Amsoil 10w40 MCV - BMW K1300GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having done an analisys on my vfr800 few years back, between Rotella 5w40 and Amsoil 15w40.

Both oils presented identical waer numbers, only the 5w40 had 1000 miles on it and Amsoil had 2000 miles on it, both were 30 weights.

But I agree, if going to run intervals over 3000 mile, you need something like a 15w50.

BTw, for those Manual followers, manufacturers just want you to obtain a usable life, not last forever. That is how they set up their maintenace

Originally Posted By: DockingPilot
Like you I also am very anal about my oil. My F800 BMW rotax built engine also chewed up Amsoil 10w40 pretty good in short order. I am a faithfull Amsoil user, but I will tell you that engine ripped that 10w40 down to a 30 weight in 2k miles. Although I had no wear metals like your showing. The diffence between my anal intencity and yours ? I would never go that far on oil in a bike. Never ! Holy smoke, thats nuts. Shared gearbox and wet clutch abuse on the oil ! Even with my R1200 GS that is seperate I'd never go that far. 3k tops for me not matter whats in there. In my F800 I switched to Spectro full syn 15w50 and that would test at a 40 weight at 2,500 miles.
Just my uneducated opinion though, Im no expert for sure. Good luck. Maybe run into you at the MOA rally in Pa ?

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
Your track daying a bike and running 7200 mile intervals?

I completely agree. A track day/weekend is all an oil gets.

Quote:
Thats insane Man! Look at your motor screaming in pain, ditch the redline. Use something a BMW likes. Switch to a Diesil and run 3000 mile intervals, I bet no more bad numbers.

My bet is that RedLine (almost anything in grade with enough ZDDP) is just fine is you drop to 1 track day per OCI or 3000 miles per OCI.

I have basically the same bike. My interpretation is that the Rotella does meet the spec, but I wouldn't want the have an argument with the dealer over it.

Also, if you intend to keep the bike, I wouldn't go 7k miles even if recommended by BMW. They recommend 15k miles on their normally aspirated and their turbo cars. Their turbos are notorious fuel diluters, while their NA engines are easy on oil. That is proof to me that engine longevity is not the primary determiner of their oil life recommendation.

I run max 3k miles on my BMW K1200S and max 6k on my turbo BMW car.

Do yourself a favor and get a mityvac. It takes about 2 minutes to suck 85-90% of the oil out of the dry-sump with a mityvac and re-fill with clean oil. If you've got 2 more minutes, you can drain what's left in the tiny oil pan.

I do this all the time, and I am a guy who has been convinced by UOAs that longer oil change intervals can be appropriate. I believe in the case of your bike, long intervals are not.

The filter is good for the recommended interval. Amsoil is an excellent oil, and better than Rotella. But with a shared sump/clutch and performance riding, regardless of what oil you choose, I believe what is needed is a shorter interval. I believe for a shorter interval, Rotella will provide excellent lubrication.

But... but.... but..... Amsoil doesn't sheer out of grade in the tests they publish.... how can this be that it sheered to a 30 weight?!?!?!

Could it be as Mobil 1 says.... bench tests are not always an accurate indicator of field performance?!?!?!

Hummmmm...

Well Blackstone doesnt differentiate, whats shear and whats fuel dilution, they dump it all together as fuel dilution.

Really, Amsoils newest 20w50 vtwin mc oil, is pretty stout stuff, its heavier than Mobil 1's 20w50. But I dont know what grade amsoil eludes to in their tests. Some cases I think they are using the 20w50 for test results, and not necessarily the test results for each grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back