Amsoil CVT, 6.9k mi OCI, 72.7k mi, Honda HR-V

UOA is in kilometers not miles.

Switched to Red Line CVT. Previous fill was Amsoil CVT.

A ton of owners on the HRV forum are reporting transmission failure with mileage under 100k because the fluid isn't changed regularly and the belt fails.

I'm going to keep changing it every 6 months from here on out.

IMG_3593.jpg

Last edited:
I think every 6 months is excessive, I'd do it every 25K Km.
Even once every 25K km is too soon IMO it should be every 40-50K Km, but still cheaper than a new tranny.

Reactions: hrv
I think every 6 months is excessive, I'd do it every 25K Km.
Even once every 25K km is too soon IMO it should be every 40-50K Km, but still cheaper than a new tranny.

I think for the environment and type of driving this car does, there's a chance the viscosity might be too thin if doing 40-50k km.

If you look at sample 1, the OCI was 28k km and the viscosity at 100C was 5.1 cSt

According to an old UOA from Blackstone, they said cSt at 100C should be between 5.1-7.9.

As I have stated before a CVT shears oils much more than do manual and step-shift transmissions which is why I recommend more frequent fluid changes than for manual or step-shift transmissions.
What would be a good starting point in terms of frequency? I tend to do the CVT annually because it’s very easy to do and the fluid is cheap.

Yo, MolaKule: Do you even occasionally approach driving 10,000 miles a month?
I realize "3/30" is standard jargon but they're your numbers.

Unsolicited Commentary: Since the auto buying public are de facto CVT guinea pigs, it makes sense to give these trannies all the help we can with fresh fluid.

Last edited:
Reason #458 I will never own a belt/chain CVT vehicle. Shame they put them in so many options nowadays, but good on you OP for taking matters into your own hands with a proactive maintenance schedule. (y)

Lubeguard recommends earlier changes for their CVT synthetic fluid specifically for Honda vehicles...My wife’s 2015 accord has about 120000 miles on it and have used Redline CVT Fluid..we’ll bring it to lube place and watch them like hawk making sure using the fluid brought... think it is a drain and fill so uses about four quarts each time... would have it changed every ten thousand miles give or take... but she hasn’t driven much working from home during pandemic.

Hondas CVT is pretty flawless. I have seen them with over 100,000 miles with original CVT fluid.
I’m hoping so. I still changed mine at 32K miles on my 17 Accord sport with amsoil cvt fluid. Taking Molakules recommendation and changing it this weekend, will have right at 30K miles of use.

The cvt for the hrv has a recall for belt shred. Call the dealer with your vin to see if your affected

Back