Regulators launch suit to upend Amazon’s business empire

I would love for Amazon to have some online competition for retail sales. I use it a ton because of the convenience of not having to get out of my chair and drive to a store hoping they will have what I need and if they don't driving around until I find it. I live in a rural area and the savings on gas and wear & tear on my truck more than covers the cost of a Prime subscription (plus my wife watches Prime Videos a lot.) But it pays to price shop online and not assume that Amazon has the best price because often they don't. I just ordered some Lubegard Shudder Fixx from Walmart because it was $4 cheaper than Amazon.

If legislation is ever passed it may harm the consumer more than Amazon and chances are lobbyists for the retail industry along with Amazon will be the ones who write the legislation.

All of Amazons profit in certain years was from the government and military, product sales are mostly a loss leader
No, it is the cloud business. In the product sales side it is the prime subscription, but recently they are starting to make more hosting 3rd party sellers than selling things themselves.

AMZN does not use Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), so where they make and use their revenue and profits is not truly transparent nor clear. AMZN makes a lot of money for investment banks and outside accounting firms- so all is well in AMZN's financial business practices.

Rarely do people mention how AMZN has done so well. It was AMZN's ability to borrow/ raise unlimited amounts of money at near zero percent for many years. Imagine how successful you might be if you could get some very smart people together, and get unlimited funding at near zero percent.
You forgot that everyone in the last several years could get almost unlimited 0% fund. Microsoft being one and they made a lot of money off copying AWS. Same as Alibaba (which basically just a Chinese Amazon knockoff on every business practice to the dot), same as Tencent.

One of the reason AMZN grows so fast is how they 1) pay employee bonus with 4 years vesting schedule, so your bonus every year is in stocks vesting for 4 years out. So if you are able to stay you will get your carrots, and more 4 year carrots into the future. If you are lucky the stock will go up in value and we will not fire you before vesting, and if it goes down either we pay you more in stocks 4 years out, or we fire enough people to make it back again. 2) They keep firing the bottom 5-6% of each level of employees (per 50 head count as a group) regardless of good and bad years so they can keep the best performing ones.

Last edited:
I would love for Amazon to have some online competition for retail sales. I use it a ton because of the convenience of not having to get out of my chair and drive to a store hoping they will have what I need and if they don't driving around until I find it. I live in a rural area and the savings on gas and wear & tear on my truck more than covers the cost of a Prime subscription (plus my wife watches Prime Videos a lot.) But it pays to price shop online and not assume that Amazon has the best price because often they don't. I just ordered some Lubegard Shudder Fixx from Walmart because it was $4 cheaper than Amazon.
I typically buy a lot more on Walmart Plus, Target, and eBay than Amazon. You just have to pad some toilet papers and paper towels to get them to the minimum free shipping, or open a Target card to get free shipping. I live near a Whole Foods so I can return Amazon purchase very easily for free, that's the main reason I want to buy from them, sometimes padding on some nonsense purchase just to get free shipping and if it isn't as nice as I want it to be, return. I can't do that with eBay.

I only use Prime free trial once in a while for emergency purchase (nobody carries locally and Amazon is the fastest place if I have prime). I can wait for a week without prime usually, or pad enough nonsense to get free shipping.

The only bad thing is chances are any legislation will be written by Amazon lobbyists so dont think for a minute Amazon will be harmed in any way. It will be divided into separate companies and that is fine, I dont want anyone harming Amazon.
Also one must keep in mind the institutions that regulate as part of this = http://usdebtclock.org so here we look to them to fix private industry but ... (no politics)

Reactions: GON
Back