AMSOIL USERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering, is amsoil really the money, if cost was not a factor would people use amsoil over other syns. I use amsoil 15w40 in my marine engine and am starting to use it in my 04 5.4 asl 5w30. Thanks for your comments

It all depends on how you view your vehicle. Some of us look at our cars and see a transportation device while others look at our cars and see then as part of us. The latter will probably buy high quality oils for their vehicles and keep up all maintenance while the former will buy the cheapest oil - run it as long as possible and neglect the other stuff.

I see my car as something I want to keep as long as possible. So I buy what I believe to be the best possible for it (synthetic power steering (Valvoline synpower), synthetic transmission fluid (Royal Purple), synthetic motor oil (Amsoil)). My UOAs are close to perfect and I'm happy.

However, that said - the difference between the pricey synthetic oils and your normal everyday oil is not all that different. In a daily driver - normal oil and synthetic oil will make the engine outlast the car unless you're doing 500k miles a year. In a performance engine (turbo, high HP) - synthetic is necessary to withstand high heat and shearing. Synthetics usually focus on long drain intervals (10k+ miles) while normal oil should be changed around 5k miles.

If you what what is best - buy the best. I believe Amsoil creates some of the best oils out there (make sure to buy from Pablo - our Amsoil Site Sponsor). That is why I use it in my daily driver.
cheers.gif

Last edited:
Good points OH.

I would add that it depends on the type of vehicle/climate and drain intervals. For under 8k mile drains, Amsoil is probably not worth it to most people. For extended drain intervals, I would say it is worth it. (Sales people/Fleets/Turbo's/Alaska etc.)

What we hae seen over the last few years is a dramatic improvement in oil quality among conventional oils due to the latest API SM specifications. This has closed the gap between your synthetics and conventional based oils.

I am an Amsoil user myself. I obviously think their products are good, probably better than most. If you are looking at things from strictly a cost standpoint, then there are many things to consider. I would agree that conventional oils are closing the gap, however.

That said, the main reason I buy Amsoil is because it is convenient. I have spent too many hours driving from one place to another trying to find what I want. Amsoil makes it easy to order exactly what I want without having to waste gas and time trying to find it. They have a pretty full product line and I can get it all in one place and have it shipped to my door.

One place I think Amsoil really stands out is in their new EAO oil filters. Others will probably create the same filter (it's not revolutionary, but I believe Amsoil is the only one really marketing an expensive microglass filter to the public).

cheers.gif

I would use Amsoil if I could get it on the BOGO free specials like PP. Otherwise, I'm using PP. When there are no more great otc syn oil specials, I'll probably start ordering Amsoil, for the same reasons Laminar Lou (the OTHER Lou!
wink.gif
) said.

Quote:

I'll probably start ordering Amsoil, for the same reasons Laminar Lou (the OTHER Lou!
wink.gif
) said.

Hey, I was here a whole month before you so I think you should get the distinction of the "Other Lou".
laugh.gif

The Penn Platinum seems to be a good choice around here. I actually tried to find it out here once but couldn't find the 5W20. Can you believe that? My theory is that in my area the people who are changing the oil themselves are doing it out of necessity and they generally have older cars that don't spec the 5W20. That will probably change in time, but until then I can't even find it at wally world. And, well the Amsoil Xl 5W20 seems to work pretty good for me (but I am going to give that new 0W20 a try in the next OCI).

Quote:

Hey, I was here a whole month before you so I think you should get the distinction of the "Other Lou".
laugh.gif

The Penn Platinum seems to be a good choice around here. I actually tried to find it out here once but couldn't find the 5W20. Can you believe that? My theory is that in my area the people who are changing the oil themselves are doing it out of necessity and they generally have older cars that don't spec the 5W20. That will probably change in time, but until then I can't even find it at wally world. And, well the Amsoil Xl 5W20 seems to work pretty good for me (but I am going to give that new 0W20 a try in the next OCI).

Yeah, I guess I'm the "other Lou"...I should have checked your join date first.
frown.gif

I'm surprised you can't find PP 5W-20 out there, with all the Hondas in CA. But I've noticed it's usually harder to find almost any brand of 5W-20 here than all the other regulars, specifically 5W-30 and 10W-30.

Hacker hit the nail on the head and IMO Amsoil makes some excellent products.

In my case I average 9-11K miles a year, a mix of highway and short trips, thus I go for the BOGO sales.

For the most part do a twice annual OCI but run the good filters "AEO" or Mobil 1 extended". I do a yearly filter change but dump the filter in between at OC time.

If the BOGO sales come to an end and/or my current stock dries up, things will be re-evaluated.

When you have $100K plus invested in your "car" you employe the best tuners/wrenches/oil anyalysis experts etc. to insure 2 things. Maximum performance and longevity of that performance. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was trying to apply my shade tree "science" to Blackstone UOA's. Now I have a expert doing it for me and making recommendations. So if the recommendation is Amsoil then that is what I get. If I have to sell mt grandkids...I get it.
Flip side is I know guys with $10K rat rod junkers. Headers all rusted out. Fuel spewing all over everywhere....but by golly they got $6 per quart oil in there!
smile.gif

Quote:

Yeah, I guess I'm the "other Lou"...I should have checked your join date first.
frown.gif

Just yanking your chain!

Quote:

I'm surprised you can't find PP 5W-20 out there, with all the Hondas in CA. But I've noticed it's usually harder to find almost any brand of 5W-20 here than all the other regulars, specifically 5W-30 and 10W-30.

I know, it's amazing to me sometimes. Maybe I've got it backwards and it is just so popular that it won't stay on the shelves. Then again, I only know 1 or 2 people that actually change their oil and the cars parked at the local Kragen parking lot are usually 10 years or older. Us SoCal drivers like to just take it to the car wash and have the oil change while we are there and get it over with. Most of the oil change/car wash places will give you a deal when you do both. And seriously, when you are paying $25 for an oil change that includes a free carwash a lot of people don't see the value of doing it themselves. I'm just nuts I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back