Amsoil Multi ATF, 15K, 04 Chevy Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
3rd AT UOA on this Tahoe. Fluid was not changed at the time of sample. Blackstone comments provided below.

Make/Model: Transmission GM 4L60E Auto
Vehicle: 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe

Code:

OIL Amsoil ATF Amsoil ATF Unknown

MILES IN USE 15,030 10,010 Unknown

MILES ON UNIT 148K 132K 122K

SAMPLE TAKEN 3/18/13 1/6/12 4/25/11

MAKE UP OIL 0 0 0

ALUMINUM 5 11 18

CHROMIUM 0 0 0

IRON 55 130 186

COPPER 49 93 129

LEAD 18 52 85

TIN 0 2 0

MOLYBDENUM 0 0 0

NICKEL 0 1 1

MANGANESE 1 3 4

SILVER 0 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0 0

POTASSIUM 0 0 0

BORON 222 159 76

SILICON 6 6 7

SODIUM 8 8 6

CALCIUM 221 165 98

MAGNESIUM 3 7 8

PHOSPHORUS 511 394 240

ZINC 13 22 22

BARIUM 0 0 0

SUS @ 210F 46.5 44.6 41.8

Visc @ 100C 6.19 5.61 4.74

Flashpoint 435 375 380

Water % 0.0 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % TR 0.1 0.1

TAN 1.8 NA NA

Now that's a bit more like it. Wear metals are much lower than last time and you even ran more miles on the oil. Looks like this 4L60E is back on the straight and narrow. Just a reminder, universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of transmission after about 17,900 miles on the oil. Your transmission generally looks better than average. Insolubles read just a trace and no moisture showed up. We do a TAN (total acid number) on ATF and that read 1.8 showing just a little acidity. Keep this oil in use another 10K miles and check back.

No surprise here. Asmoil ATF is a great product.

Run it out! At least you didn't OCI this one; good decision.

Of note, (and I realize that this is not a direct comparison as I'm mentioning a different tranny) there is a post over at dieselplace where a guy has over 508K miles (yes - five hundred thousand with a picture of the odometer!) and he's NEVER changed the ATF in his 2006 Allison 1000 behind his Dmax. He only changes the spin-on filter once a year and tops off infrequently as needed. I suspect that tranny either had DEX III or DEX VI, depending upon exact build date.

Kind of puts anal OCIs in perspective, doesn't it? Again, it's a different application. But your use of Amsoil ATF should be good for a LONG time.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Of note, (and I realize that this is not a direct comparison as I'm mentioning a different tranny) there is a post over at dieselplace where a guy has over 508K miles (yes - five hundred thousand with a picture of the odometer!) and he's NEVER changed the ATF in his 2006 Allison 1000 behind his Dmax. He only changes the spin-on filter once a year and tops off infrequently as needed. I suspect that tranny either had DEX III or DEX VI, depending upon exact build date.

Kind of puts anal OCIs in perspective, doesn't it? Again, it's a different application. But your use of Amsoil ATF should be good for a LONG time.

I'd bet it not Dex III. But note that the spin on probably holds 1 QT, so thats 1 new QT/yr. Not insignificant. But the filter and cooler are doing well, and the transmission is a good one in the first place.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald

I'd bet it not Dex III. But note that the spin on probably holds 1 QT, so thats 1 new QT/yr. Not insignificant. But the filter and cooler are doing well, and the transmission is a good one in the first place.

It very well could be Dex III in that 508K miles in the Allison. Or more likely, it's a hybrid blend ...

While "Allison" specs TES-295 for it's factory fill, GM used Dex III for factory fill, back in 2006. And they were phasing in Dex VI during that period.

It's important to note that Allison 1000 Series trannies are built (still to this day) in two different places. The Indianapolis location is truly Allison owned, and uses the TES-295 fluids. The Baltimore location also makes the 1000 series, but it is run by GM. Several years ago, GM owned Allison. But they sold them a few years back, however they retained the "right" to make the 1000 series and use the Allison name for that application. So when you buy a 2500 or 3500 HD GM truck, you get the Baltimore GM Allison that uses DEX fluids. When you buy a commerical chassis truck, you get the Indy tranny. You can even tell by the serial number ranges; two different ones for the two plants.

Also, the spin on filter holds no where near a quart of ATF; it's a tiny spin on filter that can't even hold a pint. I don't recall how many ounces it is, but it's small and you really cannot even tell on the dipstick after you change the filter. I am not exaggerating when I say it may not even hold 8 oz.

And to confound the storyline, you really have to understand the politics of the corporate relationship of GM/Allison back then ...

