Amsoil SAE250 Gear lube as chain lubricant?

Should be good for the chain but it will fling and get on the tire when first put on. I'm still searching for the perfect chain lube, have yet to find one that does it all.

Originally Posted By: cven
Should be good for the chain but it will fling and get on the tire when first put on. I'm still searching for the perfect chain lube, have yet to find one that does it all.
If you find something even close to good PLEASE post your results. They all say their's is best but I'm still looking for passable. What are you using for street bikes. Smoky the searcher

Have you looked at this product? Sounds like it does what you want it to do. AMSOIL MPHD is the product of choice for metal surfaces that require a heavy duty lubricant or are exposed to the damaging effects of salt, moisture or chemical corrosion. It is ideal for hinges, wire ropes and springs, nuts and bolts, motorcycle or bicycle chains, and for undercoating wheelwells and other metal surfaces exposed to water, dirt or road salt.

Anyone looking for the perfect chain lube, there isn't one, however I've got a recommendation. I use BG White lightning lube. It used to be at any dealer, but hard to get any more for some reason. Napa auto parts can order it is where I got it last. It sprays on like a foam then is basically just oil, so freely gets into the rollers. Yes it flings on your wheel and frame, but a few minutes with a dry rag wipes it right off. Try that with PJ1 and the like that are a real mess. I don't know how you ride or what you expect out of a chain for mileage. I expect 60,000 miles out of a chain and always get it using BG. Of course my motorcycles are old and worn, not 150hp, just transportation for me.

Regarding spray on white lithium grease. If you spray it on and let the chain sit overnight the liquid carrier will dry and the grease turns waxy. When dry, it will not fling off. I also use it on the inside of control cables that I can remove the core from, such a tachometer cables. I pull the drive line from inside the cable housing and spray white lithium inside, re-insert the drive line and spin it a few times for good circulation. I also use it on exposed ends of cables. Gets the job done and hey, you got to love the smell of that stuff. As far as chain lube goes, white lithium might be the cleanest lube other than a clear light oil or WD-40. Don't laugh, I know of guys who have been using WD-40 exclusively for years on chain driven dual sport bikes and have been getting well over 20000 miles to a good quality O-ring chain. Some claim that the WD-40 removes the grease from the O-rings. In reality, if applied lightly, it will not remove the grease and will actually add a small amount of lubrication to the outside of the O-rings that may have been washed off by rain/water. I normally do a cleaning with a light wash of WD-40, give it the white lithium and let it sit over night. Get the back wheel off of the ground when doing chain maintenance. You'll do a much better job and it will be less of a pain in the a$$ to do.