Amsoil 5w30 Signature Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

Ok...here is my story. I have a 2008 Nissan Titan with close to 147k miles on it. I bought my truck 3 years ago. I drive mostly in town and a little highway driving from time to time. When I got my truck I started using Pennzoil Ultra Plat. 5w30. My truck hold 6.55 qts of oil. My truck does not use/burn any oil in between oil changes. I drive approx. 5k miles per year. I change my oil and wix xp filter once every year (5,000 miles).

I want as much feedback as possible regarding an idea I have. If I started using the Amsoil 5w30 sig series could I drive my truck for 2 years (10k miles) and change the oil and filter every 2 years? I am just concerned regarding the mileage on my truck and as much in town driving I mainly do.

Please share as much feed back as possible. I would be very grateful!

Attachments

• amsoil_signature_series_5w30_synthetic_motor_oil_1542960185_9cb4c9400_progressive.jpg
    amsoil_signature_series_5w30_synthetic_motor_oil_1542960185_9cb4c9400_progressive.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 24
Nothing wrong with your plan but really makes no financial sense. Change oil twice a year Walmart/Costco brand oil and invest the difference. I’ve used amsoil in my vehicles and saw no difference compared to other OTC brands. Well, except for the cost

To add to my previous post: the only amsoil product I still use is MTF in my 6 speed manual civic, it provides better shift quality compared to Honda OEM MTF

Ok...here is my story. I have a 2008 Nissan Titan with close to 147k miles on it. I bought my truck 3 years ago. I drive mostly in town and a little highway driving from time to time. When I got my truck I started using Pennzoil Ultra Plat. 5w30. My truck hold 6.55 qts of oil. My truck does not use/burn any oil in between oil changes. I drive approx. 5k miles per year. I change my oil and wix xp filter once every year (5,000 miles).

I want as much feedback as possible regarding an idea I have. If I started using the Amsoil 5w30 sig series could I drive my truck for 2 years (10k miles) and change the oil and filter every 2 years? I am just concerned regarding the mileage on my truck and as much in town driving I mainly do.

Please share as much feed back as possible. I would be very grateful!
If this is just to avoid the time/hassle of an oil change - consider a Fram XG over the Wix XP that has one of the worst micron particle cuts out there … The Amsoil SS can do this …

I used to be a huge amsoil fanboy but recently I’ve stopped using amsoil for a few reasons 1) it’s almost $11 a quart now for preferred customers. 2) a lot of oils add packs are very close to being the same as Amsoil, for instance the new Valvoline EP isn’t very far behind in a couple additives and actually has more moly than the SS line. 3) It’s not even very clear anymore on how much of the base stock is PAO based so realistically what are you paying for other than the name. Don’t get me wrong amsoil makes some quality products and after 130k miles with my wife’s 2017 escape has had zero engine related issues with its 2.0 EB but with that said once the time comes to change the oil I’m planning on likely switching to Valvoline EP, as for the OP’s original question I’d run any Of the big name brands off the shelf at Wally World and just keep changing it once a year

If this is just to avoid the time/hassle of an oil change - consider a Fram XG over the Wix XP that has one of the worst micron particle cuts out there … The Amsoil SS can do this …
Thanks for that info. I have it locked in on Amazon to buy real soon.

Remember….the guys at blackstone released a statement saying there is no statistically significant different in wear between different brands of oil. In fact most of the workers there use conventional….that should tell you something. Just stick to an API SP oil and follow your manufacturers recommendation and you should be good

Is the engine MPFI and in general easy on oil besides no burning? v6 or v8?
we assume no towing, no heavy load and no high speed. No?

if that's the case, I would get a pump (I have a pela) and easy change every year @5000 miles and 2nd year change the oil & filter.
you can then use any good oil. Many available under $5/qt.
prices as of last year.
seems like prices keep going up. Not long ago I bought M1 Euro FS and M1 EP for $22.xx and $24.xx / 5 qt. Recently bought Kirkland for $15 / 5 qt.

Last edited:
ivd is another thing to consider in a di cars.amsoil and penzzoil has the lowest noack if i reacall correctly.

I used to be a huge amsoil fanboy but recently I’ve stopped using amsoil for a few reasons 1) it’s almost $11 a quart now for preferred customers. 2) a lot of oils add packs are very close to being the same as Amsoil, for instance the new Valvoline EP isn’t very far behind in a couple additives and actually has more moly than the SS line. 3) It’s not even very clear anymore on how much of the base stock is PAO based so realistically what are you paying for other than the name. Don’t get me wrong amsoil makes some quality products and after 130k miles with my wife’s 2017 escape has had zero engine related issues with its 2.0 EB but with that said once the time comes to change the oil I’m planning on likely switching to Valvoline EP, as for the OP’s original question I’d run any Of the big name brands off the shelf at Wally World and just keep changing it once a year
You actually know what the Amsoil SS additive package consists of? Hmm..

You say most of your driving is in-town, but how long is your average trip? This matters a lot. If you are mostly short-tripping and your oil does not get hot very often, I would change it every year at least. But if your average trips allow the oil to reach full temp and stay there for a while, you could probably go 2 years safely, probably. An oil analysis is strongly recommended before you let it go 2 years. I would do an analysis at 1 year, then again at 18 months. If it still looks good, and you are out of warranty period, try going 2 years and see what the analysis says. Remember that oil is cheap (maybe not Amsoil LOL), and if you plan to keep this vehicle long-term, you will be better off spending a little more money and servicing it more often... in which case the Amsoil may be wasted and might want to try another synthetic (M1, PP, etc). But the analysis will be a big help here. My $0.02

Reactions: DR1
Nothing wrong with your plan but really makes no financial sense. Change oil twice a year Walmart/Costco brand oil and invest the difference. I’ve used amsoil in my vehicles and saw no difference compared to other OTC brands. Well, except for the cost
Seeing is one thing Running UOA are different-you would be surprised

Seeing is one thing Running UOA are different-you would be surprised
well, i have ran and seen UOAs with amsoil and other brands and my car. difference? not really, same thing. same meaningless wear numbers that really don't mean much

well, i have ran and seen UOAs with amsoil and other brands and my car. difference? not really, same thing. same meaningless wear numbers that really don't mean much
All this constant endless runaround for the "best oil" and the truth is within reason (spec and quality manufacturer), it makes absolutely NO difference to the engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back