amsoil afl vs hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read in uoa posts and in regular posts about how amsoil hdd is more like the "old" afl. Is the current afl that much different then it was? If given the parameters of a very hot climate and a "shortish" drain of 7k and hard driving, does hdd out perform afl. Engines, nissan VQ and high boosted 1.8t.

Quote:

I have read in uoa posts and in regular posts about how amsoil hdd is more like the "old" afl. Is the current afl that much different then it was? If given the parameters of a very hot climate and a "shortish" drain of 7k and hard driving, does hdd out perform afl. Engines, nissan VQ and high boosted 1.8t.

Yes the NEW AFL was designed to be a low total ash motor oil. This naturally means less as measured elemental additives (P, Zn, Ca, etc)

In 7K - it depends on the engine. AFL is certainly capable of doing 7K with no issues. In your engine it probably would be a toss up. I think would need to try both to have a winner, I'd lean toward the HDD.

The HDD is about 10% thicker than the regular 5w-30/ASL formulation. Either one will easily last for 7k miles, but I'd probably use the thicker stuff in Florida....

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back