Amsoil Assembly Lube as Ratchet Lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen that many people like to use engine assembly lube for ratchets. I was wondering if anyone has tried the new Amsoil assembly lube for this application?

It would probably work just fine.
I've said before, I keep my ratchet lubed by dropping into the oil change pan once a year. 15 years and zero problems! Kind of a greasy film on the handle, though.......

I've been dropping them in oil for years also. It does seem to dribble out of them for weeks afterward. It can get annoying, yet it does lube them.

However, just recently I decided to disassemble them. Spray out what was there (oil, grease, and crud) with PB blaster. I then put a good amount of high pressure Moly grease on everything and buttoned it all up and wipe down the exterior.

Seems to work well as things still work, and are smoother functioning.
Not so sure about doing this on ratchets in really cold environments, but down here in Texas they should be fine.

I have been cleaning mine out and putting Neo HP800 grease in there. It seems a tad thick maybe, but the ratchets are then super super smooth and quiet.

This works great for ratchets:

12028851_ptx_81950_pri_larg.jpg

It really stinks. I don't mean stink as in it does a bad job; I mean stink as in it smells really bad. With that said: you should try Super Lube for fine tooth ratchets and a heavy duty grease for the others.

Permatex Ultra Slick (RLL) does a good job, but it bleeds oil over everything.

I just toss them in ATF overnight once in a while and never had any problems.
Anything thick may cause the ratchet to jump when its used in the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back