GM was in the process of phasing out DEX III(h) and moving to DEX VI in 2006; it did not happen all at once. Allison on the other hand, has always used TES-295 products (these are ultra-premium synthetic ATFs based upon DEX III type structure; they are licensed to a very strict standard). When GM was phasing in the DEX VI, they forced Allison to start recognizing the DEX VI; against their will. Allison had three different ATF recognitions at the time in their service schedule. One for TES-295, one for DEX VI, and one for all other non-TES-295 products. They lumped the DEX VI into the "non-TES-295" schedule, because it could not perform to that TES-295 standard. That does not mean DEX VI was an inferior fluid in the overall market; it's a very good fluid with 2x the oxidation resistance and 2x the viscosity retention of DEX III, but it's not as good as TES-295 fluids. So, GM forced Allison to recognize the new DEX VI. My 2006 K3500 has a Baltimore GM Allison tranny that has a dipstick that specfically states "Use Dexron VI fluids" embossed on the stick blade. However, there is a big problem for 2006 models ...

The DEX VI license carries a very specific chemisty package. And part of that package actually reacts negatively with some of the seal materials used in the Allision 1000 series and 2000 series trannies made from 2001 up to 2006. It will not destroy them overnight, but the chemistry WILL affect them over time, and the pump seals will begin to leak. And so Allision specifically recommende to NOT use DEX VI before 2007 (after they made a seal change). However, GM decided to go ahead and use DEX VI by phasing it in throughout the 2006 model year, even though they used the same seal materials before the changeover! Allison actaully came out with a full statement including a serial number break, which identifies where the seal change took place, and which fluid to use. GM ignored that and claims that all DEX VI fluids are fully backwards compatible in all DEX III applications.

Then, after GM sold Allison (yet retained the rights to make their 1000 series in Baltimore), Allison then no longer had to do what daddy told them, so they promptly dropped all recognition of DEX VI fluids, and now has their own fluid spec for fluids that would have met the "former" DEX III GM spec, with the additional criteria of seal compatibility! That "new" spec is called TES-389. It is essentially the dino version of TES-295. You won't get near the performance out of a TES-389 fluid as you would a TES-295 fluid, but you do get 100% assurance of seal compatibility!

And so goes the world of corporate politics.

That is why I state that it likely had a mix of DEX III and/or TES-295 in it. Given that it was an early 2006 model, and it was a cab/chassis mail-haul truck, it probably had the Indy tranny with TES-295 fill. And them GM probably topped off with DEX III at the vehicle assembly plant. He siad he has no leaks to speak of, so I can presume that it probably does not have a majority of DEX VI in it.

Regardless, after 508K miles, it's still going strong according to him, and have never had an issue. He only changes that tiny filter and pours in a few ounces for top off every year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dhellman12
3rd AT UOA on this Tahoe. Fluid was not changed at the time of sample. Blackstone comments provided below.

Make/Model: Transmission GM 4L60E Auto
Vehicle: 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe

Code:

OIL Amsoil ATF Amsoil ATF Unknown

MILES IN USE 15,030 10,010 Unknown

MILES ON UNIT 148K 132K 122K

SAMPLE TAKEN 3/18/13 1/6/12 4/25/11

MAKE UP OIL 0 0 0

ALUMINUM 5 11 18

CHROMIUM 0 0 0

IRON 55 130 186

COPPER 49 93 129

LEAD 18 52 85

TIN 0 2 0

MOLYBDENUM 0 0 0

NICKEL 0 1 1

MANGANESE 1 3 4

SILVER 0 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0 0

POTASSIUM 0 0 0

BORON 222 159 76

SILICON 6 6 7

SODIUM 8 8 6

CALCIUM 221 165 98

MAGNESIUM 3 7 8

PHOSPHORUS 511 394 240

ZINC 13 22 22

BARIUM 0 0 0

SUS @ 210F 46.5 44.6 41.8

Visc @ 100C 6.19 5.61 4.74

Flashpoint 435 375 380

Water % 0.0 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % TR 0.1 0.1

TAN 1.8 NA NA

Now that's a bit more like it. Wear metals are much lower than last time and you even ran more miles on the oil. Looks like this 4L60E is back on the straight and narrow. Just a reminder, universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of transmission after about 17,900 miles on the oil. Your transmission generally looks better than average. Insolubles read just a trace and no moisture showed up. We do a TAN (total acid number) on ATF and that read 1.8 showing just a little acidity. Keep this oil in use another 10K miles and check back.

I find the 0.0% water somewhat strange since even new fluid typically contains about 0.03% water!
I also observe an apparent depletion in both Phosphorous and Boron which does not seem to correspond with the mileage figures shown. Can you be sure there isn't a typo in this data, it does look a bit strange?

Regarding the water, if your magnitudes are correct as stated, then the "0.0" would not reflect a value as low as "0.03" as it would be rounded down and lose relevance.

With regards to the boron and phosphorus, please see the mileage of the tests. All 3 were done with their own fill of ATF.

If he runs nearly all of those miles on the highway, in one gear, it's not really a surprise. Shifting and heat is the primary killer of a trans. I bet he has a good sized trans cooler as well.

Given the vehicle, it's just a normal, stock GM chassis. Nothing fancy or aftermarket.

Yes, steady highway mileage helps with about any wear pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back