Amsoil equivalent to Redline 75W90NS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Amsoil offer a 75W90 GL5 gear oil without friction modifiers for limited slip (something like Redline 75W90NS)?

I recently bought an '07 Subaru WRX STI and I'm researching now what fluids I'll be using in the future when it is time to change various oils. The six speed transmission and front diff share the same oil. Seems like Redline 75W90NS is one of the "popular" suggestions for this car. I'm curious if Amsoil has an equivalent. Both the Long Life 75W90 and the Severe Gear 75W90 are "limited slip compatible" implying that they already have some level of friction modifier include.

Thanks.

I used a blend of around 1/4 quart AMSOIL Long Life ( 75w-90 , GL-5 ) and about 1 and 3/4 quarts of REDLINE MT - 90 ( 75w 90 , GL-4 ) w/ good results so far in our 2000 PRIZM ( Corolla ) w/ 5 speed manual . Shifts much better and no grinding of gears when shifting ( especially in 1st , downshifting ) . I believe MOBIL 1 was the culprit for the grinding , etc. ) .

If you visit the UOA/VOA section, you'd see 'manual fluid and rearend' analysis data. You might just notice that the 'seen' additive packages, of the boutique fluids, aren't lacking.
Just because a fluid is marketed as a GL4 specifically for manuals, doesn't mean it isn't protecting as well as a GL5.
I believe that the GL4 label on MT90/MTG are simply to give the consumer an easy choice.

Amsoil needs to make a GL5 MTG2 or non-lsd gear oil to give the NS a run in the market. Mazda, Toyotas,... gives GL5 as a choice with the manuals. Subaru(?) requires it.

Besides the Redline 75w90NS, I vaguely remember that the Motul Gear300 is also lacking any preblended LSD support.
Royalpurple also labels their Maxgear GL4/GL5.
Neo claims that there 75w90HD(not RHD) can be used in synch'd manuals requiring GL4.
Synlube makes a 90wt MT.

Even though some gear oils are labelled for LSD usage, some are lacking(or lightly dosed) and need extra LSD additive. Notice that Amsoil sells SlipLock additive and mentions that it might be needed(hint hint). If Amsoil is your brand choice, I'd give both the severegear and longlife a run.

Quote:

I am contemplating a 50/50 mix of SVG and MTG or FGR and MTG.

Forget what I said about mixing SVG and MTG. I think there would still be too much FM'ing LS additves. FGR does not have any specific treat of LS where as SVG does have an extra treat of LS. So, even though FGR says "Compatible with most limited-slip differentials." does not mean it's treated with LS FM's as SVG specifically is.

So for this Subaru application Amsoil and I recommend the FGR 75W-90. If you want to further optimize the shifting, a 50/50 mix of FGR 75W-90 and MTG 75W-90, may be worth a try.

Amsoil FGR 75W-90

Amsoil MTG 75W-90

Thanks,

Paul

SVG seems to work OK in this transmission - if some of the saner posts over at NASIOC are any indication. I have some in my 2006 STI, but I'm afraid I've a taste for nutty mixtures (acquired around 20 years ago from a friend, long before Internet fora, by the way), so I may not be a good example.

I could speculate a bit about this trans, but I've never disassembled one, and I don't even have a manual for it. Judging from anecdotal evidence, it doesn't seem to be as fussy as folks make it out to be. Time will tell, in my case.

Heck, try the FGR/FGR+MTG - see how it works for you.

Take it easy.

Peter E. Fry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back