Amsoil 0w30 European - 3.5 HTHS and personal health report

Hey folks,

Just thought I'd let you all know about Amsoil 0w30 European 3.5 HTHS oil. It's a pretty decent price and Amsoil claims it also meets API SP requirements on top of all the European tests they have completed.

I switched over to it in the Caravan because I was looking for a 0w30 with as high of a HTHS as possible and this oil fits the list for me. I was using the XL 5w30 previously and it had a HTHS of 3.3 which led to excellent results on the UOA's I had run.

I'll post a UOA here in ~6 months when I've accumulated a few miles.

As for me because some of you have been asking... I'm getting along well with my Walker / Canes and leg splints. I can manage about 300ft before my legs / hip get tired and I need to sit down. The biggest challenge hasn't been adapting to my new impairments from the Spinal cord Injury, but the associated chronic tremendously bad neuropathic pain.

I'm on 11 medications in total to try and control it, while they do knock it down about 30% they comes with some really awful side-effects like brain-fog that no amount of coffee can solve, vertigo at times, short term memory problems, cognitive issues at times, and lethargy. I nap a few times a day.

I'm waiting to get in to see a Spinal injury pain clinic here in my hometown to discuss spinal nerve blocks, nerve ablation (destroying nerves with heat), and/or an implant like a pacemaker but for the spinalcord that shocks the spinal cord near the damage to keep the nerves busy. (This would need a replacement every 10 years).

Honestly I do anything at this point to make the horrific pain episodes stop. Screaming into a pillow for hours at times because it's so bad and then passing out from exhaustion some hours later.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I’m glad you like the Amsoil Euro full synthetic oil with that high HTHS. I bet it is recommended for Porsche c30 and MB 229.5 too.

When did you have that really really bad injury Stevie ? Holy holy cow… wow…

Well I’m glad you like the Amsoil Euro full synthetic oil with that high HTHS. I bet it is recommended for Porsche c30 and MB 229.5 too.

When did you have that really really bad injury Stevie ? Holy holy cow… wow…
March of 2022, fell in my driveway clearing snow... Had back pain but kept working etc. Then over the course of a month the pain got worse and worse until I woke up one night and ended up taking an ambulance to the hospital because it was really bad.

While I was waiting to see a doctor in the E.R. I lost feeling in my legs and lost bladder control so they admitted me for emergency surgery to fix the impaction on my spinal cord. Then due to some complications I had, I needed second surgery to fix more swelling on the spinal cord 9 days later.

I'm now a Paraplegic. I have partial walking ability with leg splits and a walker / canes but it's short distance because of leg/hip weakness. I think that's amazing because I have very little feeling (patchy in areas) below my hips.

And yes I STILL change my own oil. It was a Physio/Rehab goal that I be able to get down from my wheelchair to the ground so I could crawl under my van and then get back up into my chair. It was hard work but I did it. 😂😂😂

Wow….. holy cow….

It’s amazing you can still change the oil …

My goodness you have been through the proverbial gauntlet in the past year and three months.

You are an extremely tough guy for being able to do all that you do.

I feel for you Stevie… If you need anything… just send me a message.

Wow! That’s some serious health issues. Hope you start to feel better and be able to function more normally. That’s awful!

As to the Amsoil, I’m thinking about giving it a try, but the only one I’m interested in is their Signature series. I have a friend that can get me a discount. Unfortunately I just changed my oil 1,000 miles ago using just regular Mobil1 5W30 - I’m itching to get it out of there and go Amsoil. I need a little automotive excitement in my life. Haha. I have no idea why I think about oil so much...and if I’m going to keep doing that, I’m going to try Amsoil.

Moving to general and off topic.

StevieC -
That’s quite a story, and it’s clear that folks are far more interested in how you’re doing than in another thread on this AMSOIL product.

I can’t imagine the challenges that a spinal injury like yours presents.

Sure puts things in perspective for the rest of us.

Glad to see you back on the forum.

Last edited:
StevieC -, I wondered what had happened to you. I missed your posts when they stopped coming in. I'm pleased to know you can do your oil changes, but I understand that you have a long way to go on your road to recovery. I hope and pray you will make it all the way.

