Amsoil MCF 10W-40, 2011 Ninja 1000, 4964 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ninja_oil_analysis_5.jpg

The latest from my Ninja 1000.

Previous UOA's here - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2731682

I still have the fuel dilution but that's not really a surprise. Other than the copper it appears with 15K miles on the bike the numbers are stable now. It is sort of amazing that with 4.5% fuel the Amsoil was still in grade.

Otherwise I'm not too sure what to think about this report. Comments welcome!

Last edited:
The silicon was from the first report (look at sample date). What happened to the copper, however?

Nice bike BTW.......

Right. The high silicon was the first UOA.

I don't know where the copper is coming from since everything else looks OK to me. Clutch possibly? It does have a water/oil heat exchanger but I don't know that any of the passages in it are copper.

It's not perfect. But for me it's been the nicest bike I've ever owned and I've owned a few. I still smile every time I ride it.

Last edited:
That is very notable that it stayed in grade with that much fuel dilution, for that amount of mileage on the oil. I'm guessing you run the bike pretty hard, too. I think its a great report.

i would not call magnesium up 25% and copper up 90% as stable.

does the clutch basket have a brass or copper input shaft sleave?
or other shafts have any sleaves/bushings?

steve

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
That is very notable that it stayed in grade with that much fuel dilution, for that amount of mileage on the oil. I'm guessing you run the bike pretty hard, too. I think its a great report.

The bike gets ridden fast in the open but doesn't really get ridden hard if you get me. No burnouts, wheelies or other squid stuff. I'm still surprised at the viscosity with all the fuel.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
i would not call magnesium up 25% and copper up 90% as stable.

does the clutch basket have a brass or copper input shaft sleave?
or other shafts have any sleaves/bushings?

steve

There are assorted bushings and thrust washers in the clutch/transmission but I'm not sure which are copper components since I've not had one of these engines apart yet. All the shafts run on roller bearings of course and the input bearing is a caged needle. Clutch/transmission or clutch mechanism is a good guess as to where the copper is coming from but I can't be sure.

Not sure what could be done about it in any case... The metals related to engine wear seem to be stable.

I'd be happier if I could get rid of the excess fuel. Maybe a pipe this winter will help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jsharp

Not sure what could be done about it in any case... The metals related to engine wear seem to be stable.

I'd be happier if I could get rid of the excess fuel. Maybe a pipe this winter will help.

how do you think that copper is not engine wear? yes some oil coolers can add, but i seriously doubt that one in use will add 90%!

remap the efi...a pipe may actually make it worse..but could get better. i doubt the pipe fixes your fuel dilution.

steve

Originally Posted By: jsharp

how do you think that copper is not engine wear? yes some oil coolers can add, but i seriously doubt that one in use will add 90%!

remap the efi...a pipe may actually make it worse..but could get better. i doubt the pipe fixes your fuel dilution.

steve

I was differentiating between engine and transmission wear. I think I can be fairly sure it's something in the transmission that's throwing the copper. But short of tearing down a perfectly good engine I don't know how I'd find it.

These bikes are pig rich with the factory mapping and none of the ECU re-flashes that people have done have worked very well. I'm convinced the factory set them up rich to keep the cat hot and protect the engine from ever having a lean condition that might cause damage.

It seems like the place to start dealing with the fuel dilution is to get the fuel mapping right. With the stock pipe/cat there's no bung for an O2 sensor so it would be difficult to tune properly if I installed say a PC-V. The cat occupies the ideal spot for the sensor if I did pull the pipe and find someone to weld a bung on. The pipe is titanium so I won't be doing that in my shop.

The reason to think about an aftermarket pipe is this. People that have installed an Akra pipe and done dyno runs report the fuel mixtures look good with the pipe installed and stock mapping. That appears to be an easy if not cheap way to resolve this with the added benefit of 15+- more HP.

Last edited:
yes true....hard to say if its motor or tranny...but in a shared sump we dont get that choice.

honda crf250r's shed copper big time...just about when the conrod on the crank bearing goes boom out the bottom end. no i dont think you have this issue...just saying its not always tranny.

well with data like that then yes it is possible that a pipe clears it up.

yes true....hard to say if its motor or tranny...but in a shared sump we dont get that choice.

honda crf250r's shed copper big time...just about when the conrod on the crank bearing goes boom out the bottom end. no i dont think you have this issue...just saying its not always tranny.

well with data like that then yes it is possible that a pipe clears it up.

I'd be worried more if I saw some other metals elevated. But they appear to be mostly stable or still falling if we look at ppm/mileage. The magnesium is a little puzzling but I wonder if the additive package has changed slightly? Calcium is up too.

I really think I'll see better numbers when I get the mapping fixed and get rid of all the fuel. Still, with all that fuel the Amsoil stayed in grade. That's a reasonable testimonial for the oil I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back