High or Low HTHS in same weight - Redline vs Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Garak
Helped how, though? Yes, you've explained to us countless times that you've solved the Hemi tick. That's not what I'm talking about, though. I'm talking about doing UOAs, posting UOAs, and interpreting UOAs. I'm not interested in the brand of oil used. I'm talking about how to use UOAs effectively, and one UOA, whether you're running Red Line, any other boutique, or the cheapest oil you find that meets the specification, is meaningless. A lot of times, when looking at the UOA, I don't even look at the brand, unless something specifically draws my attention to it, such as odd viscosity, weird nitration or TBN level, or the appearance of sodium, particularly without a VOA of the same batch being available.

UOAs are about trended analysis, not about comparing parts per million of iron from one brand to another from two snapshot UOAs. If one is hopping from brand to brand, there is very little to look at it in UOA, aside from viscosity, fuel dilution (and that's iffy, too, depending upon the lab), TBN, and coolant intrusion. Most else becomes massive guesswork.

We see it time and time again in the analysis section, where there's residual sodium from a different additive package, or a weird nitration number because we don't have a VOA, and other such things just causing confusion.

Incidentally, who is the one here talking about oil and not containers? There's only one container you're interested in. I have zero problem with that, but don't characterize that as a defect in others while at the same time characterizing it as a virtue in yourself.

thumbsup2.gif

Pimping Redline like it's the universal "solve all" has gotten a bit old. This thread has nothing to do with the 5.7L MDS HEMI, yet StevieC is being chastised for going off topic discussing container design
21.gif
Espousing plumes of virtue regarding an oil's ability, with the mechanism currently unknown, to cure a tick in an unrelated application is as every bit off topic as container design.

Oh I brought up containers, sure. It wouldn't matter what someone brought to the table when redline is concerned around here. You cam have multiple uoa's, multiple people reporting their findings, you can have guys video taping the results, and all of you "oil guys" have zero positive to say. Jesus could rise again and tell you the benefits of this oil and the same crowd here crickets. Look at any redline thread, SAME OL GARBAGE

One trick ponies the lot of you.

Hilarious the guy that said don't read the uoa's they only post the good ones, lol. I haven't laughed so hard for a while. Hate for redline seeps from the same crowds skin, pretty sad group. The uoa's are NEW information Garack for the hemi tick crowd. I don't bother transing around this place pimping redline as a fix with every breath. I could care less, the info is here for those who want it. It is sad what this place has become. Maybe you guys will find a container worth buying.

Originally Posted by burla
Oh I brought up containers, sure. It wouldn't matter what someone brought to the table when redline is concerned around here. You cam have multiple uoa's, multiple people reporting their findings, you can have guys video taping the results, and all of you "oil guys" have zero positive to say. Jesus could rise again and tell you the benefits of this oil and the same crowd here crickets. Look at any redline thread, SAME OL GARBAGE

One trick ponies the lot of you.

Actually, quite a few of us have used Redline lubricants, StevieC included, and had good results. We just aren't promoting it as the magical elixir that has been your bent as of late. And now, getting worked up because some dare cast some skepticism on the applicability of these claims as they pertain to the topic at hand (see opening post in this thread, it isn't a HEMI)? The indignation that you appear to be struck with is appalling. Get a grip! If your expectation is cult-like worship at the altar of Redline, you are truly in the wrong place.

I thought the expert opinion was that a uoa told of the oils condition and serviceability?

If a engine has a design or manufacturing fault, it will not be cured by oil.

I don't bother transing around this place pimping redline as a fix with every breath.

I would suggest going through your post history. You have entire threads that are basically Redline promotion. I'm not claiming that's necessarily a bad thing due to the subject matter it pertains to, it does however seem to have affected your objectivity and appears to have made you somewhat sensitive to discussion where Redline isn't immediately singled out as "the best"
21.gif

You "oil guys" do realize that I'm not the only one saying Redline is killing hemi tick yes? And even when more pieces of the puzzle are revealed, you "oil guys" still do nothing but throw shade. And Pim Tack if hemi tick produces high wear as it does in the uoa's, and then redline not only kills the tick but also stops the excessive wear as it does, would that not suggest it fixed the problem? That the redline provided adequate lubrication where other oils did not? What evidence do you have that it didn't? Since my evidence, or should I say our evidence it was it is, because the hemi tick thread with the video's was not my thread but someone elses, those uoa's are not mine but other folks. You three are oil hacks, you are ignoring something that can help members here because of whatever baggage you have and it is clear to most people who read it. You "geniuses" take the last word, I'm fed up with you. All any of the guys that are doing with their testing and investing in multiple uoa's with multiplier oils is trying to help this issue, and they have done so. Hopefully the record is here to help those who have shelled out 50g's for a hemi and have the manu say oh that is normal, because it is not normal and all you have to do to FIX it is drop in some redline 5w30 and a royal purple filter. It wont FIX them all, but it will FIX most of them. Hemi tick goes quiet, uoa's trend as low as any oil in a hemi, this is a good thing for hemi owners to know. Only to find it you have to sort through these "oil guys" noise.

