AMSOIL Signature 5w20 w/bypass setup '03 Honda CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
KM on OIL 5000km (3100 miles) 190,000km on vehicle (118,000 miles)

AMSOIL Signature Series 5w20 w/ dual remote bypass filter & EAO air filter

Blackstone Note: Aside from giving your engine oil a slight (temporary) purple tint and causing sodium to read a little higher than it would otherwise read, adding the Royal Purple didn't hurt anything. Wear metals look great in this sample compared to univeral averages, which are based on ~11,000km on the oil for this engine. You mentioned some worn valve seals, but we're not seeing any real side effects from that. The oil looks good overall. The TBN was plenty strong and your bypass filter is keeping insolubles nice and low. Put 4000km more on this oil. Some units of 0 were omitted.

Al. 3
Chrome 0
Iron 3
Copper 1
Lead 0
Tin 3
Moly 137
Nickel 0
Manganese 1
Boron 148
Silicon 11
Sodium 27
Calcium 3408
Mag. 13
Phos. 707
Zinc 781

SUS Viscosity @ 210 F 53.1
cSt Viscosity @ 100 C 8.20
Flashpoint in F 385
Fuel % Antifreeze 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.1
TBN 8.8

So this was my first UOA! Anyways, I accidentally put a little bit of Royal Purple 1/4 qt in the mix, 6.5 qt capacity with the bypass setup now (normally < 5 qt). The valve seals I know are worn, and I plan to replace them myself ( I have some good quality Viton units here waiting)... not sure if it will change anything in the UOA or not? It will puff a quick cloud of smoke on startup sometimes (happening less often lately, however) and it can foul the spark plugs (I have seen some evidence of this) and carbon buildup the valves. This issue was there before I installed the bypass unit 5000km ago, and I am not really worried about it, it's something that I am going to fix sometime in the coming months (dreading it). It does burn some oil because of the worn seals, however.

This report doesn't really show us much, especially the low KM, but I hope to see some good reports on the coming reports, which I would like to see going up to at least 40 to 50,000 km on before dumping the sump. [img:left]http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/sethhu...?sort=3&o=3[/img]

Last edited:
That is cool - I have been considering a bypass setup myself...easy install?

There is another guy on here that runs his Amsoil 40k miles(66k km) with a bypass setup, but adds a quart every 1000 miles.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Kuato
That is cool - I have been considering a bypass setup myself...easy install?

There is another guy on here that runs his Amsoil 40k miles(66k km) with a bypass setup, but adds a quart every 1000 miles.

Actually he's only up to about a quart every 3-4k I believe. 11 quarts in 41k miles.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3399277/Amsoil_0W-30_41K_OCI_w/bypass_

Whups yeah sorry, you are right 3-4k.

Yes, it was pretty easy to install, so long as you have enough room... otherwise you have to go with the single remote bypass element. I love the fact that I don't have to deal with filters under the car and getting oil everywhere.

I am aware of that other guy that has the S2000 w/ bypass filter... speaking of which I am going to check out his reports again...

What do you guys think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back