Amazon is now hosting WikiLeaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704679204575647152417805496.html?mod=googlenews_wsj#articleTabs%3Darticle

I wonder if Amazon will get in trouble now?

Hopefully it is on different servers and when the different governments try to DDOS it, the Christmas shopping will not be affected.

Funny it's still not available from where I sit....not that I read it anyway.

I had read that China was behind this latest denial of service attack.

Looks like there is a very strong pressure from our government to silence WikiLeaks. They have been forced to change their domain: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11907641

We are not China yet but we sure are getting very close by censoring free speech and trying to prosecute Assange.

Quote:
The net appears to be closing in on Wikileaks as more and more companies it relies on distance themselves from it.

Shutting down the main .org site will cause problems but it is by no means the end.

Its Twitter feed remains defiant, urging fans to log on via its IP address with the tweet "Free speech has a number: http://88.80.13.160".

In some ways, any attempts to cut off Wikileaks could be a case of too little, too late.

The thousands of secret US diplomatic cables at the heart of the controversy are already with media outlets.

A site as controversial and savvy as Wikileaks has plenty up its sleeve, like the mysterious encrypted file labelled 'insurance', which is believed to have been posted on Bit Torrent and is rumoured to contain all the leaks.

This(Amazon hosting wiki leaks) was announced on Rush Limbough show yesterday. People were encouraged to contact Amazon that they shouldnt host Wiki and that [censored] Rapist Asssange or face lost business.

Within 15 minuted, Amazon decided to stop hosting. Guess they didnt want to _____ off 15 million potential customers.

one has to wonder though what kind of idiot CEO would allow his servers to host something from Wiki Leaks and not think customers would be upset???

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/12/01/amazon-severs-ties-wikileaks/
Amazon no longer hosts Wikileaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's a kind of a balancing act business leaders perform every day. Would these 15 million people be upset enough to make a decision to switch to a competing outlet and miss out on potential savings or the wide variety?

Plus, the hosting service is open to all legal activity and the CEO does not approve every single user on its servers.

But a savvy PR person does damage control like this very quickly. they gain nothing by not bowing to pressure from special interest groups.

Julian Assange is a hero.

For once someone is putting a hot poker to these [censored] to keep them honest. I love it! This is about as much of a shot we average joe's will ever get of knowing the truth about what our governments did. I can't see how people think it's a bad thing.

I a person cables stuff he doesn't want out there, he shouldn't be saying it, or acting it... really simple in my mind.

the truth shall set you free.

He's a smart pervert. He has company. He is not a USA citizen, right? Our rights and freedoms don't apply to him.

Hero? Frliack no.

Like it or not we ARE allowed to plan, scheme, resist, fight our enemies. It's not black and white, nor even shades of gray - but evil exists - even some of the released material supports this!

So should Assange be shot? Don't care. If he did those crimes, well sure.

Should the person who swore to uphold and keep secrets - yet handed them out be shot? Of course. Traitor, at the very least.

Originally Posted By: crinkles

Never mind Brit and American troops dieing because of him.
Never mind Afghans cooperating with us being shot because of him.
Never mind our intelligence sources and assets exposed.
Never mind other governments not sharing info preventing another attack, because of him.

Che Guevara was a 'hero' to some people too.
smirk.gif

Assange clearly has an agenda. If that's not obvious enough then no attempt to explain it would be of value.

Looks like PayPal has shut him off too.

http://www.businessinsider.com/paypal-announces-it-will-no-longer-handle-wikileaks-donations-2010-12

PayPal Announces It Will No Longer Handle Wikileaks Donations
ReadWriteWeb | Dec. 4, 2010, 1:06 AM |

In the latest in a series of blows to Wikileaks, Paypal says it will no longer support money transfers to the whistleblower site. Paypal has posted a statement to its website, stating: "PayPal has permanently restricted the account used by WikiLeaks due to a violation of the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy, which states that our payment service cannot be used for any activities that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity. We've notified the account holder of this action."

Just to understand clearly as not a single person has stated this.

Amazon.com beyond their selling of items/marketplace has moved into "cloud computing". Basically they will host(web servers etc) anything you want and charge by usage. I did not read any policies but they do not review what goes up.

I personally use their developer version of hosting for some of my work instead of a noisy server at my home.

Wikileaks WILL never go away........There is always going to a host on the internet that is "untouchable" to host it.

Originally Posted By: crinkles

For once someone is putting a hot poker to these [censored] to keep them honest. I love it! This is about as much of a shot we average joe's will ever get of knowing the truth about what our governments did. I can't see how people think it's a bad thing.

I a person cables stuff he doesn't want out there, he shouldn't be saying it, or acting it... really simple in my mind.

the truth shall set you free.
++++++1

Amazon is more than a bookstore, they offer serious storage and hosting solutions for anyone who will pay them. I don't think this is political at all, just business.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Amazon is more than a bookstore, they offer serious storage and hosting solutions for anyone who will pay them. I don't think this is political at all, just business.

Dropping was political. Paypal dropping Wikileaks is political, too. Businesses have no interest in first amendment or truth.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
. Businesses have no interest in first amendment or truth.

Maybe some do, maybe some don't. Pretty strong statement - can you actually prove this?

I have to ask, how long did it take you develop this stereotype? Prejudice lives strong in 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back