Amsoil 15w40 vs Amsoil Small engine 10w40

Hi Bitogers, I'm looking for some opinions on which oil to run.
I have a 1992 John Deere 318 with an Onan Performer 218 opposed twin. I've owned it around 5 years and I've been Using Amsoil Max Duty 15w40 since I got it.
That oil seems to be working fine.
I've been wondering about the Amsoil Small engine formula 10w40. It's actually what Amsoil recommends in this application.
Just inquiring from the experts as to the pros and cons of each oil, and which would be the best for my application.
Thanks all! Look forward to reading the responses!

I have a 1992 John Deere 318 with an Onan Performer 218 opposed twin. I've owned it around 5 years and I've been Using Amsoil Max Duty 15w40 since I got it.
I've been wondering about the Amsoil Small engine formula 10w40. It's actually what Amsoil recommends in this application.
Just inquiring from the experts as to the pros and cons of each oil, and which would be the best for my application.
@Pablo is the Amsoil expert. I used Amsoil Small Engine in my Kawasaki FR730V and it ran very well. At 135 hours it probably could have gone 200. It’s a solid product, and while one is normally not starting a mower in freezing temps, I’d personally never use a 15wXX in my OPE. I want something that’s going to be thinner for faster lubrication whether splash or pumped lube.

Seriously either would work fine, but the 10W-40 is better for storage, starting and use.

It's a bit more modern oil and has more modern rust inhibitors. I am thinking the difference between the two is slim, really.

Last edited:
Back