Amsoil Filter Disappeared (Toyota 2.4L)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So on the Toyota 2.4L engine would it be acceptable to run an extended drain interval (approx 15K, 1yr) utilizing Amsoil's 25K 5W30 and using any off the shelf standard filter as long it is changed according to the OEM Drain Interval of 5K or 7.5K miles (basically changing filter 1-2 times) ?

McGeorge Toyota is selling the 90915-1004 OE filters. http://mcgeorgeparts.com/Scripts/default.asp
The media is much thicker than any full flow I've seen, and the construction is tops. I think it is probably the best stock filter for the car made, but it is imported, if that's an issue. I am not buying the sludge story on the 2.4 too much. Any engine running cold for 25k miles will be prone to sludge IMO. Using a 195 deg F thermostat, or higher, and long trips with few cold weather starts maybe it is OK with the best oils and a bypass filter.

Is the Mann filter supposed to be a higher quality than the Wix? I'm getting ready to gp with another fill of Amsoil SS0, and at least a 15k OCI. The last 15k OCI on SSO and an Amsoil filter went fine........

You're someone who probably doesn't have to worry about it. Unfortunately there are too many who potentially should.

Originally Posted By: y2k600f4
So on the Toyota 2.4L engine would it be acceptable to run an extended drain interval (approx 15K, 1yr) utilizing Amsoil's 25K 5W30 and using any off the shelf standard filter as long it is changed according to the OEM Drain Interval of 5K or 7.5K miles (basically changing filter 1-2 times) ?

You should be fine running Amsoil (ASL) for 15K as long as you change your oil filter every 5K / 4months. As far as I know Toyota recommends changing them every 5,000 miles. NAPA is running a sale on the NAPA Gold filters. Go and stock up on #1396. NAPA is selling them for $3.64 until the end of the month.

Yes but none of those vehicle listed are are using the 2.4L 2AZ-FE or the Toyota Prius's Atkinson Cycle I4. So it still does not address my 2003 Camry or the other guys 2008 Prius neither of our cars and engine combo's are on the sludge motor list!

Garry Shame on you for hitting below the belt. I am not just using myself we have all kinds of UOA on this site from Toyota's and for the most part Toyota and Honda's tend to hold the record for best looking UOA with the least amount of wear!The real problem is that Amsoil was not half as smart as most of us on this site we covered the Toyota Sludge motors issues what 3 years ago and came up with good solutions. Terry had great results useing Redline and also using Lube Control with lesser oils! Then their was the TSB from Toyota for the redesigned PCV valve and then the extended warranty etc..............

It is AMsoils Job to know about engines prone to sludge and get the word out to their dealer's. You cannot just push your oil and 12 month oil change garbage with reckless abdone!!! AMsoil has been doing that for years and we have seldom seen it work out well! Youwould have the same problem in a Chrysler with a 2.7l I4 or a few Audi's!!!! You have to know which vehicles you can push the Amsoil 25K or 12 month ting on and which ones are just too hard on the oil! A lot of Amsoil reps do not know their oil from the sphincter valve and they parrot what the Amsoil brochures say almost word for word!At some point the people you have selling your product need tohave a much higher level of experience to make an intelligent and informed call!

I can only imagine the levels of sludge that those engines must have had going 12 months or 25K miles!!! I bet those engines had 20lbs of sludge in in them alone!Well my car can use any filter that is 3/4x16TPI so not hard to match that up!

ok, so what if you go with a larger compatible filter ... ?

the prius and camry from the year in question here spec a Purolator 14476 or a Mobil 1 M1-103

the Purolator 14477 and the Mobil 1 M1-110 appear identical in diameter, but approx an inch longer

compatible? beneficial?

good to know
thumbsup2.gif

John, may I suggest that you take a few minutes and breathe away from the keyboard? You seem to have a religious and almost psychotic hatred toward Amsoil and it is spoiling the nature of BITOG.

Quote:
Follow regular OEM-recommended drain
intervals with the appropriate AMSOIL Synthetic
Motor Oil for cars prone to sludge. The AMSOIL
XL series oils may be a more cost effective option
depending on personal preference.

