Amber or Red rear turn signals....

What are these "turn signals" you speak of? Blinking lights that indicate a driver's intention to turn or change lanes? Must be a new invention, I've never seen one in use. :ROFLMAO:

I don't care what color they are as long as the driver actually uses them!

On a somewhat-related note - yesterday I was behind a new Lexus SUV that had perhaps the smallest brake lights I'd ever seen. I think they were about the size of my thumb! Thus furthering the tradition of Toyota products having the most sub-par taillights in the business.

european manufacturers do not like amber rear turn signals, they are simply forced by regulations to keep it around in euro and other markets.

they are undesirable in the same way as the american 4-corner marker lamps
But it doesn’t explain when Americanized, those amber turn signals become red turn signals

But it doesn’t explain when Americanized, those amber turn signals become red turn signals
they are forced by regulations to make them amber for the rest of the world.

they have tried all the tricks like little white clear cutouts or smoked sections so the light can appear amber when turned on, but they are never as clean as a real red tailight.

Last edited:
What are these "turn signals" you speak of? Blinking lights that indicate a driver's intention to turn or change lanes? Must be a new invention, I've never seen one in use. :ROFLMAO:

I don't care what color they are as long as the driver actually uses them!
I think turn signals are an option some people don't want to spend the extra bread on:D

Even my Simplicity snow blower came with amber lens on the light for visibility at night!

My 1976 Moto Guzzi motorcycle came with amber lens but i changed them to 4-inch lens, great in the daytime and outstanding in the nighttime rides

Convert

Tom B

Last edited:
Amber is the best solution, but red would be more acceptable if the OEMs didn't use it as license to cheap out and cosolidate and distill three functions (tail/stop/signal) into a single light source. Some of the older Chrysler products, like the minvans, and pickups are notable examples, with a single red lense with a clear cutout, and two bulbs, one for reverse, and one for everything else. Having discrete sources for each function would at least reduce the risk of potential confustion, even if they're all the same color.
Totally agree.

Back