Amsoil ATF Replaces Dexron VI & Others

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search and could not find any posts made about this.

Amsoil Universal ATF is now recommended for Dexron VI, Mercon SP, and Nissan Matic J & K specifications. Those were the first ones that I noticed, but there may be other new ones.

Just wanted to pass this along for references.

Yep, it was reformulated...see the new data sheet?

It's now 6.8 cst @ 100C...interesting that it does not lose any of it's previous recommendations...I guess Amsoil/Lubrizol concluded that the slightly lower viscosity is of no negative effect to transmissions that normally take a higher viscosity fluid...

Now I just wonder when Toyota WS will be part of the recommendation, since all 2007 and later Toyota/Lexus models will be using that fluid.

You could call up Amsoil Tech Services and give them the batch # on the bottle; they should be able to tell you which formulation you have.

It does present a bit of a logistic nightmare unless they do a label change. I will need to find out the cut off date code. Dollars to donuts it's been made for the last several weeks. Previously it was, what 7.2 cSt @100°C or so.

NEW Amsoil ATF

The MSDS sheet has been out since October, and it showed the viscosity at 6.8.

Rat407,
I e-mailed tech support earlier in the month and was informed that the new shipments with batch code 101897 or higher is the new formulation.

Tempest,
You are correct in the minor severe service change. However, I personally think they changed it to 50,000 miles to coincide with the severe service interval for their gear lube as well. So now, ATF and gear lubes are 100,000 miles for normal, and 50,000 miles for severe. UOA is still the best way to tell.

SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid is
recommended for use up to 50,000 miles under severe
service* and up to 100,000 miles under normal service*
or according to the vehicle manufacturer recommended
intervals, whichever is longer
. AMSOIL recommends
thoroughly draining the transmission and flushing with new
AMSOIL ATF to achieve a minimum 90% purity of new
transmission fluid. Drain intervals may be extended further
with oil analysis.
*As defined by the vehicle or transmission manufacturer

Quote:

SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid is
recommended for use up to 50,000 miles under severe
service* and up to 100,000 miles under normal service*
or according to the vehicle manufacturer recommended
intervals, whichever is longer
. AMSOIL recommends
thoroughly draining the transmission and flushing with new
AMSOIL ATF to achieve a minimum 90% purity of new
transmission fluid. Drain intervals may be extended further
with oil analysis.
*As defined by the vehicle or transmission manufacturer

Oh........NO>>>>>>>sounds like the same speal that was givin on the new diesel oil. Follow OEM drains
nono.gif

This can't be good news, or they have a NEW house lawyer
crackmeup.gif
The 90% purity is interesting information
coffee.gif

Quote:

If you just do a pan drain will the Amsoil ATF mix OK with DEXRON-VI??

Yes. In fact, I think you should look into doing a drain/refill with this new fluid (at each oil change) on your RX330 until the fluid looks clean.

Bummer, I was hoping that Amsoil would come out with a 6cst fluid to add to their product range.

I see the SP and VI, but any mention of 'WS' on the data sheet?

Mixing, with whatever is left in the transmission, is perfectly ok. I don't care for purposely mixing beforehand. Soup works, but for optimum performance, stick with one brand of the best ATF you can afford for your full flushes or partial pan drop/plug services.

Quote:

Where does it say "follow OEM drains"?

90% purity minimum is for extended drains. Makes perfect sense.

Where's your beef?

* As defined by the vehicle manufacture.
ooo.gif

I know I am a little off
laugh.gif
but, when a vechile manufacture say's do the service at 30K...then Amsoil is saying do the service at 30K? or am I off with my side of the beef?
wink.gif

Amsoil is simply saying the descriptive "severe
service" and "normal service" as defined by the given OEM.

So severe service is 50K miles or longer if the OEM is longer than 50K. And same for normal service but 100K or longer.

At least Amsoil is now giving a specific mileage interval instead of "up to three times longer than manufacturer's drain interval," which was used in the past. I know that would confuse a lot of people on whether to apply it to severe or normal intervals.

I looked in the sm of my CTS. Its says under normal driving condtions (not severe) the ATF never needs to be changed. Under severe, every 50,000 miles. btw-It came with Dex III and the DIC says that after 2 yrs/16,000 miles it has 99% trans fluid life remaining.

Quote:

At least Amsoil is now giving a specific mileage interval instead of "up to three times longer than manufacturer's drain interval," which was used in the past. I know that would confuse a lot of people on whether to apply it to severe or normal intervals.

Very True and point well taken. The problems that still remain in my mind are the following:

1. Specific mileage guarantee..ie 25,50,100,000K. People blindly go this distance and UOA's show that the fluid needs changing before in some or most cases when this longer mileage interval is used.

2. Quality filteration is not used...(as a norm) in transmissions. Stainless steel screens and thin celluose material are the standard.

To wrap it up, long OCI's even in a transmission need better filteration as a standard OEM practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back