Amsoil 0W-30 41K OCI w/bypass Honda S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good.
With you're oil consumption you may have met an equilibrium point where you do not need to change the oil at all. The oil's viscosity is not thickening and the fresh TBN boost every 4,000 miles effectively keeps the oil serviceable.

Suggest just taking a UOA sample at 45,000 mile but not changing the oil.

I have no idea how you can drive for that long in an S2000. Is your wife a chiropractor?

And as usual, Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the compliments.
grin.gif

As Garak stated, oil consumption isn't linear. I can go thousands of miles with seemingly no drop in oil level then overnight lose a half quart. I suspect that the way I drive affects this.

I may have reached equilibrium as Caterham suggests, but I'm not comfortable increasing the miles on the filters. And since soot doesn't get filtered out, I'll stick to my current regimen.

I agree with caterham. This vehicle might only need filter changes at this point.

1 qt per 4k is very good for one of these, regardless of age!

Outstanding I say! I alawys look forward to your reports, slalom. Thanks for sharing!

slalom44,
Didn't I read where you had a oil leak in your S? If you did can you guess how much the leak added to your oil total. Because going from 5.5 qt's. to 10 is a big jump.

ROD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rrounds
slalom44,
Didn't I read where you had a oil leak in your S? If you did can you guess how much the leak added to your oil total. Because going from 5.5 qt's. to 10 is a big jump.

ROD

It's hard to tell, but I don't believe the leak was the primary cause of the increase. The seal on the remote filter adapter got hard after 260K miles and gradually started to weep over the last two years. It didn't leave spots on my garage floor but left an oily film around and below the filter area.

I suspect something else accounts for most of the increase. I'm still using the original PCV valve. I could possibly have some gummed up rings. I'm not going to do anything unless it gets worse. The car runs so well, I don't want to start using additives.

In my case it was a change of driving conditions exposing the mechanical flaws of an old engine (valve seals). Its fine in the stop and go of the city. But at highway speed my consumption doubles.

Originally Posted By: slalom44
Originally Posted By: rrounds
slalom44,

ROD

It's hard to tell, but I don't believe the leak was the primary cause of the increase. The seal on the remote filter adapter got hard after 260K miles and gradually started to weep over the last two years. It didn't leave spots on my garage floor but left an oily film around and below the filter area.

I suspect something else accounts for most of the increase. I'm still using the original PCV valve. I could possibly have some gummed up rings. I'm not going to do anything unless it gets worse. The car runs so well, I don't want to start using additives.

You seem to be on top of the maintenance game, yet you didn't do a simple PCV valve replacement?
face-icon-small-shady.gif
I don't get it...

An increase from 5qts to 10qts should warrant some action to try to help fix the problem.

A PCV valve replacement in my 2006 Scion tC helped decrease oil consumption (was eating 3 quarts in 10k miles) so I recommend you replace your PCV.

I would love to see how HDD 5W-30 would do in this application. Too thick for you?

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: Artem

You seem to be on top of the maintenance game, yet you didn't do a simple PCV valve replacement?
face-icon-small-shady.gif
I don't get it...

An increase from 5qts to 10qts should warrant some action to try to help fix the problem.

A PCV valve replacement in my 2006 Scion tC helped decrease oil consumption (was eating 3 quarts in 10k miles) so I recommend you replace your PCV.

I have checked my PCV valve and it seems to be functioning properly, which is why I haven't replaced it. It rattles when I shake it an I can only blow through it one way. I may replace it anyway but I don't think that's the problem. The increase started at the same time I started using AZO (the new Amsoil Signature Series) but that might be coincidence. I was rationing my remaining stash of SSO and now I'm all out.

Bluesubie - you're more than welcome to try HDD 5W-30 in an application like mine but I'd prefer to stick with Amsoil 0W-30. It has a great add pack and retains its TBN very well. Besides - on subzero days it takes a long time to get oil pressure with my prelube pump with 0W-30 as it is.

Originally Posted By: slalom44
It rattles when I shake it an I can only blow through it one way. I may replace it anyway but I don't think that's the problem.

I'd get rid of it anyway. I had one in the F-150 pass those tests, but I still had ridiculous condensation, even with only very long trips. A PCV switch made the problem vanish. I don't know if it helped consumption though, since the truck leaked everywhere.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back