You "oil guys" do realize that I'm not the only one saying Redline is killing hemi tick yes?

Sure, but you are the only one parading around here spouting off about it in threads where it isn't pertinent to the OP's query, like this one. I've recommended Redline in the past, heck, I recommended it today. The difference is in the presentation and relevance.

And even when more pieces of the puzzle are revealed, you "oil guys" still do nothing but throw shade. And Pim Tack if hemi tick produces high wear as it does in the uoa's, and then redline not only kills the tick but also stops the excessive wear as it does, would that not suggest it fixed the problem? That the redline provided adequate lubrication where other oils did not? What evidence do you have that it didn't? Since my evidence, or should I say our evidence it was it is, because the hemi tick thread with the video's was not my thread but someone elses, those uoa's are not mine but other folks.

And what proof do you have that it legitimately reduces wear? Where's the controlled tear-down testing? Crickets? I think it is fantastic that the tick appears to be alleviated by running the heavier and more fortified lubricant, and I've said that before. But you are venturing into legend and lore territory at this point, and doing it with an attitude.
You three are oil hacks,

I'm not sure who you are calling a "hack" here, but generally, personal insults and labels aren't well regarded in conversation by the moderators on this board. I also don't see any reason for you to be insulting people here
21.gif
This isn't your thread, this isn't your car, and the information you are current presenting isn't in any way relevant to the OP's application, yet you keep piling on, seemingly oblivious to your own mindless bloviation.

you are ignoring something that can help members here because of whatever baggage you have and it is clear to most people who read it. You "geniuses" take the last word, I'm fed up with you. All any of the guys that are doing with their testing and investing in multiple uoa's with multiplier oils is trying to help this issue, and they have done so. Hopefully the record is here to help those who have shelled out 50g's for a hemi and have the manu say oh that is normal, because it is not normal and all you have to do to FIX it is drop in some redline 5w30 and a royal purple filter. It wont FIX them all, but it will FIX most of them. Hemi tick goes quiet, uoa's trend as low as any oil in a hemi, this is a good thing for hemi owners to know. Only to find it you have to sort through these "oil guys" noise.

Again, for the 30th time, the OP doesn't own a HEMI:
Looking to move up a weight, from 5w-20 to a 5w-30, in my 2.4l gema engine with 68k miles.

You shot off your mouth at StevieC because he criticized the Redline bottle design (oh the humanity!) and scolded him for going off-topic, yet here you are, completely unhinged, calling people names and repeating your "HEMI cure" story for the 3 billionth time in a thread where the OP doesn't own a bloody HEMI!

AS A HEMI OWNER <---- ME, I own a HEMI, I've owned three of them now, a 5.7L and 2x 6.4L's, I'm sick of reading it. You have entire threads dedicated to the topic, if somebody, who owns a HEMI, has the tick, point them to one of your threads, recite your epic, have fun! But when you come into somebody else's thread and blow your top because somebody points out that "Story Time with burla" isn't applicable, expect some bloody push-back.

Anyone can throw a thick viscosity oil in any engine and make it quieter. Unscrupulous used car salesmen do it all the time. It doesn't cure anything. It masks the problem.

And Pim Tack if hemi tick produces high wear as it does in the uoa's, and then redline not only kills the tick but also stops the excessive wear as it does, would that not suggest it fixed the problem? That the redline provided adequate lubrication where other oils did not? What evidence do you have that it didn't? Since my evidence, or should I say our evidence it was it is, because the hemi tick thread with the video's was not my thread but someone elses, those uoa's are not mine but other folks.

Individual UOAs are data points and not indicative of wear. That's been posted here time and time again. Note that when people have cherry picked one Red Line UOA and complained about how poorly Red Line did, I commented to not get into a panic over PPM levels with entirely different base stocks, additive chemistry, and viscosity within grade.

^^^ Let me guess, another "oil guy"? ^^^

I guess I will have to live with helping one individual the OP as he stated it was helpful. As for the rest of you "oil guys", I hear they are talking about containers on another thread, hurry up you can get your 2 cents in.

Originally Posted by Cipriano
Looking to move up a weight, from 5w-20 to a 5w-30, in my 2.4l gema engine with 68k miles. I've been using PP 5w20 but have been perusing the 5w30 Redline and Amsoil lines. Amsoil SS has a HTHS of 3.1, but Redline HTHS jumps up to 3.7. Why the big difference and is 3.7 too thick for my 4-banger? I'm not too worried about ambient temprtures as they are fairly moderate and this car is garaged.

What about Red Line 5W20 ?
HTHS 3.0.
NOACK 8.
VI 147.
Vis at 100 degrees Centigrade Cst 9.0 .

A hair thinner than Amsoil 5W30.
Just asking, with the knowledge that you wanted a 5W30.
This includes adjusting for Red Line's propensity to be on the thick side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back