certainly KLM
Correct, I just checked, KLM will be the carrier to FCO. It appears to be all booked on one ticket as the flight reference number is the same for both flights.

If everything was right on time, I think you'd make the connection. But if your first flight experiences even a slight delay, you may be in trouble.
Hopefully the Jetstream will work in our favor.

FWIW, here's one travel blogger's take on it

I flew that same route on KLM a few years ago, after a few days in Amsterdam (cool city). I don't recall the specific concourse (likely E, F, or G), and can't find the boarding pass on my phone, but as KLM's home base, they're not going to get the crappy gates.

It's not a fancy airport, but as the guy says, very functional.

If you like chocolate milk, and have the time, grab a Chocomel at a store.

If you're JFK-AMS then it should arrive on E-8 (FLT 0046). You will depart on KLM at D86 (FLT KL1601).

The gates are fluid and will be updated but the concourses should be locked in. So search for the airport floorplan and familiarize yourself with the E concourse and D concourse. It's a start.

FWIW, here's one travel blogger's take on it

Helpful website, the author says its 4 minutes between concourse E and D which as per @FowVay are the most likely terminals. Add a few more minutes to get to the gate and it looks like walking time could be 15 minutes.

He also states that 40 minutes is the average time for passport control which appears to be at the gate, but I think this won't apply to me:

No passport control within the Schengen zone
A number of European countries, including the Netherlands, have abolished internal border checks in order make travel between them easier. You do not need to pass through Passport Control if you are flying between Schiphol and another country in the Schengen zone.

If you like chocolate milk, and have the time, grab a Chocomel at a store.
Sounds awesome, will do!

KLM has about 5 non stop flights a day from Amsterdam to Rome. If you miss the 7:15 they will likely put you on the next one at around 9:30.

But many flights from North America to northern Europe arrive early due to the Jet Stream. If the connection can be made, airline staff will likely expedite your movement to the next gate.

Twenty years ago, I was flying from Ankara Turkey to Newark NJ with a plane change in Zurich. I actually had a negative connection time of 10 minutes. I made it. They held the Zurich to Newark flight a few minutes. I was the last one to board that aircraft.

No passport control within the Schengen zone
A number of European countries, including the Netherlands, have abolished internal border checks in order make travel between them easier. You do not need to pass through Passport Control if you are flying between Schiphol and another country in the Schengen zone.

You're going to have to go through passport control somewhere. A few years ago when we went to Lyon, France through Frankfurt, Germany, passport control took place in France.

I stopped flying DL through AMS. The connection times were not realistic. The connection home is even worst with passport control. I look for 2.5-3.5 hour connections these days. It takes 20 minutes to get off a narrow body aircraft these days because the average traveler is an idiot.

I stopped flying DL through AMS. The connection times were not realistic. The connection home is even worst with passport control. I look for 2.5-3.5 hour connections these days. It takes 20 minutes to get off a narrow body aircraft these days because the average traveler is an idiot.
Exactly - 3 hours is my minimum -
I took United from AMS to IAH 3 weeks ago after a year without AMS - that airport has turned into a shopping mall with a few gates to board planes or buses … Used to like it 👎

I guess it would depend on whether or not it's on one ticket or two tickets. If it's not considered the same ticket, then the baggage transfers won't be automatic and you'll probably need to collect and then go back through security. But if it's a through ticket then it should be automatic. My worry would be if the first flight arrives late.

Back