Amsoil CVT fluid now Subaru certified?

I was browsing the US Amsoil website and noticed that the compatibility list for their Synthetic CVT fluid now has the following:

Certified CVTF-II (SOA427V1660)

Last time I was looking (months ago) this piece of information wasn't there. Has anyone else here noticed this or thought about the implications? This is a game-changer in that now we Subaru owners can use what is perceived to be a top-quality non-OEM CVT fluid in a drain and fill or flush (knowing that Subaru doesn't even recommend touching the CVT) with the knowledge that this fluid is approved or otherwise certified, and therefore can't be blamed for not using OEM fluid. I wonder if more approvals are in the pipeline.

The name of the fluid they're referring to is Certified CTVF-II. I don't think Amsoil is saying their CVT is the one that is certified.

1608846131581.png

That said, the Amsoil CVT fluid is an excellent product and my mechanic (former subaru grand master tech) recommends it instead of the Subaru fluid for all CVTs including the high torque.

It is not a Subaru approval. The only fluid approved for a Subaru CVT is the proper Subaru fluid, of which Subaru now has four different types. The high torque fluid is not compatible with CVTF-II either, so it really would not be possible for Amsoil fluid to be compatible with both of those two, incompatible fluids.

I would assume Amsoil did testing to back up their claim.

If your warranty is still valid, stick to Subaru branded fluids.

Red Line also says their offering is compatible with a whole slew of Subaru CVTs (but like Amsoil, not approved):

Subaru High Torque CVT Fluid SOA748V0200
Subaru Lineartronic® CVTF
Subaru Lineartronic® II
Subaru K0425Y0711
Subaru K0425Y0710
Subaru CV-30
Subaru TF690
Subaru TR580
Subaru TR690
Subaru e CVFT
Subaru i- CVT FG
Subaru SOA427V1600 (which is CVTF-II)
Subaru SOA427V1610
Subaru SOA427V1660
Subaru SOA868V9245

https://www.redlineoil.com/non-slip-cvt

Last edited:
From: https://www.amsoil.com/p/synthetic-cvt-fluid-cvt/APPLICATIONS

"AMSOIL Synthetic CVT Fluid is recommended for belt- and chain-type continuously variable transmissions requiring the following:

• Audi/VW TL 52180, G 052 180, G 052 516
  • BMW 8322 0 136 376, 8322 0 429 154, EZL 799A
  • Daihatsu Amix CVTF-DC, CVTF-DFE
  • FCA, CVTF+4®, MOPAR® CVT 4
  • Ford CVT23, CVT30, WSS-M2C933-A, Motorcraft® XT-7-QCFT, MERCON® C
  • GM DEX-CVT, CVTF I-Green2, GM CVT
  • Honda HMMF, HCF-2
  • Hyundai/Kia SP-CVT 1
  • Mazda CVTF 3320
  • Mercedes-Benz 236.20
  • Mini Cooper EZL 799A, ZF CVT V1
  • Mitsubishi DiaQueen CVTF-J1, CVTF-J4
  • Nissan NS-1, NS-2, NS-3
  • Punch EZL 799A
  • Shell Green 1V
  • Subaru e-CVTF, i-CVTF, Lineartronic® CVTF, K0425Y0710, CV-30, “Certified CVTF-II (SOA427V1660), High Torque CVTF
  • Suzuki CVTF 3320, TC, NS-2, CVTF Green1, CVTF Green 2
  • Toyota/Lexus TC, FE"
There is nothing here in this statement to indicate it is other than "Recommended For" as there is no certification or licensing for Subaru CVT's. There are no claims that it is certified for Certified CVTF-II (SOA427V1660), only that it is a recommended replacement for this fluid and others.

The supplier of the DI additive package has an extensive testing facility to determine compatibilities with various CVT's . The Blender is assured of compatibilities when the additive supplier's blending formula is followed.

It is incumbent on the prospective purchaser to read and understand the language of the claims made for any product.

Last edited:
The high torque fluid is not compatible with CVTF-II either, so it really would not be possible for Amsoil fluid to be compatible with both of those two, incompatible fluids.
I've seen this type of thinking before here. I'm not sure the logic holds. How is it not possible? Be specific. Thanks.

Mr Subaru. com notes conversation with Subaru that unless its determined to be "rough service" fussing with the fluid VOIDS warranty + if a failure occurs Subaru wants YOUR tranny untouched, prolly to learn from the failure!!! thats what makes a subaru a SUBARU!!! Tested a new WRX in 2001 + compared to the VW Wolfsburg i BOUGHT the Subie was a TIN CAN IMO!!

Back