It has been a long year of recovery and while I was reading here I wasn't posting much because of time doing other things like attending medical appointments, rehab/physio etc. It's a full time job just keeping up on all this stuff.

Wow! That’s some serious health issues. Hope you start to feel better and be able to function more normally. That’s awful!

As to the Amsoil, I’m thinking about giving it a try, but the only one I’m interested in is their Signature series. I have a friend that can get me a discount. Unfortunately I just changed my oil 1,000 miles ago using just regular Mobil1 5W30 - I’m itching to get it out of there and go Amsoil. I need a little automotive excitement in my life. Haha. I have no idea why I think about oil so much...and if I’m going to keep doing that, I’m going to try Amsoil.
Yeah the reason I went XL 5W30 was the 3.3 HTHS. As the Signature is lower in the 5w30 / 0w30 both of which I tried and my PentaStar seems to favour the better HTHS so that is why I like the fact that European 0w30 is 3.5 HTHS which is even better than the 5w30 XL but with a better cold flow rating.

Moving to general and off topic.

StevieC -
That’s quite a story, and it’s clear that folks are far more interested in how you’re doing than in another thread on this AMSOIL product.

I can’t imagine the challenges that a spinal injury like yours presents.

Sure puts things in perspective for the rest of us.

Glad to see you back on the forum.
All good.

March of 2022, fell in my driveway clearing snow... Had back pain but kept working etc. Then over the course of a month the pain got worse and worse until I woke up one night and ended up taking an ambulance to the hospital because it was really bad.

While I was waiting to see a doctor in the E.R. I lost feeling in my legs and lost bladder control so they admitted me for emergency surgery to fix the impaction on my spinal cord. Then due to some complications I had, I needed second surgery to fix more swelling on the spinal cord 9 days later.

I'm now a Paraplegic. I have partial walking ability with leg splits and a walker / canes but it's short distance because of leg/hip weakness. I think that's amazing because I have very little feeling (patchy in areas) below my hips.

And yes I STILL change my own oil. It was a Physio/Rehab goal that I be able to get down from my wheelchair to the ground so I could crawl under my van and then get back up into my chair. It was hard work but I did it. 😂😂😂
Amazing! Great spirit to be changing your own oil, with the challenges you face. Bravo!

In my Physio/Rehab they said it was the first time they heard that this was a goal for someone to work towards. Most asked about how to get back in their wheelchairs if they fell, but no one wanted to intentionally get down on the ground / floor and then get back into their chair on purpose and especially not for things like changing oil.

The worked with me on that nevertheless. It's honestly amazing what they can help you achieve considering the limitations these injuries create.

Stevie, just wow, you are an hero. Hoping for continued improvement on top of the amazing progress you've already made.

Really good to have you back here - don't wait for that UOA to check back in!

Glad to hear you've had some improvements since the last time we talked. Are you expecting to get any feeling back over time?

Glad to hear you've had some improvements since the last time we talked. Are you expecting to get any feeling back over time

Unfortunately, no. It's pretty well set in stone at this point. There can be minor changes over time but it's marginal at best and also quite rare.
I'm ok with where I ended up because I can do most things just in different ways.

Unfortunately, no. It's pretty well set in stone at this point. There can be minor changes over time but it's marginal at best and also quite rare.
I'm ok with where I ended up because I can do most things just in different ways.
Glad to see you have a positive attitude in the face of such adversity :)

Glad to see you have a positive attitude in the face of such adversity :)
I gotta or this would eat me alive. There is a high rate of depression and the serious life altering effects (keeping it family friendly here) that it can lead to. They actually find you a therapist before discharge so that there is a support system in place because it's such a problem.

I just take it one day at a time. I'm in the process of getting my license reinstated. I have to go for a quick test with an occupational therapist and a driving instructor to show them I can drive with hand controls and with all the medication I'm on. It's fairly easy but it's $800 but it will give me some freedom and help break the cabin fever. As I can't go anywhere unless someone picks me up.

Stevie,

I’m also using the Euro in my two vehicles to battle viscosity decrease due to fuel dilution.

It will be a few months for my UOA.

Best wishes for your recovery.

Back