American made Euro formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at an AZ store here in south Florida over the weekend. Had never heard of GC before I started reading BITOG. Thought I would see if any GC was here. Did not find any made in Germany, BUT... did find some 5w40 Syntec that stated "Euro formula now made in the USA" on the back of the bottles. Was only in the 5w40 grade. Anyone know about this, or if they will now make GC here in the good old USA? I have been using a mixture of Mobil 1, 5w30 and Mobile "5000" 5w30 in my Tundra. I keep hearing how Mobil 1 is on the light side of 30 wt. Here in South Florida, cold weather starting is not really an issue, hot summers are. What do you all think?

The Syntec 5w-40 was formerly known as "Belgian Castrol" because of its country of origin. Syntec 5w-40 is now made in the U.S. The GC is only available in 0w-30 and is marked "made in Germany" on the back. It is only available at Autozone.

As said above, 5W-40 was BC, but now made (or blended) in the USA.

You have to be careful when buying the 0W-30. Bottles marked M01xxxxx were made in the USA.
Bottles marked M02xxxxx thru M04xxxxx were made in Germany and it says so on the back of the bottle, plus it is Green. Early M05xxxx was also made in Germany (Green). Later M05xxxx was also made in Germany (Gold) but not green. All of the GC made in Germany says so on the back of the bottle. Some later M05xxxx in both the older style bottles, and the squarer bottles do not say made in Germany, but something like Blended in the USA. These are not the ones to get. I just purchased some M06xxxxxx, not is the squarer bottles, that says Made in Germany on the back.
If it is made in Germany, it is GC (either Green or Gold).

Bob

01 GoldWing
02 Continental
03 Marauder

quote:

Originally posted by ctrcbob:
As said above, 5W-40 was BC, but now made (or blended) in the USA.

You have to be careful when buying the 0W-30. Bottles marked M01xxxxx were made in the USA.
Bottles marked M02xxxxx thru M04xxxxx were made in Germany and it says so on the back of the bottle, plus it is Green. Early M05xxxx was also made in Germany (Green). Later M05xxxx was also made in Germany (Gold) but not green. All of the GC made in Germany says so on the back of the bottle. Some later M05xxxx in both the older style bottles, and the squarer bottles do not say made in Germany, but something like Blended in the USA. These are not the ones to get. I just purchased some M06xxxxxx, not is the squarer bottles, that says Made in Germany on the back.
If it is made in Germany, it is GC (either Green or Gold).

Bob

01 GoldWing
02 Continental
03 Marauder

THAT JUST MADE MY HEAD HURT.

OK, lets put it like this.
GC (Green) is M02 thru M04 plus M050xxxxxx.

Any other M051xxxxx are GC (Gold) except those in the square bottles that don't say Made in Germany. (Some say Made in Germany and some don't).

So far, the M06 that I've seen all say Made in Germany and they are not in the square bottles.

BTW, I could be wrong on that last lot number of GC Green. Someone here can correct that lot number if I'm wrong.

quote:

Any other M051xxxxx are GC (Gold) except those in the square bottles that don't say Made in Germany. (Some say Made in Germany and some don't).

All of the recent 0w30 Syntec is made in Germany.
The last non-German batch has been produced in 2002.

Pre-GC: M02xxxxxxx made in USA
GC Green: from M02xxxxxx to M05010xxxx German made.
GC Gold: anything after M05010xxxxxxx (e.g. M05020xxxx) German made.

Square bottles (aka Katrina bottles): Gold GC, German made.

So anyone see if there is a difference between BC and the newer US blended 5W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back