Amsoil Coolant...??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of going to this in the MAzda3. Thoughts? Also, any issues with doing a few drain/fills to get to 100%? Amsoil says fine, as the coolant is compatible with all makes and models. I like the fact it's a very long life fluid.
Thanks.

I am kind of a nut with coolant. I NEVER mix brands. I don't CARE what anyone says. Including Amsoil.

Just flush with pure water, run straight water for a little while (of course not mid winter) - a day or so. Then get ALL the water out. Refill with 1/2 the capacity of the cooling system using ANT, then top off with DI or distilled water. Done for at least 2 years+.

Stupid question, but is it a real problem to mix? Also, how can I ensure I get ALL of the water out??

Based on what I've seen and read it is - even the Dex cool guys changed their tune over the years. A (bad) analogy: Oil brands/types are very compatible - mix away, coolant chemistry is very much different - ANT is propylene glycol with a unique, complex additive package - others are prop or ethylene glycol with OAT chemistry - vastly different. I'm not a coolant SME, so let's see how the others weigh in on this.

Naw - you'll never get all the water out....that just a warning to drain the block as well as the radiator.

I just drained mine and vacuum filled mine with ANT/Distilled water mix. Refilled the overflow.

Nothing abnormal noted.

Well, here is my plan. Cooling system holds about 2 gallons. So, I'm going to do a drain, fill with DW, drain again, DW again, and then drain. Top off with ANT and I should be pretty close to 50/50. Maybe do another drain 1k miles later and fill with my premixed ANT/DW.

Sound good?

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Thinking of going to this in the MAzda3. Thoughts? Also, any issues with doing a few drain/fills to get to 100%? Amsoil says fine, as the coolant is compatible with all makes and models. I like the fact it's a very long life fluid.
Thanks.

I have considered the amsoil coolant. Currently i have the toyota pink super longlife coolant. It is stated that I can go 5 yrs/100K on it but me personally I would never go that long. My plan is to drain/refill the radiator every two years. Cheap preventive maintenance to always keep fresh fluid/ fresh additives in there.

The best way to insure a 50/50 mix or 60/40 or 70/30 is to flush the system like you have stated then after the last drain add the amount of coolant required to make your mix. So if you have a 16qt system and are running a 50/50 mix after you drain the last flush cycle out add 2gals/8qts of pure coolant then add the distilled water need to top off the system. That way you have 2gallons of each component. Adjust the amount of coolant to make up the mix required for the other percentages.

Have had it installed for nearly 3 years in my car, and 1.5 years in my wife's car. No issues from either. I plan to flush the first time use after 4 years, then start going 7 years each time.

Get a refractometer and know your concentration in certainty after the flush/fill...Pablo you are a coolant crazy kind of guy for what you do to change over (you had me ***** while I read that regimen...it's like you were ridding your cooling system of herpes or something too crazy man)!! Go over to Polaris's web site and sign up for their "free coolant analysis and troubleshooting" webinars...it will help you bridge the gap to coolant SME quickly! By the way Amsoil's PG antifreeze is very good. If you have industrial equipment that is going to be getting pounded without much PM I highly recommend it because if you have an undiagnosed coolant leak you won't lose your mains and rods as quickly!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back