Amsoil ACD 10-30w, 14.2k miles, Toy 4.0 131k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do xOCI and UOA so we all might learn something.

As always, I'm happy with the results. Not much wear.

This oil info is about Amsoil ACD synthetic diesel 10-30w. The oil is 8 mths old, w/14,200 miles. The vehicle is a 07 Toyota FJ Cruiser w/a gasoline 4.0L engine that has 130.8k miles since new. I didn't dump/change anything when I took this sample. I always wait to see the UOA results. No make-up oil was added, because it doesn't use any. The vehicle is my daily driver. We live in the country, so it doesn't see much stop and go driving.

Many yrs ago I put a TopDog brand engine oil bypass filtration system on that utilizes the Amsoil EaBP90 filter. This filter was last changed 9/12, 46k miles ago. The air filter is an Amsoil EaA238(discontinued) element with 47k miles since new. Over the yrs, I've looked for induction system leaks and tried 3 different brand air filters elements in hope of reducing the Si/silicon level without success.

Now that I've seen these lastest results, I'm gonna change the oil, with what I'm not sure? I'm thinking maybe Mobil 1 or a conventional(dinasor) diesel oil like Shell Rotella T3, to see if they go 15k miles? I'm gonna change the full flow filter with another Fram XG8A. I'll install a new EaBP90 bypass filter element. I'll leave the air filter in place so as to NOT influence the next Si/silicon results.

LAB: Oil Analyzers Inc - OAI(Polaris)
LAB COMMENTS: Base # is SIGNIFICANTLY LOW. Abrasives (silicon/dirt) is at a MINOR LEVEL. Change oil filter, top off system, and re-sample in 3.5k miles or 65 hrs. Viscosity is SLIGHTLY HIGH.

Code:

WEAR METALS-PPM

Date 12/10.12/11.8/12.5/13.3/14.11/14

Iron 28....14....12....7....21...17

Chromium 0......0....0.....0....0....0

Copper 1......1....1.....0....1....0

Tin 0......1....0.....0....0....0

Lead 0......0....0.....0....0....0

Chrom 0......0....0.....0....0....0

Nickel 0......0....0.....0....0....0

Alum 5......6....7.....1....3....2

Silver 0......0....0.....0....0....0

Cadmium 0......0....0.....0....0....0

Vanadium 0......0....0.....1....0....0

CONTAMINANT METALS-PPM

Silicon 56.....70....43...32...33...37

Sodium 168....45....17...28...29...31

Potassium 4......2.....2....4....3....5

MULTI SOURCE METALS

Manganese 0......0....0....0.....0....0

Titan 0......0....0....0.....0....0

Molybdenum 2......0....0....0.....0....0

Antim 0......0....0....0.....0....0

Lithium 0......0....0....0.....0....0

Boron 6......4....3....1.....1....2

ADDITIVE METALS-PPM

Magnesium 14.....11....16....10....13....11

Calcium 3394..3531..4351..3589..3022..3520

Barium 0......0......0.....0.....0....0

Phosph 568...497....809...929...895..1037

Zinc 691...591....989..1130..1084..1236

V100C 10.9...10.8...12.7....14.3...15.2..12.7

I-R Oxidation 58......64.....61......25....67....50

I-R Nitra 39......41.....17.......9....18....18

TBN 2.66...2.18...2.48....2.35...1.89...2.22

Fuel
Soot Vol
Water Vol

How do you know there is not much wear? What if all that "wear", aka Fe is just captured in your bypass filter?

ACD is a great sleeper oil if it fits your application. I used to run it in my old 360 Magnum and it has been in my boat for several seasons.

I know I'm a little off subject, but I am a fan.

I think you would see improvement in silicone levels if you use Toyota's Denso air filters.

Nate1979 wrote: "How do you know there is not much wear? What if all that "wear", aka Fe is just captured in your bypass filter?"

Jetmans response:
"The UOA has alway shown LOW wear. You give the bypass filter too much credit."

Last edited:
Koza wrote: "I think you would see improvement in silicone levels if you use Toyota's Denso air filters."

jetmans response:
"You maybe correct. I should give it a try"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
How do you know there is not much wear? What if all that "wear", aka Fe is just captured in your bypass filter?

Filters do not capture wear particles, not even bypass filters, the particles are too small.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Filters do not capture wear particles, not even bypass filters, the particles are too small.

Are you sure? What size particles does a bypass remove and what size of particles does the analytical method used Blackstone detect?

It was Amsoil AMO 10-40w. It was 8 mths old w/14k miles on it. The full flow filter was a Fram XG8A and the bypass was a the same first run Amsoil EaBP90.

