Amsoil XL 5W30 1.5LT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking on giving this oil a try in our Honda 1.5LT since it's got the problematic fuel dilution issue. What are your thoughts? I'm currently running Amsoil SS 0W20. My last oil change I got about 1.5 qrts fuel in the oil pan, roughly 30% olm and about 6000 miles. Honda told me to monitor it and bring it in if there's an issue. Although during the first 15K there was very minimal rise on the dipstick till now. The only thing I can think of she idled the car for two hours once a week. Before that she never idled the car for that long period of time.

That engine is a known heavy fuel diluter. I would recommend shortening the intervals.

The Amsoil XL is fine as it's SN+

I would lean towards QSUD or something quality but cheap and change it at 3k intervals in that particular engine. That engine is probably the worst fuel diluting engine on the market. Honda definitely needs to fine tune their DI technology.

I'd also likely stick with the 0w20 as this vehicle has stop/start correct?

Amsoil XL/OE 5w30 is considerably thicker with an HTHS of 3.3 vs 2.74 for their 0w20 oils.

If Amsoil is what you want to run exclusively I'd try OE 0w20 and cut the intervals to 3k-4K max.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARB1977
I'm currently running Amsoil SS 0W20. My last oil change I got about 1.5 qrts fuel in the oil pan, roughly 30% olm and about 6000 miles. Honda told me to monitor it and bring it in if there's an issue. Although during the first 15K there was very minimal rise on the dipstick till now. The only thing I can think of she idled the car for two hours once a week. Before that she never idled the car for that long period of time.

That just blows me away. I'd be beside myself if that were my car.

I'd use a 40 grade oil for sure, drop the 20 grade like a hot rock and change it frequently. There's zero benefit to using an expensive oil such as Amsoil.

Thinking on giving this oil a try in our Honda 1.5LT since it's got the problematic fuel dilution issue. What are your thoughts? I'm currently running Amsoil SS 0W20. My last oil change I got about 1.5 qrts fuel in the oil pan, roughly 30% olm and about 6000 miles. Honda told me to monitor it and bring it in if there's an issue. Although during the first 15K there was very minimal rise on the dipstick till now. The only thing I can think of she idled the car for two hours once a week. Before that she never idled the car for that long period of time.

1.5qts of fuel? I wouldn't worry about running Amsoil. I would use the cheapest oil that meets the specs.

Obviously idling the engine is contributing to this. The solution is clear.

I don't agree with running a more expensive oil on short oci's.

Originally Posted by donnyj08
That engine is a known heavy fuel diluter. I would recommend shortening the intervals.

The Amsoil XL is fine as it's SN+

I would lean towards QSUD or something quality but cheap and change it at 3k intervals in that particular engine. That engine is probably the worst fuel diluting engine on the market. Honda definitely needs to fine tune their DI technology.

I'd also likely stick with the 0w20 as this vehicle has stop/start correct?

Amsoil XL/OE 5w30 is considerably thicker with an HTHS of 3.3 vs 2.74 for their 0w20 oils.

If Amsoil is what you want to run exclusively I'd try OE 0w20 and cut the intervals to 3k-4K max.

I wish I would done more research before buying. To be honest it's been awesome considering the fuel dilution.

Originally Posted by kschachn
I'm currently running Amsoil SS 0W20. My last oil change I got about 1.5 qrts fuel in the oil pan, roughly 30% olm and about 6000 miles. Honda told me to monitor it and bring it in if there's an issue. Although during the first 15K there was very minimal rise on the dipstick till now. The only thing I can think of she idled the car for two hours once a week. Before that she never idled the car for that long period of time.

That just blows me away. I'd be beside myself if that were my car.

I'd use a 40 grade oil for sure, drop the 20 grade like a hot rock and change it frequently. There's zero benefit to using an expensive oil such as Amsoil.

On a positive note honda did extend the power train warranty to 6 years unlimited mileage, lol.

Originally Posted by CT8

1.5qts of fuel? I wouldn't worry about running Amsoil. I would use the cheapest oil that meets the specs.

I bought a case of SS 0W20 a year ago. I've got enough for one more change after that I'll decide what to use.

Are these engines wearing out the piston rings or cylinder sleeves? I assume the cylinder walls are getting washed pretty clean if they are depositing that much gasoline in the sump?

I wonder how well Magnatec would do in these engines......the "clinginess" of the Mangatec molecules may payoff in an engine possibly prone to cameshaft issues.

In the states I haven't heard of any engine failures. I know in China they stopped selling 1.5LT for the same issue.

Originally Posted by buster
I wonder how well Magnatec would do in these engines......the "clinginess" of the Mangatec molecules may payoff in an engine possibly prone to cameshaft issues.

The crazy part is the engine runs perfect even though the fuel dilution issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back