Amber or Red rear turn signals....

I would also agree with the findings, but more importantly IMHO would be to upgrade to LED lighting. LED's are nearly instantaneous, and catch attention due to how fast they go from no light, to full illumination. Incandescents have more of a "soft start" and don't catch as much attention, nor react as quickly.

Rear turn's aren't as important as front turns IMHO - if the brake lights are on, you should be slowing down no matter if they are turning or not. I guess if there is a rare occasion where one might turn without the brakes???

I think they should be Amber and easily seen. And in the same area as the brake lights and not on down on the bumper like some I’ve seen lately.

2E901B4E-310C-443A-BFF0-6EA53DDCA79D.jpeg

I've not bought a vehicle that did not have amber signal lights since 1970!
My last car a 2008 MB E350 4Matic had them, when I went to purchase a new one in 2017 they all had red, my current car
is a 2017 Lexus RX 350, had MB had amber I'd be driving one of them, a much more enjoyable drive IMO, but I cannot ignore safety.

since someone posting this video was inevitable... it may as well be me!

I've owned 6 vehicles, only #1( 87 Olds 98 Inherited from Grandpa), and #3( 05 Dodge Neon I bought from my Brother) had red turns/combo lights. the rest have all been amber, and that is my preference going forward.

Last edited:
I would also agree with the findings, but more importantly IMHO would be to upgrade to LED lighting. LED's are nearly instantaneous, and catch attention due to how fast they go from no light, to full illumination. Incandescents have more of a "soft start" and don't catch as much attention, nor react as quickly.

Rear turn's aren't as important as front turns IMHO - if the brake lights are on, you should be slowing down no matter if they are turning or not. I guess if there is a rare occasion where one might turn without the brakes???

changing lanes

I had two 1981 Chevy Citations, yeah I still can't believe it, one had something called the euro package and had amber lights.
And yes, I still feel shame that I spent money for these!
My Audi has secquencial signals that look kind of like hot pink.

Last edited:
Imo all rear turning signals should be amber. Much easier to see vs a small portion of the tailight that’s the very same color.

With all the blingy nanny gadgets cars now have, I don’t understand why amber turning signals aren’t dot standard.
DOT FMVSS standard requires amber turn signals to be a minimum size, which many of the european car counterparts don't meet.

But, what is annoying is when they do have amber turn signals, a refresh changes them to red. for example the BMW 5-series e60 originally came with incandescent amber rear turn signals, but the refresh changed it to red LED turn signals

another example
amber turn signals

1669156293742.jpg

red turn signals
2010TOY003a_640_06.jpg

Last edited:
Changing lanes on a freeway. Consider a car in the right lane and one in the left lane want to take the same gap in the center lane.
On top of everyone constantly tapping their brakes in that environment, assuming heavy traffic and the typical failure to leave a buffer between vehicles. Flashing red lights could get tuned out quite easily.

Not all signal scenarios involve braking.
Lane changes and similar don't usually engage the brakes.
Ditto for exit/entrance ramps, etc.
On a really good day, I'm not braking much for the roundabouts.

If I'm in stop & go traffic in the middle of a 3 lane highway, I can only see the "inboard" tail lights of the guys in adjacent lanes, one or two cars in front of me. And they're on and off the brake all the time, which mimics a red turn signal, which I need to know about, because they could be jumping into my lane.

Ram has a multi-color LED that's amber for turns (yay) but lacks a red brake light on concurrently in the same lamp fixture. (boo)

Back