Amsoil 0w40 SS

How many of you guys are running this oil? From the VOAs, it looks to be one of the best 40ws on the market. The GTR guys in my club almost exclusively run the stuff.

How many of you guys are running this oil? From the VOAs, it looks to be one of the best 40ws on the market. The GTR guys in my club almost exclusively run the stuff.
It's interesting that it's recommend for the GT-R application by AMSOIL, since the GT-R oil (M1 FS 0W-40) is a full-SAPS Euro oil with higher levels of phosphorous (AW additive).

AMSOIL 0W-40 has ~750ppm phosphorous:
(2) 2015 Ford Fusion, 2.0L Ecoboost, 12.5K, Amsoil SSO 0w-40 | Bob Is The Oil Guy

While M1 FS 0W-40 has 930ppm, as noted in the Product Guide and verified by VOA:
(2) Mobil 1 0w-40 SP VOA | Bob Is The Oil Guy

I'm very curious what the solvency (BITOG word of the year) is of the 0w40 SP now that all the oxidation values are under 10 across the board.

Or, are they taking the "dry" approach by maximizing deposit prevention rather than building in solvency into their oils?

Amsoil is clearly using some Group V. With the Mobil 1 it's anyone's guess with the latest formulation.

It's interesting that it's recommend for the GT-R application by AMSOIL, since the GT-R oil (M1 FS 0W-40) is a full-SAPS Euro oil with higher levels of phosphorous (AW additive).

AMSOIL 0W-40 has ~750ppm phosphorous:
(2) 2015 Ford Fusion, 2.0L Ecoboost, 12.5K, Amsoil SSO 0w-40 | Bob Is The Oil Guy

While M1 FS 0W-40 has 930ppm, as noted in the Product Guide and verified by VOA:
(2) Mobil 1 0w-40 SP VOA | Bob Is The Oil Guy
These guys have run the Euro 0w40FS, and the oil temps weren't much different than the Amsoil. The Amsoil does have a large amount of Boron, which I assume is some type of boron ester.

I'm an Amsoil fanboy. Solely on Trav's advice (and not to me personally), a few months ago in my daughter's car (2004 Buick Century, Unicorn with 56K on the clock), I switched from 5W30 to 0W40, and I have the first UOA with the 0W40. Nothing phenomenal, but LESS iron and wear metals than 5W30, with same mileage on oil, same driver over same routes (she didn't know I changed oil grades).
I'm not nearly the oil nerd some users on this site are; did 0W40 EXIST in 2004?

These guys have run the Euro 0w40FS, and the oil temps weren't much different than the Amsoil. The Amsoil does have a large amount of Boron, which I assume is some type of boron ester.
I wouldn't expect the oil temps to be different, the oils are similar in viscosity and I assume the car has an oil cooler.

Do we have a VOA for the AMSOIL? UOA shows 32ppm of Boron, the SP Mobil has 145ppm (SN had 320ppm), but that's a VOA, and Boron depletes with use. My HPL VOA was 75ppm for example, and UOA showed 50.

Here is a VOA from 2018. I don't think they've changed the formulation since then, but additive levels may have a bit over that time period.

1696954326992.png

1696954347944.png

Last edited:
Here is a VOA from 2018. I don't think they've changed the formulation since then, but additive levels may have a bit over that time period.

View attachment 182828
View attachment 182829
It looks like Boron was slashed in a recent formulation change, probably with the SN+ or SP upgrade, like the Mobil product, which saw a similar reduction.

Found one

Now we have more questions than answers, lol, because the 2023 UAO says the oil was SN+, so perhaps he had old stock?

Back