I don't see Amsoil trying to trick anyone here. They even recommend to use their less costly products as a possible solution. In other words, Amsoil is trying to SAVE customers with "sludge prone" engines from spending more money.

Those engines are sludge prone, according to Amsoil when operating under abnormal conditions - defined as running the full 25,000 mile OCI.

At this point an Amsoil dealer can still provide a source for Mann filters and use their knowledge to aid their customers in achieving extended OCIs with a full synthetic. Of course, other Amsoil products can also be used, like the Amsoil PI, Amsoil oil flush and sea foam and these products have worked just fine for years with all types of engines.

Rgds,

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about these Mann filters? I haven't seen them discussed here. I have the 2AZ-FE and have been running PureOnes and some old stock 90915-10004s that now cost a bloody fortune and are difficult to obtain.

I've heard a number of people mention them, but don't know much tech info about them other than what I have seen on the AMSOIL site, personally.

ok, so i'm surfing the Amsoil site looking for a replacement for the Toyota filter ... and even tho i'm driving a Prius, i'd like to use the ever so just slightly larger Camry filter

Wix 51396
Mann ML1017

the Wix dealer price is $6.10, the Mann dealer price is $3.55

here's my Q's, if anyone has any answers

the Corolla filter is 0.425 inches longer, same diameter, as the Prius filter
(Purolator 14477 versus 14476, Wix 51396 versus 51394, Mann ML1017 versus 1009)

i imagine i'm getting the benefit of more filtering media, unless they pack the same amount into both filters

QUESTION ONE
am i getting the benefit of slightly more oil capacity?
am i sacrificing oil pressure?
in short is there ANY advantage, and is there ANY drawback?

QUESTION TWO

the Wix filter is almost twice the cost, am i getting twice the benefit?
is there any benefit whatsoever for the money?
yes ... i want to run extended OCI's with the Amsoil SSO 0W30

what say you's ... ?

I've thought about capacity & dimension questions like this before, and I've always come to the conclusion that there is a very likely a reason for difference(i.e. shallow oil pans in 2wd and deep oil pans in 4wd versions of vehicles).
I wouldn't go with a smaller dimension part unless absolutely necessary, if it were me.

Originally Posted By: BeanCounter
I've thought about capacity & dimension questions like this before, and I've always come to the conclusion that there is a very likely a reason for difference(i.e. shallow oil pans in 2wd and deep oil pans in 4wd versions of vehicles).
I wouldn't go with a smaller dimension part unless absolutely necessary, if it were me.

there is still PLENTY of clearance on the Prius with .4" longer filter, no risk of contact with the ground or anything of the sort ... is it more likely to be hit with rocks and debris?

why does the factory spec call for the shorter filter?

Originally Posted By: philobeddoe

there is still PLENTY of clearance on the Prius with .4" longer filter, no risk of contact with the ground or anything of the sort ... is it more likely to be hit with rocks and debris?

why does the factory spec call for the shorter filter?

I should have clarified that I was talking more about the capacity of fluid than the risk of ground clearance. Sorry for the confusion. I suppose without actual knowledge of specific applications I would assuming here, but I am under the impression that your oil capacities are often engineered to meet the quantity, flow, resistance, use, etc. of the particular system.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't or couldn't function fine with a different filter, I just would have to know more technical info to make that call if I were going that route myself.

It could be a fitment/clearance issue, but I would be familiar with this model to say, so don't count that out because of me.

Last edited:
Quote:
i want to run extended OCI's with the Amsoil SSO 0W30

What is your annual mileage? ..and what is your intended OCI with SSO?

last year was a one OCI year ... SSO 0W30 on an EAO9 filter for 9k for the year

didn't have any Amsoil on hand come new year, so i popped in Mobil1 AFE 0W20 and a Purolator, ran it for about 9.5k and swapped it yesterday for the Mobil1 AFE 0W30 ... just to compare the two

i've now got a locker full of SS0 0W30, plus two EAO9's and two Wix 51394's
saving 'em for my Ex's car, which she "owns" and i pay for
i think she's doing about 12.5k per year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back