Amsoil ACD, 10081mi, 1992 Mercedes 300TE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. This is my first post, but I have been lurking since about 2004. I just wanted to share my numbers and get some feedback.

Vehicle is a Mercedes Benz 300TE (wagon) with the M103 3.0L straight six (gasoline). Motor was replaced with a factory replacement in 2007. The miles on car when the motor was changed are unknown. I tried the ACD 10w-30/SAE30 because of the good things said around here about it and because these motors are known to shear oils quickly.

Analysis by OAI. Numbers in both Miles and Kilometers.

Code:
Oil: Chevron Amsoil Amsoil

Supreme ACD ACD

10w-40 10w-30/SAE30 10w-30/SAE30

Miles in use: 3182 7120 10081

KM's in use: 5121 11459 16224

Miles on car: 157407 167982 170943

KM's on car: 253322 270340 275106

Sample Date: 17oct10 21jul11 03sep11

Lube changed: yes no no

Filter Change: Yes Yes Yes

Iron 4 11 12

Aluminum 1 10 4

Copper 4 7 7

Lead 3 6 4

Silicone 9 7 10

Sodium 24 9 8

Potassium 0 2 2

Molybdenum 287 5 3

Boron 55 7 9

Magnesium 17 33 21

Calcium 2192 4715 3595

Phosphorous 963 1330 1117

Zinc 1122 1543 1274

Visc @ 100 deg C 11.7 10.6 10.5

Base # 3.60 4.27 5.40

Oxidation 9 41 39

Nitration 17 22 20

Lube added (qts) 0 3 3

First sample comments: 10w-40 showed shearing. (Ran ACD after this for 3455 mi (5560km) to flush out the previous oils.)
Second sample comments: "Aluminum is at a MINOR LEVEL. Oil is sutable for continued use."
Third sample comments: (Continued fill from second sample.) "Flagged additive levels are higher than expected for the lubricant that is identified. (This does not imply that the lubricant does not meet proper API, SAW, or ISO classifications.)"

Looks good, especially since wear appears to be getting better and TBN higher as it is in use. (I see that you have added more oil). Looks like you can take this out for a while longer, especially since wear is low and you are replenishing the oil.

How many qts. of oil does that vehicle hold?

Thanks!

I was thinking on switching to 15w-40 AME. The consumption is 6 quarts in 10K as the last two samples are on the same initial fill.

Why would the wear numbers get lower during the same fill? Is it because some of the particles are lost with the consumed oil?

OH sorry I was in a bit of a hurry before - I thought you changed the oil.....my thoughts are about the same, but one thing not mentioned since this is your first extended run with synthetic, consumption will be a bit high the first couple changes even though you did a short run first.

Wear is still within the noise level - try the AME, I think it's a better fit.

Thank you for the replys Paul and LCM.

In addition to matching the oil to the Mercedes I am hoping to use the oil for the family fleet:

-1968 VW type 3 Squareback (oil needs to be good for flat tappets) It is in the process of being restored with a mild aftermarket cam, 88mm piston/cylinder set, dual Weber DCNF's, and other goodies. Will be a weekend car that I wouldn't worry about hopping in and driving all the way to California for an event.

-1986 Dodge D-50 (re-badged Mitsubishi Mighty-Max). This is the hardware store runner/winter commuting vehicle. Low miles in a year, but it doesn't have any of the common Mitsubishi problems (the US spec head with the 3rd mini valve was switched to a standard 2 valve Canadian head).

-1997 Mercedes E420. (only 40,000 miles) My uncle purchased this brand new and it is staying in the family. Driven when the weather is nice to visit family through out the Pacific Northwest.

-1969 El Camino. Body restored. Unknown build on a 350

-1971 Chevelle. Body and interior was just fully restored and getting ready to go through the motor (350)

-1967 VS bug. Original OEM Factory replacement motor out of Holland (good find). Hydraulic lifters.

-2003 VW Passat VR6 4-motion. The wife will be starting grad school in Spokane next summer and this will be the rig she takes between school and Yakima on the weekends. The Spokane area can get fairly cold and have a lot of snow.

-2007 Kubota tractor.

-Various lawn mowers.

Anything newer uses an oil that will be warranty compatible.

Some of these vehicles could be considered garbage, but they are all very well maintained and we plan on keeping them for a long time.

Older Mercedes like the good ol' 15W-40 HDEO's in our corner of the land (pretty much elsewhere as well, for the most part)...

If AMSOIL's your thing you would be hard pressed to find a better oil than the AME (available in gallon jugs) and you can always top up with whatever HDEO is on sale. 15K is not an unreasonable OCI, perhaps with a filter change at 7.5K? I've done that in the past in the '91 420SEL.

Never heard of the straight six MB motors shearing oil much: are you sure?

Cheers!

Norm,

Thanks for the reply. Amsoil is easy for me as my father is a dealer, but I do have friends who are local Mobil and Schaeffers dealers as well. (And they all get along!) I have no problem ordering oil and don't care to spend a lot of time tracking down the oil I need form a bunch of stores. It would be nice to not pay anymore than what the ACD cost. The ZDDP levels of the AME seem to fall in the suggestions for the air cooled VW's as well.

On the east side of Washington state the weather is a little more extreme than the west side. Summers are into the 90's (30's deg C) during the day with about 1 week that gets over 100 (40 deg C). Winters get down below freezing with about 1 week a year that starts out below 0 (-18 deg C) and doesn't get above 20 (-7 deg C). Within an hour's drive the temperature can go 10 degrees either way. The weird part is that the humidity is usually so low in the winter there usually isn't much snow, although there can be. I know other parts of the country can be more extreme, but the variance here is something to consider.

The nice cars are all kept inside slightly heated garages. The others are left out year around.

I have heard about the 6 cyl shear here on BITOG plus my first UOA noted the viscosity drop from 14 cSt to 11.7 in only 3182 miles (5121 kms). OAI gave it a little flag as something to watch out for.

With those various vechiles, and the VW's....I can see why you would like to stay with the 30w and Amsoils too boot qualify's for a 10w30. I also had problems with the Amsoil 30w and oil consumption...not that the oil is bad....my engine just used alot of it. But it protected it very well...and all the other engines loved it. Your VW's most likely will love it as well as the Older V8's. You might need to have a :2: oil supply. Try Chevron Delo 30w and see if it helps in this engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back