Amsoil vs. Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, guys!

This shouldn't be too controversial a question (yeah, right!), but do you believe that Amsoil Series 2K 0W-30/3K 5W-30 and Redline 5W-30/10W-30 are fairly comparable oils in terms of quality? I've been reading the posts here for a while, and it seems like Amsoil gets more attention; particularly when it comes to ragging on their marketing practices.

Anyway, I have a turbo-charged 4-banger that is going to be receiving some serious performance mods in the future. Performance AND protection are crucial.

Thanks!

Bashing Amsoil's marketing is a favorite past time around here, it seems.

I would actually give the edge in wear protection to Amsoil over Redline. Most of the Redline results have hardly been spectacular, especially for something that costs $8.95/quart. The notable exception would be the results that someone posted from their 5W-40 that sprintman mentioned.

Maximum performance seems to be Redline's niche, so depending on which you wanted more would determine which brand was for you.

My prediction:
There will be 30 replies here by morning
grin.gif

I guess everyone was sleeping, as there were no more replies overnight!
smile.gif

We haven't seen enough Redline analysis reports on here to say that Amsoil is better or Redline is better. I do believe Redline is designed more for hard driving in mind though, while Amsoil tries to gear their oil for longer intervals.

I wouldn't go into a US vs. Them catagory, as I really think you are splitting hairs.

My vote would go to whichever you can find the easiest/cheapest.

Also I wouldn't hesitate to through the Amsoil 10w30 ATM in the mix if you are looking for something a little less expensive. It is especially developed for turbo applications.

Though if it were mine I would use the Series 2000 0w30.

Anyhow good luck.

I use the Amsoil 10W30 in a twin turbo and it does fine via analysis. However, short drains as I use 5000 miles or one year. If this is a manual transmission I highly recommed the RedLine gear oils over Amsoil especially in cold weather shifting.

I think that Subaru still recommends 5w-40 or 10w-40 grades for "Severe Service" use, so I'd start with either the Amsoil 10w-40 or this new Redline 5w-40. I have quite a bit of experience with the Amsoil product in turbocharged VW's and it holds up very well. Recent oil analyses of the Redline 5w-40 have been impressive as well ....

If anyone has a spec sheet on the new Redline 5w-40, please e-mail me a copy at [email protected] ....

TooSlick

I've been trying to no avail to find out more information concerning Redline 5W-40. If anyone could help out, please email me at [email protected].

Thanks,
Jeff

Not what you asked about but if your car recommends a 5W40 synthetic consider Mobil Delvac 1. It is a fine oil at a reasonable price.

quote:

Originally posted by UberWRX:
I've been trying to no avail to find out more information concerning Redline 5W-40. If anyone could help out, please email me at [email protected].

Thanks,
Jeff

I contacted Red Line and received the following response:

Q: Do you carry an SAE 5W-40 version of your engine oil?

A: Yes, Red Line makes a 5W40 street engine oil.

Q: Must be new since no info on your web site?

A: The 5W40 has been available for about 6 months but isn't listed on the web site.

I requested a PDF version of their spec sheet and got one. Here's the pertinent info:

API Service Class = SL/SJ/SH/CD/CF (Gas/Diesel)
Viscosity Grade SAE = 5W-40
Vis @ 100C, cSt = 15.1
Vis @ 40C, cSt = 94
Viscosity Index = 170
CCS Viscosity, Poise = 55 @ -30C
HTHS Vis, cP @ 150C = 4.6
Pour Point, C = -45
Pour Point, F = -49
Flash Point, C = 250
Flash Point, F = 480
NOACK Evaporation Loss, 1 hr @ 482F (250C), % = 6

I can send anyone the pdf if they want it. By the way, this spec sheet also lists a 5W-20 oil as well.

68redlines, can you e-mail me the pdf too?? THANK YOU!!!
worshippy.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 68redlines73:

quote:

Originally posted by UberWRX:

Thanks,
Jeff

I contacted Red Line and received the following response:

Q: Do you carry an SAE 5W-40 version of your engine oil?

A: Yes, Red Line makes a 5W40 street engine oil.

Q: Must be new since no info on your web site?

A: The 5W40 has been available for about 6 months but isn't listed on the web site.

I requested a PDF version of their spec sheet and got one. Here's the pertinent info:

API Service Class = SL/SJ/SH/CD/CF (Gas/Diesel)
Viscosity Grade SAE = 5W-40
Vis @ 100C, cSt = 15.1
Vis @ 40C, cSt = 94
Viscosity Index = 170
CCS Viscosity, Poise = 55 @ -30C
HTHS Vis, cP @ 150C = 4.6
Pour Point, C = -45
Pour Point, F = -49
Flash Point, C = 250
Flash Point, F = 480
NOACK Evaporation Loss, 1 hr @ 482F (250C), % = 6

I can send anyone the pdf if they want it. By the way, this spec sheet also lists a 5W-20 oil as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back