Amsoil SS vs. XL vs OE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a used 2006 Saab Aero v6 2.3T and my manual says to use synthethic oil that has the LL-A-025 rating. Well, Amsoil has 3 that have this spec. The SS, XL and OE. I'm a bit of an old schooler and have always used synthethics when changing my oil at 5000mile intervals. Now this newer Saab says 10000 miles or 1 year. To me that is way too many miles for an oil change. I know I know we have such better oil now but it's hard to change when one has such good success with 5K miles. I've had bad experience with Mobil 1 running 10K miles before an oil change. But, if I was gonna change my oil every 5000 miles would it really make a difference which oil type I use? The SS is the highest price oil and the longest oil change intervals but the XL looks like it has good life but is less expensive that might make sense to use and drain every 5000. The OE might be a to low of a grade but changing at 5000 mile might be a very good alternative. What do you think?

I would not bother with Amsoil motor oil unless you get the top shelf. I do not think the XL and OE make sense as others you can get at Walmart are better for less money.

Amsoil ATF and SVG are a different story. There is much less choice locally in premium ATF or gear oil.

The problem I had with Mobil 1 was blown engine. That was many years ago when Mobil 1 just came out. I personally think it had more to do with the oil filter. I think that's the week link in 10K intervals and not necessarily the oil. I never had any issues with changing my other Saab 9-3 and 9-5 4cylinders with the Amsoil European full sapps. That's why I'm kinda partial with Amsoil. Good success mean happy consumer.

Speaking of ATF that's my next question. What type would you guys suggest?

Originally Posted By: BuckyB262
The problem I had with Mobil 1 was blown engine. That was many years ago when Mobil 1 just came out. I personally think it had more to do with the oil filter.
So, in actuality, you do not know that M1 caused any problems with the engine and you are guessing/assuming?

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
If you're going to only be doing 5k OCIs - I'd pick the OE - it will do just fine.

Yep, OE is the definitely up to the task for 5k.

Last edited:
rest assured, you will not blow an engine from M1. as far as amsoil, if I had a turbocharged car, I would run the SS; as it has the highest tolerance for elevated temperatures - which your turbo will produce. I'm sure that the XL would be fine; but if you're gonna spend the coin on Amsoil - get the best.

You can go 5k on amsoil oe absolutely no problem. 10k on xl easily and 10k and well beyond on ss.But if your only going 5k I'd stick with Dino. If your just not comfy with Dion or store brand synthetics,I'd go with the Amsoil or, Quaker state or Pennzoil. Qsud at Wal-Mart is $21 5qt jug.So not bad and excelent product. U won't have a bad experience from it.

The OE will do well for a 5k mile interval. It sounds like you arent into long drains so i would stick with the OE as it will be a good syn oil at a good price.

OE is very affordable when bought by the case with a PC or dealer license. OP if you like Amsoil i see no reason not to use OE in that Saab.

It will be plenty good for the turbo Saab. It is likely a Group III syn, and it is API GF5 SN rated. The GF5 and SN certs meet Turbo standards.

Last edited:
The problem I had with Mobil 1 was blown engine. That was many years ago when Mobil 1 just came out. I personally think it had more to do with the oil filter. I think that's the week link in 10K intervals and not necessarily the oil. I never had any issues with changing my other Saab 9-3 and 9-5 4cylinders with the Amsoil European full sapps. That's why I'm kinda partial with Amsoil. Good success mean happy consumer.

I too would like to hear the connection to the oil, or how this filter failed and caused a blown engine. Which one was it, the oil or the filter?

So would 10K = 1 year for you? If that's the case, put the SS Amsoil in and just run it. SS is capable of much more than 10K.

If you have to do 5K runs, use the OE.

seems the big difference in Amsoil products you mentioned is the higher TBN for longer changes. they have been "sliding" away from the better PAO base oils in favor of Group III highly refined crude oil legally "synthetic". you could easily use most 10-30 group III synthetic + beefing it up with a qt of redline ester based oil is a good move. pennzoil platinum specs are good what they show. if you are using oil a 10-40 would be better, it worked for my 2001 TT 225Q

Last edited:
Benjy, Amsoil SS is majority PAO base stock, their XL and OE however, are not... Not saying there isnt any PAO in them.

If you want 5k intervals, go with OE.

let's start with I'm very biased, having been using and selling AMSOIL for almost 40 years, and using it in Saabs for that long.
I recommend the SS--it give you and extra margin of safety in case of problems.

A friend runs a shop that primarily services Scandinavian cars.
He uses the SS as his main shop oil. We've discussed the XL and OE, and his attitude is that the customers deserve the best he can give them, and he doesn't worry about them running longer than recommended. He also uses AMSOIL in all of his personal toys (boats, etc)

Yep, it could cost you a few more bucks a year--I run the SS in my 96 Saab 900 that my wife uses for almost 3500 miles a year (of course, I change it every couple of years)

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
The problem I had with Mobil 1 was blown engine. That was many years ago when Mobil 1 just came out. I personally think it had more to do with the oil filter.
So, in actuality, you do not know that M1 caused any problems with the engine and you are guessing/assuming?

Yep. He has no idea what caused the failure but blames the oil just because

HILLARIOUS

I'll stick to my very successful proven method of buying on sale syns,for 10000 miles. Never had an engine failure,never had an engine "wear out" and saved money vs boutique oils I don't need.
And the Amsoil you mentioned isn't certified. It "meets or exceeds". Huge difference.

Last edited:
I just purchased a used 2006 Saab Aero v6 2.3T and my manual says to use synthethic oil that has the LL-A-025 rating. Well, Amsoil has 3 that have this spec. The SS, XL and OE. I'm a bit of an old schooler and have always used synthethics when changing my oil at 5000mile intervals. Now this newer Saab says 10000 miles or 1 year. To me that is way too many miles for an oil change. I know I know we have such better oil now but it's hard to change when one has such good success with 5K miles. I've had bad experience with Mobil 1 running 10K miles before an oil change. But, if I was gonna change my oil every 5000 miles would it really make a difference which oil type I use? The SS is the highest price oil and the longest oil change intervals but the XL looks like it has good life but is less expensive that might make sense to use and drain every 5000. The OE might be a to low of a grade but changing at 5000 mile might be a very good alternative. What do you think?

Hey BuckyB262 – you’re right, just “extending” oil drains simply because you are using a synthetic can be problematic if consideration isn’t also given to the type driving that will be done during that oil drain interval (towing a boat? Shorter stop-and-go driving? Long highway miles? Etc.). Having that said, motor oil technology has advanced over years. Specifically, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 with PurePlus Technology meets your Saab GM-LL-A-025 synthetic oil specification, and is a full synthetic oil that has been developed and formulated for OEM-specified oil drains.

While we would recommend that you follow your OEM manual for the type of oil to use (synthetic), the specification required (GM-LL-A-025), and the oil drain interval that you should subscribe to – we would also be remiss if we did not recommend the use of used oil analysis to verify the oil drain interval that you decide on. For example, perhaps you could change your oil at 5,000 miles, and then check the condition of the used oil with a certified oil analysis lab. If the condition of the oil still looks good, perhaps you go 8,000 miles during your next oil drain....then change and check the oil, etc. This kind of scientific step-up of your oil drain does two things: 1) not only does it put your mind at ease, with regard to your oil/engine condition while you determine your appropriate oil drain, but 2) you can scientifically study your oil/engine condition, which will take into account the driving conditions during that oil drain. Hope this helps! - The Pennzoil Team

GenaFishbeck, technically the LL-A-025 spec has been superseded by dexos1, and Ultra does meet dexos1 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back