Amsoil MTF for Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i have been looking at the properties of what i'm currently running in my civic. It looks like it is a around 2cSt more visocous compared to Honda MTF and 5w20 alternative that they recommend in the manual.
I've emailed Amsoil asking what they think about it and here are their replies:

The AMSOIL MTF is going to be the best lubricant to use in this manual transmission. The use of engine oil would only be a temporary recommendation, and may be harmful if used for the long-term.

Both AMSOIL MTF and Honda MTF are (5W)30 viscosity. The specifications for SAE 30 say the viscosity must fall within the range of 6.9 and 12.3 cSt at 100 deg. C. . This shows us that both oils fall into the same acceptable range.

These are two different folks replying to my question.
Obviously they ate wrong on Honda recommendation of 30 weight. That said, i kind of wonder, how are they recommending this fluid for this particular application if they don't even know what is Honda's spec? Thoughts?

This shows us that both oils fall into the same acceptable range.

I consider Amsoil being on thicker part of a range as quite right in claiming compliance, vis a vis a Honda mtf being on the thinner side of similar viscosity range.
Amsoil guys know what they are talking about, IMHO.

I ran Amsoil MTF in my 2003 Civic for about 100,000 miles with no issues. It did improve the shifting when the trans was cold.

Originally Posted by parshisa

Both AMSOIL MTF and Honda MTF are (5W)30 viscosity. The specifications for SAE 30 say the viscosity must fall within the range of 6.9 and 12.3 cSt at 100 deg. C. . This shows us that both oils fall into the same acceptable range.

The SAE J300 states that a 30 grade oil will have a kinematic viscosity of 9.3 cSt - <12.5 cSt @ 100ºC. I've gotten to where I don't believe a word this company publishes. There are so many discrepancies in their statements and applications that it can't all be by mistake.

I am running it in my 09 Civic. I have tried several including Redline over the years in Various Honda/Acura manuals. I prefer the Amsoil over all others and will not switch brands again.

Here's from the manual. How come Amsoil doesn't know that??? hmmmmmmm

unnamed.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FowVay
Originally Posted by parshisa

The SAE J300 states that a 30 grade oil will have a kinematic viscosity of 9.3 cSt - div>

Amsoil did NOT publish that. You are getting it 2nd or 3rd hand on a forum website. I will maybe guess a new tech support person made a typo.

Parisha - please PM with the full email and name, or just forward me the email. Thanks!

As for the original question. What exactly did you ask Amsoil and what year and model Honda?

What is published is this:

Manual Transmission,E5CC......GLS42 [1]
All TEMPS......
Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30 (MTFQT)

[1] Honda Manual Transmission Fluid, P/N 08798-9031. This
fluid is backwards compatible with Honda Manual Transmission
Fluid, P/N 08798-9016.

Here's my original request:

Good morning. I have a question with regards to Amsoil MTF that I've installed around 7,000mi ago in my 2017 Civic HB 6MT. Data bulletin states that this fluid is a direct replacement for Honda MTF, although it's viscosity is significantly higher compered to Honda MTF - 9.7cSt vs 7.5cSt. That being said, does this significant difference in viscosity makes it unsuitable for my application? are there any downsides to having more viscous fluid in the gearbox? Can this cause lack of lubrication in the input shaft bearing? For the reference, I live in TX so car is never exposed to below freezing temperatures. Thanks for your help

And here's the second one:

Thank you for the feedback. Below is the screencap from my Honda Civic's owners manual, and it states that as a temporary replacement to Honda MTF 0/5w20 motor oil can be used, and not SAE30.
That said, do you see the difference in the viscosity being a problem for this particular application? Should I continue using Amsoil MTF or switch back to OEM recommended fluid?

I'm responding to your question: "How come Amsoil doesn't know that?"

I going to guess the reason Amsoil's representatives don't know now what Honda has written in the 2017 owner's manual -- and, frankly, that's asking a lot -- is because for years (decades, actually) Honda owner's manuals said almost the same thing, except that rather than indicating that SAE 0W-20 or 5W-20 viscosity motor oil could be used as a temporary substitute for Honda MTF, Honda indicated that 5W-30 weight motor oil could be used. In fact, long before Honda started branding its own MTF, 5W-30 weight motor oil was the recommended fill.

However, the takeaway from Amsoil's response that's noteworthy is the fact that their product -- i.e., Amsoil Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid -- has a CSt comparable to 5W-30 weight motor oil. (Actually, I think Amsoil's MTF has a CSt of approximately 9.5.) That viscosity, among other properties of Amsoil's MTF, is why (IMHO) it works as well as it does. And it does work well. Really well.

go Redline its the BEST!!! + they unlike amsoil tell you more about whats in their lubricants, UNLIKE OTHERS that won't answer questions + just advertise + advertise to push overpriced products!!

Just to be clear folks, I'm not bashing on Amsoil by any means, I'm using two of their products in my civic and am pretty happy thus far. Although, I'm trying to figure out (perhaps I should've done it prior to installing the fluid) if the MTF is a good fit for my application. Hope this makes sense.

Originally Posted by Hounds
I'm responding to your question: "How come Amsoil doesn't know that?"

I going to guess the reason Amsoil's representatives don't know now what Honda has written in the 2017 owner's manual -- and, frankly, that's asking a lot -- is because for years (decades, actually) Honda owner's manuals said almost the same thing, except that rather than indicating that SAE 0W-20 or 5W-20 viscosity motor oil could be used as a temporary substitute for Honda MTF, Honda indicated that 5W-30 weight motor oil could be used. In fact, long before Honda started branding its own MTF, 5W-30 weight motor oil was the recommended fill.

However, the takeaway from Amsoil's response that's noteworthy is the fact that their product -- i.e., Amsoil Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid -- has a CSt comparable to 5W-30 weight motor oil. (Actually, I think Amsoil's MTF has a CSt of approximately 9.5.) That viscosity, among other properties of Amsoil's MTF, is why (IMHO) it works as well as it does. And it does work well. Really well.
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back