Amsoil 0w-30 ~~~ 2006 LS4 v8 Grand Prix GXP ~~~ 10,000mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
May 2, 2007
Messages
71
Location
Va
What I was trying to get at is if he was to return to the dealer for warranty work relating to an engine concern he may be asked to verify mileage and the OLM % remaining. I worked at a Honda dealer and have seen customers going by the OLM and having issues with warranty claims. I dont know if GM vehicles keep a log of OLMs when they are reset ETC. so it may be a good idea to be safe than sorry. Either way I think what hes doing is right but it kills me to see a good person wronged by a company thats all.
 
Joined
Oct 28, 2002
Messages
51,116
Location
Everson WA - Pacific NW USA
Quote:
I worked at a Honda dealer and have seen customers going by the OLM and having issues with warranty claims.
Amazing! This is really interesting. Maybe start a new thread on this. What would the dealers say??? Crazy stuff - how could the dealer go to HOA with that? I would almost think the dealer would be bluffing. I mean my Honda dealer tried to bamboozle us with "early and frequent" oil changes, "because you have a V6". He backed down when I challenged him.
 
Joined
May 2, 2007
Messages
71
Location
Va
Its very hard to prove that you followed the OLM and when a customer comes in and says "well ive been doing oil changes every 10k miles like the OLM tells me" it throws flags in some cases. Like i said personally i think hes doing the right thing but you have to remember a dealer can tell the manufacture just about anything they want, the cars been neglected, the car has been raced, car has been modified etc etc. In a perfect world a service writer at a dealership would have enough knowledge about the product line and extract enough information from the customer to make sure that warranty claims are hassle free. I personally have backed many customers and lied to the manufactures to help them out. For example Honda transmissions, ive helped numerous customers get replacement transmissions although they have neglected to have the recalls taken care of or even bother to have it serviced. What you must remember is that a manufacture can tell you its not going to cover an item flat out and believe me they will depending on the information they are given usually from either the advisor or the customer. I have seen advisors that are like sharks who will not help customers at all and others like myself who made an effort to actually help people. One guy i worked with wouldnt help an Accord owner who had purchased multiple vehicles from the dealer with an EGR problem because the customer "didnt use the proper fuel and neglected basic egr system maintaince" And as many of you know many Accords including this paticualr vehicle are covered by a warranty extension. A common topic that will be brought up is the type of oil used... Some advisors are quick to say that customers have used the wrong oils or even wrong filters. Look at Vw TDI engines failing when the wrong oils are used... The same tricks apply to honda's for some people its a game. Advisors are usually given a ____ base salary and the rest is commissions, and as many people know COD work will produce much higher sales numbers than warranty work for the same job. Even on my own personal vehicle i am going to play it safe till the warranties are done by obtaining reciepts making sure that the oil type filter type date a mileage are always included.
 

