AMSOIL Ea Air Filters (EaA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search on this forum and other forums, but no one has posted any results/input.
So, for the price which is far less than a K&N filter and has a 4yr, 100k mile warranty, I think I'm going to pick one up for my '02 Jetta.

I just wish I could purchase it from a local store instead of only online as the case maybe.

If anyone has more input on the AMSoil Ea Air Filter, please let me know.

I ran one for a short while (maybe 5,000 miles) in the OEM airbox before I went to a conical synthetic filter. 03 Jetta.

Look for a FleetGuard on Ryder.com if you want great filtration. Good prices, no PC charge, and a filter that really is "fleet grade", i.e. as good or better than the Ea filters (which are made with Donaldson synthetic media, am I right?).

K

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
Look for a FleetGuard on Ryder.com if you want great filtration. Good prices, no PC charge, and a filter that really is "fleet grade", i.e. as good or better than the Ea filters (which are made with Donaldson synthetic media, am I right?).

K

Well I see a few dozen pages of filters, but no number for my current applications.

Yes, Fleetguard makes good filters but I do not believe they are cleanable like the Ea is. Because the Ea is cleanable makes it more cost effective than regular filters. I have used it in Toyota apps and have friends who use it and swear it gave thm a little better gas mileage in GM apps. It is also very easy to clean and requires no oil.

Are you thinking Fleetguard are Donaldson? I think they are two different companies. It is my understanding the AMSOIL has the exculsive rights to the nanofiber filtration for automotive use from Donaldson.

All three of my cars have the EaA filters on them. The one on my son's Honda Element has been on there for two year and about 60,000 miles. I finally took it out last week (thanks to Pablo's suggestion) and gave it a good vacuum. Put it back in and we are good to go. You would be hard pressed to persuade me to use anything else.

If you live anywhere in California where it is dusty then get the Amsoil. I had one in Arizona on my powerstroke and it trapped dirt that other filters just pass right through. My powerstroke has a vacuum gauge which with other filters never moved more than about 1/4 the way over to the high vacuum level which is supposed to indicate needing a filter change. with the EaA filter it didn't take 6 months to clog and move the vacuum gauge over to full. When I blew the dust out which you really couldn't see on the filter, a lot of it came out. It looked like the size of talcum powder. After the cleaning the filter progressively clogged quicker and couldn't be cleaned to the level of returning the vacuum gauge back to less than halfway. One dust storm and the filter will be clogged according to the gauge. In the past with other filters, this trapped dust was just passing through into my engine. In the desert southwest, don't leave home without it. Also, don't expect to get 100k miles in the southwest. You will be lucky to get 2 years and 50k miles with many cleanings. In the east, you should get 100k miles easy. That is unless the pollen is hard to remove and clogs it up. I guess I will find out soon enough here in Alabama. I just put a new filter in and the black smoke in my diesel went away. I guess it is getting enough air to go with the new power level since the reflash last month.

Last edited:
wulimaster, just to clarify because I think I understand... The Amsoil EA filter clogs up quicker because it is capturing more dust. You have a Filter Minder so you know when it's clogged up. Then you clean the EA filter and reinstall it for another six months which is about how long it takes to clog up again.

If I am understanding correctly, the EA filter and the Filter Minder are just about the perfect combination for best engine protection and long-term affordability. You never have to buy a new filter, you never bother to clean the EA filter until it needs cleaning, and your engine is protected from all the dust and grit that would pass through inferior air filters.

I think I'll be making the change within the next few months. Even if I can only get another 300k miles out of this Golf, I can move the parts to my next car if I decide to get another Mk4 Golf.

Yes, you got it right. I never knew how much dust was passing through until I got the EaA. I had been in dust storms in the Phoenix areas and afterwards the filter vacuum gauge would still be in the same position. One dust storm with the EaA and it is pegged. The dust that comes out is as fine as talcum powder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back