Amsoil 0w20 ASM vs 0W30 SSO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading all the good things about 0W30 SSO in the lengthy post on this board. Would it be accurate to assume that the ASM 0W20 is a lower-viscosity version of the SSO? (similar base-stocks, add-pack etc.)

The SSO uses an ashless anti-wear system. It's their top of the line oil. Both use PAO/Ester base oils but the additive chemistry is different.

Both have similar levels of zinc & phosphorous, I thought this would be the measure of whether an add-package is ashless or not - thanks.

Yes, they are similar chemistries (no MoDTC or Boron), although the SSO has a higher TBN and will last approx. 20% longer in service. The 0w-20 will give you better fuel efficiency however, so for OCI's < 25,000 km that would be the way to go.

I use the ASM 0w20 in my Mazda6, because the SSO with the higher vis seems to make the car run sluggish. These Duratec's seem to love the thinner oils.

Thanks, I am going to try the 0W20 in my 2005 Echo to compare with the HDD 5w30 that I have been running since new. I saw a chart at a Toyota dealer that confirms 5w20 as an alternate recommendation to 5W30.

If I could ever get a straight answer from my dealer on whether my 08 1ZZFE Corolla can use 20wt I'd go that route too. That silly TSB lists my engine, but then the dealer says I cannot use 5w-20 and I have to go with what is stamped on the cap (5w-30). Dealer said warranty void if 20wt used.

I wonder why Toyota comes out with a TSB that says my engine should be switched but dealer says no?

Originally Posted By: GordoW
Thanks, I am going to try the 0W20 in my 2005 Echo to compare with the HDD 5w30 that I have been running since new. I saw a chart at a Toyota dealer that confirms 5w20 as an alternate recommendation to 5W30.

Good choice. You'll be happy with it.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
If I could ever get a straight answer from my dealer on whether my 08 1ZZFE Corolla can use 20wt I'd go that route too. That silly TSB lists my engine, but then the dealer says I cannot use 5w-20 and I have to go with what is stamped on the cap (5w-30). Dealer said warranty void if 20wt used.

I wonder why Toyota comes out with a TSB that says my engine should be switched but dealer says no?

I would think a TSB from Toyota would override anything your dealer has to say.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

I would think a TSB from Toyota would override anything your dealer has to say.

Indeed. I would contact Toyota corporate about your dealer.

Ditto on what Johnny said. I would go with a TSB any day of the week.
I am sure the people who put out the TSB know much more than what the dealer knows..............Did not see Tempest comment until after my post.

He has a good point.

Last edited:

I would go off of the cap listings IMO, which i am doing on my 08 corolla.
IMO, toyota is buying into the so called CAFE regulations by listing the TSB on 20w oils. I'm not buying the fact our corolla's MUST have 20w.
I've been running Amsoil ASL 5w30 in ours since new and don't plan on changing, unless i decide to go with the SSO 0w30. I now have 19k on the car and 13k of that is on the same ASL oil with 2 OEM filter changes and the oil is only carmel in color and never uses a drop.
MPG on the car is 30 all city driving, and 42 hiway at 70mph, and 39 hiway at 75mph. It's a 5-speed manual sporting the Amsoil synthetic MTG gear lube in the diff.

I'm sure the dealer is going strictly off what the cap says only.

I'd say.........go off what the cap says & don't worry about it. If you'd like to maybe gain some mpg, then go with a 0w30.

Just my .02 cents.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Ditto on what Johnny said. I would go with a TSB any day of the week.
I am sure the people who put out the TSB know much more than what the dealer knows..............Did not see Tempest comment until after my post.

He has a good point.

Many good points here about my comment, and they're much appreciated. I think I'll attempt to call Toyota corporate just to let them know of the TSB vs. Dealer issue, but just continue using what the oil cap says. I don't want to tick off the Toyota dealer quite yet as the other closest one is 90 miles away. I want to drive the car hopefully until 150-200K, and I may need the dealer's services for the future.
19.gif

Last edited:
Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Honda, take your pick, I'd say the gap has closed and they are all a guarantee to hit 100K nowadays. As far as reliability I have seen 1ZZFE's with tons of miles on them and I have seen a lot of 3.8L GM's with 200K plus. All things being equal, today's car lasts a long time and longer with TLC/maintenance.

I have found many Toyota dealerships still have 5W-30 in their BULK tank. So 5W-30 oil changes are much more convenient and cheaper for the dealership.

The 5W-20/0W-20 as recommended by the TSB is probably only in quarts and is more expensive.

I doubt the dealer will put that warranty void statement in writing.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas

I would go off of the cap listings IMO, which i am doing on my 08 corolla.
IMO, toyota is buying into the so called CAFE regulations by listing the TSB on 20w oils. I'm not buying the fact our corolla's MUST have 20w.
I've been running Amsoil ASL 5w30 in ours since new and don't plan on changing, unless i decide to go with the SSO 0w30. I now have 19k on the car and 13k of that is on the same ASL oil with 2 OEM filter changes and the oil is only carmel in color and never uses a drop.
MPG on the car is 30 all city driving, and 42 hiway at 70mph, and 39 hiway at 75mph. It's a 5-speed manual sporting the Amsoil synthetic MTG gear lube in the diff.

I'm sure the dealer is going strictly off what the cap says only.

I'd say.........go off what the cap says & don't worry about it. If you'd like to maybe gain some mpg, then go with a 0w30.

Just my .02 cents.

im running 5W30 in my 08 as well (mtg in transaxle) but I have saom asm 0W20 and some 5W20 that I will be running eventually with out any worries.

I would go with the TSB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back