Amsoil Gear Oil in 2007 Honda Element Manual Trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual recommends Honda fluid (ATF) in the manual. This seems pretty 'thin' to me. Any reason I cannot use a synthetic gear oil instead? Will it cause increased wear? If anything, I think shifting should be a lot smoother than it is. Any thoughts?

Jack

Specifically which Honda fluid spec?

No, you should NOT step up to a gear oil when requiring ATF.
But, if weather allows, a mildly thicker synthetic manual tranny fluid would be a good choice.

Try the Honda MTF straight from the dealer. Other options are the Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF, RoyalPurple Synchromax, and Pennzoil/Texaco Synchromesh.

Quote:

Specifically which Honda fluid spec?

No, you should NOT step up to a gear oil when requiring ATF.
But, if weather allows, a mildly thicker synthetic manual tranny fluid would be a good choice.

Try the Honda MTF straight from the dealer. Other options are the Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF, RoyalPurple Synchromax, and Pennzoil/Texaco Synchromesh.

I thought the penzzoil synchromesh was a dino...?

Quote:

The manual recommends Honda fluid (ATF) in the manual. This seems pretty 'thin' to me. Any reason I cannot use a synthetic gear oil instead? Will it cause increased wear? If anything, I think shifting should be a lot smoother than it is. Any thoughts?

Jack

Are you sure it's ATF??? Honda manual tranny's take MTF. I checked the Amsoil site for your application and it's the same as my 2004 Civic. MTF

I have it in my tranny and it works great. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure it takes: 1. Honda MT fluid, P/N 08798-9016

The equivalent, with plenty of good feedback: Amsoil MTF

Please buy Amsoil from a site sponsor, if you use the link in the previous post, enter #515729 when prompted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back