Amazon: "You're the next stop"... but I'm not.

About an hour ago, I watched the Amazon truck drive right by my house.

Ever since then, when I look at the delivery tracking page, it repeatedly states "You're the next stop", as the driver keeps making other stops, and working his/her way farther and farther away from my house.

At what point, do their systems notify a driver that they've driven right past a delivery? With GPS monitoring and a record of the packages on that truck, I would have thought it would be long before now.

Or is it gently rerouting them back towards me, and planning it in a way so they can still make more deliveries while en route?

At what point, do their systems notify a driver that they've driven right past a delivery? With GPS monitoring and a record of the packages on that truck, I would have thought it would be long before now.
How would anyone here know this?!?
You're asking for rampant speculation.

You're bound to get a bunch of 'I suppose' and 'I think' type answers but unless a user here is in Amazon IT it's all going to be speculation.

So I suppose it's when they get to the seventh house past yours.

How would anyone here know this?!?
You're asking for rampant speculation.

You're bound to get a bunch of 'I suppose' and 'I think' type answers but unless a user here is in Amazon IT it's all going to be speculation.

So I suppose it's when they get to the seventh house past yours.

Maybe from a current or former employee, or a current or former driver? Possibly? Wouldn't they know?

I used to manage a warehouse for a software company, so I had to deal with errant deliveries on a daily basis.

I apologize for my curiousity getting in the way.

Your box was probably loaded on the wrong shelf. He will (hopefully) deliver to you when he finds it. Unless he thinks he is too far to double back. (Former delivery guy)

Perhaps they're like UPS..... Driver makes all the stops on one side of the street, before coming back the other way to do the other side. Safer that way supposedly.

Here at the office, I see the UPS truck go by making all the stops on the other side of the street; then an hour later, he comes back to do our site. No idea what all goes on in the mean time.

Perhaps they're like UPS..... Driver makes all the stops on one side of the street, before coming back the other way to do the other side. Safer that way supposedly.
UPS is probably doing that for safety like you say and while in some locations it may seem silly and overkill, if that's their rule, it applies everywhere. I'm certain they could deliver to (2) addresses during one stop quicker than stopping twice.

Get in your car and go chase him down!
When I told our UPS driver that UPS was planning to offer what was effectively "driver tracking" based on a package, he used a few curse words.... Drivers weren't even aware that the company might be doing this and his first thought was "great, someone is going to chase me down looking for their package".

No idea but I know Amazon sometimes has early and late delivery on the same day.
I think that's correct. I've seen them deliver to my neighbors around mid-day, skipping me.... I get frustrated because that was supposed to be my delivery day too, but fear not they came back later (6-7 PM sometimes) with another round of deliveries.

An Amazon driver I know says if they suspect they are being followed by potential porch pirates, they should just drive around aimlessly for a few minutes. That he said, tells the pirates they have been spotted.

Makes sense

We receive Amazon packages at work, some being delivered by Amazon, but we generally tell the drivers to go to the loading dock so they can be recorded. About a month ago, a driver pulls up and is told he needs to go to the dock. His response: "Well, I wasn't given good enough directions, so they won't get their packages." And drove off. It's a right, then the third right to the dock...simple. Incompetent fruit fly driving that truck!

Back