Amsoil HDD 5W30 15,000 KM 2005 Echo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 25,000 KM
Oil: 15,000 KM

No make-up oil added. Amsoil bypass filter installed. First column is this sample, second is new oil. I am thinking of running this out to 30,000 KM and re-sampling. Any thoughts?

code:

Tin 2 0

Lead 1 0

Copper 3 0

Aluminum 4 0

Silicon 18 4

Iron 19 3

Chromium 0.5 0.3

Silver 0 0

Zinc 1100 1350

Magnesium 9 5

Nickel 0 0

Barium 0 0

Sodium 4 1

Calcium 2000+ 4800

Vanadium 0 0

Phosphorus 950 1250

Molybdenum 7 0

Boron 6 0

Manganese 0.8 0

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES

Viscosity (D445) @ 100ºC 10.26 11.92

Water (D4007) (% v/v) 0 0

Solids (D4007) (% v/v)
Glycol No

Fuel Dilution No

Report is good, but keep an eye on Silicon as the Fe is a bit high for a Toyota.

I am thinking that iron is slightly elevated due to the fact that it is a relatively new engine. (?)

Engine was still breaking in during this period ...I think you'll see these wear rates stabilize at a lower level.

High silicon levels in new Toyota/Ford engines are primarily from seal/gasket, leaching of "silicone" and not from dirt. Chrome, Aluminum are very low here and there is no nickel present from abrasive wear of intake valves. So you're in good shape with regards to the intake system components.

Recommend changing the FF oil filter at this point; top off the crankcase and re-test @ 30,000 km. Depending on solids level, I might advise changing the bypass filter element at that point, along with the FF filter.

Finally, a TBN test @ 30,000 km would be strongly recommended, although the oil condition looks excellent at this point.

Tooslick

Looks like it has sheared nearly 14%, and lost about 20% of its Zn/P.

This is reported as problematic in other oils.

wear looks good.

Some of this loss of viscosity is fuel dilution due to the cold weather. It's probably reported as "O" if it's < 1.0% - but it could very easily be 0.9% in this sample. Having said that, I've noticed these multi-valve Toyota engines do shear the oil somewhat. I saw the same thing with my timing chain and gear driven cams on the 2.4L Tacoma engine.

The additive levels in the used oil looks a bit off to me. I'd have to question the accuracy of that data; particularly the calcium level.

TS

Metrotech in Calgary - they have a good reputation.

TooSlick - are you referring to the calcium in the new oil or the sample? For some reason, Metrotech maxes out with calcium at 2000, they always seem to report this way. I was surprised to see them report over 2000 for the new oil.

Regarding the shearing - if this oil can be sheared down by a Toyota engine, how can it be expected to do well in a diesel engine with timing gears, highly-pressurized oil for injectors etc.?

Tommy,

The Series 3000 holds up like a rock in commercial diesel engines - better than the Amsoil 15w-40 in fact. I've seen lots of field test data over the last eight years it's been available, some of which is on the Amsoil website under "Performance Tests". I've never seen a sample shear out of grade in an actual engine.

Ted

Tommy,

Min spec for an SAE 5w-30 is 9.3 Cst, so you're well above that - this formulation never get to that level unless you have severe fuel dilution.

The moly is residue from the factory fill. It will take several changes for it to drop to 0 ppm.

TS

Last time I checked with Amsoils lab, Ca was running about 3600 ppm for this formulation and the TBN was in the 12.5-13.0 range.

I'll see if I can't find some recent data and let you know.

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back