Amazon employees in dismay over return to the office policy

Replacing people may not be so hard. Reconstructing data bases, e-commerce platforms, etc- may not be so easy in some cases.
Those truly critical with keys to the entire operation would have already been talked to / taken care of. If they weren't - then Amazon deserves to loose their database.

I actually like that their whining about actually going to work. Makes those of us that will do what their told (when paid appropriately of course) that much more valuable.

As a funny aside, when I very first started work out of college I worked in a maze of cubicles at a big company, where lay offs were a regular occurrence. HR/IT would cut off the peoples phone / network access before work started. Your boss was supposed to intercept you coming in, but occasionally someone was missed.

An old joke was to disconnect the phone cord of your cubicle mate, if they were running a little late on those days.

Employer has the final say.

Show up to office or find another job.
Sort of ...

The employee also has say. I'll work for a wage and conditions that I find acceptable. They can't force me to do something I'm unwilling to do.

I quit my last job because the company wanted to bully me. They told me on Thursday that I had to be in the office on Monday. I did return to work ... on Friday I walked in and dropped off my company stuff and quit right on the spot. The look on their faces was truly the best retirement gift I could have ever received; they were dumbfounded! It never occured to them that an employee may actually rebel.

I do not regret it one bit. I was close enough to retirement that a few more years wasn't going to change my financial outlook anyway. I'm comfortable in retirement and don't miss work one iota. Felt good to stick it to da man!

Moral of the story?
Ya can't fire someone who's willing to quit and beats you to it.

Those truly critical with keys to the entire operation would have already been talked to / taken care of. If they weren't - then Amazon deserves to loose their database.

I actually like that their whining about actually going to work. Makes those of us that will do what their told (when paid appropriately of course) that much more valuable.
There is a implied loyalty when one works for an organization. If one is not happy, one should be part of the solution making the organization better, quit and find a job that is the right fit for that person, or better yet, start your own company and compete against the organization you left, because you didn't agree with their practices.

Working from home was great, but going back was good for me. What isn’t good, however, is that a remodel took place and all offices became cubicles. You have to check out a seat every day and use phone rooms for phone calls/meetings.

I don’t work well at all in that environment. Too much noise, conversation, and my personal bubble is larger than the average cubicle.

I took a new role in an older complex that has an office, for now…..

There is a implied loyalty when one works for an organization. If one is not happy, one should be part of the solution making the organization better, quit and find a job that is the right fit for that person, or better yet, start your own company and compete against the organization you left, because you didn't agree with their practices.

I agree with you in principle - but there is principle, and there is reality. Disgruntled employees happen - its managements job to be ahead of it.

I have a good friend that works at Amazon. She doesn’t mind going back to work. She had work from home privileges one or two days a week before all the 🦠 stuff happened.

Her typical routine is a five minute drive to the train station, then about 45 minutes or so on the train to downtown. Leaving the station she takes an Amazon shuttle to the building where she works. All transportation is paid for by Amazon.

That way she avoids most off the varmints that populate the downtown.

I agree with you in principle - but there is principle, and there is reality. Disgruntled employees happen - its managements job to be ahead of it.
SCM,

Recently I completed a advanced educational program at Northwestern University.

One of the subjects was "the bus". Every company that is successful, or has had a game changing rebirth, do one key thing that is the difference maker.
Getting the wrong people off the bus, and getting the right people on the bus. It is amazing what the right group of individuals can accomplish, and how easy it is to compete against an organization with the wrong people in the bus.

The picture bellow plus Amazon's logo says it all about who's boss and how they think of themselves.

BlueOrigin_NewShepard_Launch.jpg

if the employees do not go back ot the office, then what use is the office building etc. MS has a huge campus ,what are they going to do with it if no one comes back? same thing with a lot of companies. those buildings support a lot of others than just the company employees

i would venture to say a lot of the folks being cut now are many that played the i want to work form home 100% card and non producers . i have many friends at all levels that are in the tech industries. when ever i see them and we chat, i am amazed at now much time in the day they seems to have to do their own stuff. MY BIL when he worked form home for a few years, literally remodeled his home on the big airplane company time .

SCM,

Recently I completed a advanced educational program at Northwestern University.

One of the subjects was "the bus". Every company that is successful, or has had a game changing rebirth, do one key thing that is the difference maker.
Getting the wrong people off the bus, and getting the right people on the bus. It is amazing what the right group of individuals can accomplish, and how easy it is to compete against an organization with the wrong people in the bus.

A more advanced version of the hire the right people for the job, and the rest will take care of itself.

GE in their hay day had 3 categories. The bottom 20% needed to be moved out, the middle 60% had to be trained and invested in to get their best work, and the top 20% were "highly promotable" and needed to be given ever greater challenges to keep them moving up. Not saying that was the best way, but it was one way.

The issue of course if finding the right people, then figuring out how to motivate them - because everyone is motivated differently.

Which brings me back to the topic of vandalism on the way out. Management needs to know who the superstars are - and if they do not, then there not doing there job. Those people need to be taken care of during a re-org. The other part is not giving someone who is being let go the opportunity to harm your business. That is also managements role - its part of the risk factor during such an action, and if they don't that also means there not doing their job. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Reactions: GON
Sort of ...

The employee also has say. I'll work for a wage and conditions that I find acceptable. They can't force me to do something I'm unwilling to do.

I quit my last job because the company wanted to bully me. They told me on Thursday that I had to be in the office on Monday. I did return to work ... on Friday I walked in and dropped off my company stuff and quit right on the spot. The look on their faces was truly the best retirement gift I could have ever received; they were dumbfounded! It never occured to them that an employee may actually rebel.

I do not regret it one bit. I was close enough to retirement that a few more years wasn't going to change my financial outlook anyway. I'm comfortable in retirement and don't miss work one iota. Felt good to stick it to da man!

Moral of the story?
Ya can't fire someone who's willing to quit and beats you to it.
Congrats on your retirement @dnewton3 . Every day is Saturday without the traffic! It sounds like you have prepared well, financially and emotionally. Well done!

My wife is a senior business analyst and works for a firm that specializes in helping companies be more efficient or stay afloat in their business operations.
Some of the crap she sees is unreal. I could go into some of the crap she saw at business dealing with the "Cares Act" PPP, ERC, but its political
so I cant discuss it here.

There has always been layoffs going around in IT though, that's nothing new but they make it seem like it is. They hire some contractors for xxx amount of months and once they don't need you, you get booted. I never found a reason why to waste time and resources going to and from work when it can all be done from home.

With that said, it was only a matter of time before the big corporations wanted everybody back.

Back