Here's the link http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3010117/Amsoil_AMO_10-40w,14k_miles,_0#Post3010117

I decided to try Walmart Super Tech 5-30w synthetic this next run. So I installed 6 qts, a new XG8A and a new EaBP90. Since the starting TBN of Super Tech is less than Amsoil I don't expect it to last 15k miles. So I'll do a UOA at 10k miles. If everything is OK but the TBN is depleted, I'll leave the filters in place and refill with ST. If there is wear I'll go back to Amsoil oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jetman
I decided to try Walmart Super Tech 5-30w synthetic this next run. So I installed 6 qts, a new XG8A and a new EaBP90. Since the starting TBN of Super Tech is less than Amsoil I don't expect it to last 15k miles. So I'll do a UOA at 10k miles. If everything is OK but the TBN is depleted, I'll leave the filters in place and refill with ST. If there is wear I'll go back to Amsoil oil.

A used oil analysis is meant to monitor oil condition. It is not in any way accurate as a wear measuring medium.
So if you think you can monitor wear with a used oil analysis you don't know what they are for so I suggst looking up an expert in the fields posts here by the name of Doug Hillary.
His posts should clue you in.
Thanks for posting your used oil analysis. I like Amsoil.

Starting TBN doesn't predict how it will perform. If there is wear? LOL

Originally Posted By: Clevy

A used oil analysis is meant to monitor oil condition. It is not in any way accurate as a wear measuring medium.
So if you think you can monitor wear with a used oil analysis you don't know what they are for so I suggst looking up an expert in the fields posts here by the name of Doug Hillary.

Sorry, man; you're just plain wrong. I know of too many references to post, such as the State of Idaho DOE study using Puradyn bypass filters for more study miles than you'll drive in a lifetime, machinery lubrication papers, information from Kleen-oil, Amsoil, Puradyn, NTZ, Eco micro filters, Gulf Coast, Perfect Filtration and a few other bypass filter manufacturers.

The benefits of CLEAN oil are documented in SAE papers 718813, 881825, 881827, 912344, 660081, etc. http://www.puradyn.com/filter-elements/ http://kleenlube.com/sae_tests http://www.envirolubesolutions.com/pdf/Kleenoil Sales Book.pdf http://www.perfectfiltration.com/ There are many more.

I am currently running an Amsoil bypass filtration system with a BP-90 filter; this enables me to install 3 Filtermags; and I just installed Motorsilk Boron based oil additive. I have 15K on my oil, 191K on my car, and at 12,000 miles my particle count was in an ISO 4406 range of 16/15.

UOA DOES show the condition of the interior of your engine as surely as a blood sample shows YOUR health.

A UOA with a particle count is a lot more useful for gleaning information about mechanical health than the $20.00 special (the majority of UOA's posted on this board) that is really only useful for determining lubricant health/contamination.

Nobody is debating the value of clean oil (and I certainly didn't take that away from Clevy's post) so I'm not sure what your point was jumping on him for that? He's remarking the general value of the type of UOA's we see on this board, and in that context, he is correct. He also cited a solid reference for that data, an individual who has done extensive fleet testing for the likes of Exxon-Mobil, BP and SOPUS. This included UOA's and routine random tear-downs to evaluate mechanical condition. He posted some wonderful 1.2 million Km tear-down pics from one of the 500HP Detroit powered rigs that was doing outback train work during his Delvac 1 5w-40 evaluation for XOM.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Sorry, man; you're just plain wrong. I know of too many references to post, such as the State of Idaho DOE study using Puradyn bypass filters for more study miles than you'll drive in a lifetime, machinery lubrication papers, information from Kleen-oil, Amsoil, Puradyn, NTZ, Eco micro filters, Gulf Coast, Perfect Filtration and a few other bypass filter manufacturers.

The benefits of CLEAN oil are documented in SAE papers 718813, 881825, 881827, 912344, 660081, etc. http://www.puradyn.com/filter-elements/ http://kleenlube.com/sae_tests http://www.envirolubesolutions.com/pdf/Kleenoil Sales Book.pdf http://www.perfectfiltration.com/ There are many more.

I am currently running an Amsoil bypass filtration system with a BP-90 filter; this enables me to install 3 Filtermags; and I just installed Motorsilk Boron based oil additive. I have 15K on my oil, 191K on my car, and at 12,000 miles my particle count was in an ISO 4406 range of 16/15.

UOA DOES show the condition of the interior of your engine as surely as a blood sample shows YOUR health.

LOL sorry but no you are absolutely wrong. A UOA does not directly measure wear rate. It only tells the cleanliness of the oil and even then a cheap UOA only measures a portion of the contaminants because it only measures particles within a certain size. So, a UOA does not measure all of the contaminants in the oil and your oil filter is catching some of the contaminants. To know the actual wear rate of the exposed surfaces of the engine you need to measure all contaminants both in the oil and the filter.

Oxidation and Nitration numbers look high. What is virgin for ACD? Given that this is a Polaris analysis, they recommend changing oil when TBN gets to 35% of virgin, which is 12.0 for ACD. So you should be changing at about TBN=4. I think you should go to a shorter OCI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back