Bill in Utah

Staff member
Joined
Nov 11, 2002
Messages
12,847
Location
UT
Quote:
Its very hard to prove that you followed the OLM and when a customer comes in and says "well ive been doing oil changes every 10k miles like the OLM tells me" it throws flags in some cases. Like i said personally i think hes doing the right thing but you have to remember a dealer can tell the manufacture just about anything they want, the cars been neglected, the car has been raced, car has been modified etc etc. In a perfect world a service writer at a dealership would have enough knowledge about the product line and extract enough information from the customer to make sure that warranty claims are hassle free. I personally have backed many customers and lied to the manufactures to help them out. For example Honda transmissions, ive helped numerous customers get replacement transmissions although they have neglected to have the recalls taken care of or even bother to have it serviced. What you must remember is that a manufacture can tell you its not going to cover an item flat out and believe me they will depending on the information they are given usually from either the advisor or the customer. I have seen advisors that are like sharks who will not help customers at all and others like myself who made an effort to actually help people. One guy i worked with wouldnt help an Accord owner who had purchased multiple vehicles from the dealer with an EGR problem because the customer "didnt use the proper fuel and neglected basic egr system maintaince" And as many of you know many Accords including this paticualr vehicle are covered by a warranty extension. A common topic that will be brought up is the type of oil used... Some advisors are quick to say that customers have used the wrong oils or even wrong filters. Look at Vw TDI engines failing when the wrong oils are used... The same tricks apply to honda's for some people its a game. Advisors are usually given a ____ base salary and the rest is commissions, and as many people know COD work will produce much higher sales numbers than warranty work for the same job. Even on my own personal vehicle i am going to play it safe till the warranties are done by obtaining reciepts making sure that the oil type filter type date a mileage are always included.
Paragraphs are a good thing!
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2007
Messages
421
Location
Ontario, Canada
Quote:
At the time of oil change, I needed about 1qt to get back to the top of the crosshatch marks on the dipstick, so there was no refresher oil added since end of April (I added .5 qt). Given that I had added 1.5qts during the 10,000 mile interval, and that I needed 1 more qt to top up…, I had burned 2.5 qts during that time frame. That is 1qt consumed every 4000 miles. I think that is within reason, and I have read that the GM LSx series of motors are oil consumers.
Dont believe everything you read. Your vehicle has < 25k miles. I dont think its right that 1 quart should be burned every 4k. Have it checked out.. If this GM junk is burning oil at 25k then imagine at 100k. 0w30 has a decent noack volatility number of 8 something. In order for it to be consumed at that rate, your engine must be running at very very high temps.
 
Joined
Nov 17, 2002
Messages
3,023
Location
USA-Michigan
fyi Copper in UOA can come from the oil cooler. As the oil cooler is exposed to the heat from the engine oil, it can sometimes oxidize the copper, which will show up in the analysis report. This is considered a normal condition and no corrective action is required. This process usually will taper off or stop occurring over time. I can tell you the dealers around here still push 3,000 miles or 3 months. THEY WANT YOUR MONEY, THAT THE ONLY REASON THEY BAD MOUTH THE OLM OR EXTENED DRAINS. Anyone who thinks they are looking out for you is a fool soon parted with his money, to the dealer!
 
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
28,704
Location
CA
Quote:
What I was trying to get at is if he was to return to the dealer for warranty work relating to an engine concern he may be asked to verify mileage and the OLM % remaining. I worked at a Honda dealer and have seen customers going by the OLM and having issues with warranty claims. I dont know if GM vehicles keep a log of OLMs when they are reset ETC. so it may be a good idea to be safe than sorry. Either way I think what hes doing is right but it kills me to see a good person wronged by a company thats all.
What he says does make sense though, if one thinks about it. If Joe Blow walks in and says his OLM told him that he needed an oil change every 9k miles, no one can truly verify that it was at 5% remaining at 9k miles as the OLM doesn't leave a "log" of any kind. His OLM may very well have told him to do a service back at 6k... On the other hand, I don't recall dealerships logging down your oil life remaining when you take your car into the Honda quick lube for a service either.
 
Joined
Oct 28, 2002
Messages
51,116
Location
Everson WA - Pacific NW USA
I do see that point, but "as the OLM doesn't leave a "log" of any kind" Are you sure? I thought some did. But that's a nasty catch 22. Following the manual means following the OLM. (But keep your oil purchase receipts, and a log, at the very least!) (I also have kept my old filters....sick I know)
 
Joined
May 2, 2007
Messages
71
Location
Va
I know that many Honda stores dont log the OLM including where I worked. Although they do log dates, oil grade, oil type and mileage. I do feel that he is doing the right thing but my point of all this is to say that its better to be safe than sorry. Like Mike said dealers want your money... so dont give them any uneeded opportunities
 
Joined
Jan 20, 2003
Messages
18,448
Location
East of IGO
Quote:
Quote:
At the time of oil change, I needed about 1qt to get back to the top of the crosshatch marks on the dipstick, so there was no refresher oil added since end of April (I added .5 qt). Given that I had added 1.5qts during the 10,000 mile interval, and that I needed 1 more qt to top up…, I had burned 2.5 qts during that time frame. That is 1qt consumed every 4000 miles. I think that is within reason, and I have read that the GM LSx series of motors are oil consumers.
Dont believe everything you read. Your vehicle has < 25k miles. I dont think its right that 1 quart should be burned every 4k. Have it checked out.. If this GM junk is burning oil at 25k then imagine at 100k. 0w30 has a decent noack volatility number of 8 something. In order for it to be consumed at that rate, your engine must be running at very very high temps.
The oil consumption is not that bad at all . What indication is there that the engine must be running at very high temps? Oil consumption entails more than evaporation.
 

