Amsoil ATF in 2002 Volvo S60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I received my Blackstone analysis today...

Refreshing everyone's memory-2002 Volvo S60 AWD with Asin-Warner AW55-5 transmission that reportedly needs special volvo $20/quart fluid, but I did a flush with Amsoil Universal ATF

After 5,000 miles including lots of mountain driving, 2600 miles of interstate, much at 90mph in 95deg temps I received the following analysis

Al 18
Chromium 0
Iron 45
Cu 39
Lead 50
Tin 2
Moly 0
Nickel 1
Mg 1
Silver 0
Ti 0
K 0
B 42
Si 19
Na 9
Ca 221
Mg 1
Phos 360
Zinc 12
Barium 5

Visc@ 210 49.8
Flash 395
Water 0.0
Insol Trace

Comments for the gallery would be appreciated!

Iron-
shocked.gif

Lead-
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Those numbers look high as a kite for 5000 mile OCI. I think you should look at my Redline ATF UOA as a Comparsion! My 4x4 Truck had better numbers after 18,000 mile. I do not know the wear patttern for that transmissions but those numbers did not look that great. I would trust Amsoil when they told you not to use it in that powertrain.

Actually, doesn't SAAB consider the ATF fluid to be "lifetime"? I'm not sure I will go a couple of 100 thousand miles on mine without changing, but why change at 5,000 miles?
I never heard of that before, but I'm kinda new here.
Ed
2002 Aero SW
1998 VFR 800

If I'm not mistaken, the Aisin-Warner automatic transmissions call for Exxon T4 ATF. As Stephen G. from NINES calls it, "unobtainium".

Toyota, SAAB, and Volvo dealers should carry it though. Maybe Saturn dealers, too; I think the VUE and ION will be using AW autoboxes?

SAAB forbids the use of anything else. Mobil 1 ATF? NO! Amsoil? NO! Dexron? NO!
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by quadrun1:
If I'm not mistaken, the Aisin-Warner automatic transmissions call for Exxon T4 ATF. As Stephen G. from NINES calls it, "unobtainium".

Toyota, SAAB, and Volvo dealers should carry it though. Maybe Saturn dealers, too; I think the VUE and ION will be using AW autoboxes?

SAAB forbids the use of anything else. Mobil 1 ATF? NO! Amsoil? NO! Dexron? NO!
shocked.gif

QR, maybe you missed this thread where Chris first announced that he'd changed the fluid in his Volvo and was using Amsoil. Some of us told him then that this was a BIG mistake, and I think this SORRY UOA proves it. I don't know what a tranny for a Volvo goes for, but I'd say he's going to find out, and it ain't gonna be cheap.
crushedcar.gif

quote:

Originally posted by quadrun1:

The AW transaxles used in the Saturn ION and VUE both use Exxon T4, so maybe it can be purchased at a Saturn dealership.
dunno.gif

Edit: quadrun1, I just noticed after I posted this that you mentioned the Saturns in your post. Duh. Just shoot me.
twak.gif

[ September 19, 2003, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

Chris,

If you didn't flush this transmission thoroughly, a lot of this metal could be from break in wear debrie still in the pan. I'd test the oil again in 3000 miles and if the amount of wear is about the same, I'd say you're okay. If the wear numbers goe up by another 50% or so, I'd go and get the specified fluid and put that in.

Amsoil should do fine in terms of gear and bearing protection, ie all the hard metal parts. So as long as it''s compatable with the clutch materials and the transmission is shifting fine, I think you'll be okay. I also would not expect any seal compatibility issues as this is pretty standardized.

TooSlick
Dixie Synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Chris,

If you didn't flush this transmission thoroughly, a lot of this metal could be from break in wear debrie still in the pan. I'd test the oil again in 3000 miles and if the amount of wear is about the same, I'd say you're okay. If the wear numbers goe up by another 50% or so, I'd go and get the specified fluid and put that in.

What are the clutch materials? I.E. what values in the analysis go up with clutch wear versus metal wear?

I didn't do a PERFECT flush-total capacity is like 7.8 qts and I did a 7 quart flush, so there WAS some retained original fluid definitely. I still have the original drained fluid, so it may be worth sending it for a UOA as well..

I like the suggestion-I will probably re-sample in a few thousand and compare...

I also may just set the volvo fluid and reflush--though, given the expense, I'm thinking about adding a 6 micron inline filter to keep it running clean at least...Comments?

An update for everyone:
I spoke with Chris on Sunday and he has put 30K on his transmission since this UOA and his transmission has experienced ZERO problems.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back