Amazon - Free Shipping Over $xx

I saw this thread and had to check. I logged on to Amazon and the free (basic) shipping was still over $25. for me. I've never had Prime. If that had changed, then I would be avoiding them even more than I have for a couple of years. When I do order from them these days it's typically small orders.

I have done a large amount of online ordering from Walmart for some years. They have launched another Walmart club which I don't participate in. Still $35. minimum for free shipping. In the past couple of years, a lot of the items are delivered from one or another local stores. I'm pretty sure that the people that do that are not Walmart employees. That actually worked well nearly all the time until the past several orders. Last order, the Fed-Ex'd things went well as always, but the large store delivery never happened. Stayed in a delayed status for 5 or 6 days. I've used their hard to find chat (don't think it's a bot) successfully before. Most recently I used a live person CSR phone no. that I had never found before. Pretty sure it is in India. The helpful rep told me that my store delivery was checked out 6 days prior and even mentioned the name of the driver. Evidently there is no system at the store level to follow up on orders or couriers for orders that never get delivered. Cancelled remainder of order. Not sure if I will chance them any longer but it sure beats driving 13 miles one way and having the Walmart experience for things I buy repeatedly.

I saw this thread and had to check. I logged on to Amazon and the free (basic) shipping was still over $25. for me.
That's realy weird, so Amazon must be basing the free shipping without Prime minimum based on location and/or some other criteria. I might call Amazon Customer Service and ask why this is going on ... I'd like to hear their reasoning.

That's realy weird, so Amazon must be basing the free shipping without Prime minimum based on location and/or some other criteria. I might call Amazon Customer Service and ask why this is going on ... I'd like to hear their reasoning.
Yes, who knows what sort of thing is going on there. I actually just placed an order minutes ago, for the first time about two months. On check out, they really tried to force me into a "Free" 30 day Prime membership. They've always pushed that forever, but this time it automatically went to enrollment to complete the order. I finally noticed an extremely small font link in an unrelated corner of the web page. "No thanks". That made it go away.

It's astounding the reputation that amazon has built (I'm a Prime member and own the stock), when 1/2 the time Walmart trounces them on the same item.
Its 50/50 on price in my experience on who is cheaper.

The big issue with walmart is if they ship from store - as mentioned, the chances it does not arrive are high. I am pretty sure the walmart contractors have stolen multiple of my items - because its usually the expensive thing and effort was made to make the picture look like the bags were bigger than they actually were. I am to the point that I will almost never order from them for fear it will "ship from store" and I will need to go through the return process, where they act like your the one stealing from them.

I do shop in store without issue, but that's a waste of time unless I am getting a lot of items.

I have been Prime member for 20+ years likely. The fee has been worth it to me - we watch some of their content, do audible books, etc. However its getting pretty high so it may go away in the future.

I am Prime since day one, but yes price games
________________________________________________________________________________________________
I buy from Amazon to have stuff delivered out here in a day or three. I will even pay a bit more for that, and if price is same or lower then great. What tees me off?

Advertised delivery date: 8/28/2023

I order. Overnight:

New estimated delivery date:
Monday, September 11, 2023

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
I had two items to return. Exact same item, from same seller. One was supposed to be the correct size replacement.

Amazon "made" me drop one at UPS and one at Whole Foods. Completely nuts.

Last edited:
I dumped Prime during the pandemic when they tried gaslighting me (and many others) that "two day shipping" meant, "oh well when we get through our 5-day warehouse backlog and give it to the post office, you'll get it in two days."

Now they're saying, well, this $130 item would be $122 if you had Prime. Get bent, I'll buy it on ebay.

The old "Pay $25/35 for your basket and get it in ten days with free slow shipping without Prime" was a decent deal, back when they were hungry and trying to build a customer base. They're past that point now, and milking their formerly good reputation.

I am Prime since day one, but yes price games
________________________________________________________________________________________________
I buy from Amazon to have stuff delivered out here in a day or three. I will even pay a bit more for that, and if price is same or lower then great. What tees me off?

Advertised delivery date: 8/28/2023

I order. Overnight:

New estimated delivery date:
Monday, September 11, 2023

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
I had two items to return. Exact same item, from same seller. One was supposed to be the correct size replacement.

Amazon "made" me drop one at UPS and one at Whole Foods. Completely nuts.
That's what Lowe's did to me when I bought my mower. Online when I looked it was free delivery in 2 days. Then it went to 5 days. Then after I ordered it went to 2 weeks. All the time they had it sitting in the store but their delivery team was lacking I guess.

Then screwed me out of the $200 rebate and free install of the mulcher kit. Kind of glad they didn't install the mulcher as it was complicated and would probably have had to been done over to make me happy.

Amazon says delivery Aug 28 for an item, so I order and later sends me an email that says this:

1693088236360.jpg

At what level is this "false advertising"? They pad it enough to say they are delivering "early"

Not the first time I've seen this.

Amazon has certainly changed, and not for the better. In my view it really went downhill in 2020. Because people were home and worried about going out of their homes, Amazon became the go-to method for almost everything. I noticed their prices really began to creep up during that time, and like so many things, they just used the built-in excuse that it was because of (you know).

Now their pricing is all over the place, whereas in the past it was almost always as good or better than anywhere else. I used to just order things from them without considering shopping around - now that can get you ripped off. They regularly fail to deliver on time with impunity, and trying to contact them is a major endeavor.

They continue to jack up the cost of prime. Half of the things I watch on Prime Video are now ad-infested as they've moved it to their free-vee platform. And so much of their original content is trash. And finally, trying to do a product search is an exercise in frustration - so crammed with 'sponsored" items, items that ignore the search terms, or items that are unrelated completely. Add in the amount of cheap, generic 'overseas' brands they push with bogus reviews and it's like navigating a cow pasture in new shoes.

Like someone else mentioned, frequently ebay is just a simpler alternative, albeit with their own issues.

I pay for prime and the savings in fuel / time to go out and buy next day or two (mostly ) items far outweighs the $100+ they charge convenience fee. My wife seems to watch their steaming service too .

I pay for prime and the savings in fuel / time to go out and buy next day or two (mostly ) items far outweighs the $100+ they charge convenience fee. My wife seems to watch their steaming service too .

Yep, zero need for me to go to Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, Home Depot, Auto Zone, etc…. when I can click away on Amazon.

I hate shopping at retail stores.

Everything I order on Amazon can wait 4 days so I get free shipping.

Last edited:
Been a Prime member for 15 yr approximately. Last year I had 72 less than $10 packages delivered free. I'd say 85% were on time in 2 days. I listen to prime music all night to help sleep. Returns could not be easier. They send me offers on stuff I buy frequently, that I would buy at regular price. They have on 3 occasions stepped in for me when Merchants tried to cheat me. In my book they are Allright.

I ordered 3 items on Tuesday and it said that it would arrive Monday . Today when I checked it said it would arrive Friday and I dont have Prime

Back