blakeinspace

Thread starter
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
59
Location
Fort Worth, TX
GM junk, huh? Personal experience or just opinion? I'd hope the Canadians that built my car are proud of their work! From what I have read, many of the LSx family of motors are oil consumers. I don't necessarily like that, but I think it is the nature of that beast. Either way, when the car goes to the shop for some random warranty work, (rattles and such)... I will mention it, and then there will be a record of it. Now if something rattling around in the dash cowel means GM junk... I guess I'd have to agree with you... rattle =
 

blakeinspace

Thread starter
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
59
Location
Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
Are you sure? I thought some did. But that's a nasty catch 22. Following the manual means following the OLM. (But keep your oil purchase receipts, and a log, at the very least!) (I also have kept my old filters.... sick I know )
Nice that you can make fun of yourself like that! I get more customer satisfaction on things gone awry, be it a restuarant meal or warranty work needed... with a sense of humor than playing the "irate mad as heck card" or the "dumb & clueless" card. ( <--- I am neither cute enough, nor female enough to make use of it anyways...) As for the OLM, I highly doubt that it keeps a log. I have nothing to back that up other than conjecture, and instinct. Reasons are... the DIC (drivers information center) is a 5 button contraption, with pictures (think Egyptian heiroglyphics) on the buttons. Both times I intentionaly reset the OLM, I had to get the owners Bible to figure it out. "let's see... hit 'Anubis' twice, followed by 'Ra', then hold down for five seconds on the glyph of Moses parting the Red Sea..." Then looking for something, you accidentally reset it... Half the time, I go to check fuel economy and put the darn thing in French... So, I can't imagine the OLM being tracked... Now, number of times WOT, or max RPM/Speed tracked... Well, I might be in trouble... Hope the tech can read French...
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2007
Messages
421
Location
Ontario, Canada
Quote:
GM junk, huh? Personal experience or just opinion?
Yeah.. sorry got carried away. Traded mine early this year.. Think I'm done with GM. Apologize again... not to hijack the thread here.
 

blakeinspace

Thread starter
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
59
Location
Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
Yeah.. sorry got carried away. Traded mine early this year.. Think I'm done with GM. Apologize again... not to hijack the thread here.
NP I wasn't joking about the Canuk part... this one was put together North of the border... And I don't mean Oklahoma either...
 
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
10
Location
CA
Quote:
1) Not cleaning your oil plug well after dropping it. (Ouch! HOT!)
Drain plug? Dude, that's dark ages*. Fumoto oil drain spigots seem popular in online forums. Instead I have an Aeroquip quick-connect oil drain valve, which I really like a lot, although it costs more than Fumoto. There are other makers of both spigots & quick connect valves as well. *I'm kidding, and I still have a drain plug on one car.
 
Joined
Dec 25, 2002
Messages
3,593
Location
Outside smalltown, IL
All these posts about warranty claims from following the OLM. I find it difficult to believe they'd try to deny any warranty claim, especially if it's the procedure called out in the manual. Seriously, what's the point of having an OLM if you can't follow the schedule it creates for you? I'd dump the drop in K&N myself. All it's doing is allowing more dirt into the engine. I've yet to see any dyno test where they increased HP or economy measurably without other additional engine mods. I'd be unhappy with the oil consumption myself. If it had 100K miles I wouldn't mind a quart every 4K. I think it's excessive on basically a new engine unless it's really being run hard...
 
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
2
Location
Mississippi
My 5.3 motor in my 2006 silverado with 20,000 miles doesn't seem to burn any significant amount of oil. I'm at 6,000 miles since my last oil change with no top offs and it's still very close to the top of the cross-hatched zone on the dipstick. This is using M1 5w-30 extended oil.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top