Amsoil 5W-30 Sig Series VOA, MFG 020619

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached is my recent VOA for Amsoil 5W-30 Signature Series, Manufacturer date is 020619. Particle Count included. This was a bottle sample.

The AC Delco 5W-30 Dexos Gen 2 with 115ppm of boron became quickly depleted(after 1700m), I assume the cause is from GDI fuel dilution, so I am hoping the higher amount will help. All other additives remain constant.

AC Delco VOA showed a 5 abs/cm whereas Amsoil has it at 45. Similar for Amsoil 0W-30 in other VOAs posted on the forum. These oxidation numbers increase as the oil is used, but why such a high starting value?

Oxygen exposure does cause oxidation but not that much..

I was disappointed in the TBN results. Not blaming Amsoil, but the test method. The spec sheet is current as of 9/2018. Everything I have read the ASTM D4739 will not show the full reserve alkalinity, typically 1-2 points lower. This is 3.6 points below Amsoil spec sheet.

Has Polaris gone with an even weaker test medium(acid) for TBN? Once the TBN reaches 25% reserve, will this BN measurement be more accurate, or should we add 2-3 points to the results to get the real value?

My goal is longer drain intervals, but it may be limited by fuel dilution, which so far is running 4-5% (GC), or 2% using BSL flashpoint.

I have a data file of 568 UOAs for the GM Ecotec 2.4L (2006-2017) with and without GDI. Very interesting results of Iron wear, fuel dilution, and viscosity breakdown. Typical does not equate to normal as some labs suggest and increased wear rates are seen, coupled with viscosity loss even within the first 2500 miles. Non GDI fair much better and remains in grade even up to 10K miles. I will post the file soon.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 221
These oxidation numbers increase as the oil is used, but why such a high starting value?

[/quote]

Esters would cause the oxidation to read high. This value doesn't go up by much based on UOAs I've done

Slight variance in the add pack compared to the VOA I've done 2yrs ago

[Linked Image]

Thanks, I read that Esters are sometimes used in the additive packages to help them bind to the base oil. They must use a lot more Esters than normal. Did not know it affected Oxidation readings.

The AC Delco FS SN+ increased from 5 - 9 from the VOA to 3k miles with 4-5% fuel dilution. What kind of UOA readings will I see with starting point of around 50.

Both BS and Polaris report upwards 15-20% variance in the higher ppm readings of multiple source and additive metals. This is true when sampling the same fluid multiple times. This is for measurements of 50ppm or more. Wear metals are in the 5% range.

Given that variance, it appears to be the same or similar formulation, that is of what we can see.

How has your viscosity held up, compared to miles on your UOAs and do you have a GDI engine?

Here's my last report with all historical UOAs for my 1.5 TGDI Honda Civic notorious for fuel dilution. First two UOA I've ran Amsoil SS 0w20 (old formula) with the second interval on premium fuel only. Following 3 OCI were with new formula Amsoil SS 5w30 with the last one being the longest - close to 8K miles. The very last one looks like held up the best although wear metals have increased ever so slightly. Honestly, that's probably as far as I will go on the mile for a single fill even though base number is still good. Hope this helps.

[Linked Image]

Your smart using a high quality synthetic with your Turbo charged 1.5L. Looks like you still had some residual break-in metals in your first sample.

First sample, had an Iron wear rate of 1.9ppm/1000m. Samples 2-3 had a rate of 1.3. #4 had a rate of .9, and the last was 1.1.

Those rates are really good especially for a turbo charged engine, 1.1 is probably the norm for your engine. You could easily take the OCI much further.

Thanks for the info and sharing.

Currently running SS 0W20 in our Honda 1.5LT following the olm. Sucks that the sump is only 3.7 qrts of oil. About two oil changes worth left on the self. My try SS 5W30 or even XL 5W30 after that. The fuel rise has been minimal if any at all on the dip stick since new, 20K on the vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARB1977
Currently running SS 0W20 in our Honda 1.5LT following the olm. Sucks that the sump is only 3.7 qrts of oil. About two oil changes worth left on the self. My try SS 5W30 or even XL 5W30 after that. The fuel rise has been minimal if any at all on the dip stick since new, 20K on the vehicle.

I have known people to add a bypass filter for the added filtering and increase in sump capacity.. Typically adds 1qt to your total capacity, and reduces temps due to the increase volume external surface area..

Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole

I have known people to add a bypass filter for the added filtering and increase in sump capacity.. Typically adds 1qt to your total capacity, and reduces temps due to the increase volume external surface area..

Really great point/idea ^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole

I'll have to look under the car. Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back