Amsoil 0W-30 41K OCI w/bypass Honda S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my latest UOA on my '03 Honda S2000 with an Amsoil Dual Remote Bypass Filter and a prelube pump. Mostly highway miles, and no issues. I changed the oil and both filters when I took this UOA. The car runs great. This was a 41,093 mile OCI. The car currently has over 272,000 miles with no engine work (other than a valve adjustment).

cc58d330-e482-4364-8a66-732d51f55375_zps92b8857d.jpg

I had a small leak from the adapter plate gasket, which I replaced during this oil change. The leak explains some of my oil consumption, although this F20C engine tends to burn some oil, which explains most of the makeup oil.

This is an astounding UOA.
The obvious caveat, though, would involve adds.
How many quarts did you add during this 41K run?

Originally Posted By: tig1
With adding 10 Qts of oil I'm not sure where the value is.

Not trying to downplay this UOA which is great...but I kind of see Tig1's point too. Where is the value? That thing is burning up a lot of great oil.

Okay, got it.
Still, a quart every 4K isn't bad for a 272K engine, especially one with a 9K redline and 120 bhp per liter.
The value proposition is a really clean UOA on a long run, although the oil was replaced twice over the miles run.

The value is to us oil burners - we can go longer, much longer intervals thanks to replenishment and good filtration.

Slalom,

What was the physical appearance of the oil when you drained it?

By the way, I don't consider a quart of oil per 4,000 miles to be excessive.

According to the UOA you only used 5.5 qts through 39.5k so the additional 4.5 qts was used to the 41k mark, how bad was the leak?

a quart every 4k? That's not bad at all....I've always gone by the old adage, don't fix it until you're throwing more fluid into it, than what it would cost to fix it...

OOoopps. Just saw the leak/burn reference
wink.gif

Last edited:
My objective is to keep my car for a long time without dealing with worn engine problems. Changing my oil once every year is an added benefit. With my setup, I'm not doing any damage by leaving the oil in for 40,000+ miles.

I don't drive my car very hard, but it is an S2000, so I drive and shift at higher RPMs. It's a fun car when you drive it that way.

The oil stays pretty clear on the dipstick for around 10k miles but submicron soot particles don't get filtered out. by the time I change the oil, it's pretty dark.

If you check out the S2000 forums, you will find that there are only a handful of cars with 250K+ miles without major engine work. I'm sure that I'd be able to get as many miles without a bypass filter and prelube pump, but I'm not finished. The real benefit of my setup won't be realized for another 250,000 miles.

Considering you have close to 300k on the car 1 qt/4k is not bad at all.

wear metals are low , So nothing to worry about.

Its one of the most intresting UOA ever.

Originally Posted By: tig1
With adding 10 Qts of oil I'm not sure where the value is.

Lets do some math here real quick...

Honda recommends 7,500 mile intervals for the S2000, if i remember correctly.

5 quarts per OCI + lets say 1 quart of make up oil = 6 quarts per OCI.

He'll do 5 oil changes in 40k miles which = over 31 quarts of oil.

If he's doing 40k on 15 quarts (5qts initial fill + 10 quarts of make up oil) then I say it's worth it. Not only is he saving oil, he's also saving valuable time by avoiding those 5 oil changes per year and only doing 1 oil change.

If the engine isn't suffering from it, I say, more power to him!

The only thing I'm wondering if he can get away with using cheap dino oil and not only still do amazing OCIs but save more while he's at it.

OP you're one of my favorite posters. I enjoy reading about the S2000. I have 370,000 on my honda.

Originally Posted By: KernelK

Agreed. If it were the old 3 month/3000 mile rule, the consumption would be barely noticeable, perhaps even unnoticeable.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: KernelK

Agreed. If it were the old 3 month/3000 mile rule, the consumption would be barely noticeable, perhaps even unnoticeable.

Did you think about what you said before you posted it? If the OP was doing 3k OCIs with the engine burning a quart ever 4,000 miles, he'd be down 3/4th of a quart at 3k.

I don't know about you but I notice when the oil level on my dipstick goes down half way or more...

Originally Posted By: Artem
Did you think about what you said before you posted it? If the OP was doing 3k OCIs with the engine burning a quart ever 4,000 miles, he'd be down 3/4th of a quart at 3k.

Yes, I did think of it, but I didn't say it, because it's absolute baloney.
wink.gif

I have had plenty of engines that burned next to nothing for most of the OCI, then, as time progressed, began to drink it down. I have yet to own any vehicle that burned oil in a linear fashion. Of course, I haven't owned a Saturn or a Vega, but the consumption I've observed was never linear, and that's counting plenty of vehicles.

It was extremely easy to observe such behaviour in the taxis, considering I logged every top up made. Even the worst oil burner of the fleet didn't do so in a linear fashion. It would easily go through a quart per thousand miles. But, after an oil change, it didn't need to be touched until about 2000 miles into the 6000 mile OCI, then it let loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back