amazon.com, action needed: Sign-in attempt

So you're saying that it's legit then, and someone tried to log in, or is the message that someone tried to log in fake itself?
No, anytime there is an attempt you get that email, legit attempt or fishing attempt.

The email looks pretty fake so it's probably not legit.

Why if they don't have my password? That's a hassle.

That's your risk assessment to make.

I've never gotten anything like this from Amazon, but on other sites if there is a legitimate security concern you will often get a notification if you access your account through the website.

This is another basic layer of safety and an easy way for you to verify if it's legitimate. In fact, I seem to recall that the last time I got one of these sort of alert emails from Ebay a few years ago, the email did not even contain a link but rather just instructed me to sign into my account and read the message there.

This email has fishy all over it.

And yes by all means change your password. This is security 101. Firefox and Apple both now will automatically generate secure passwords for you.

I use Dashlane password manager. Super easy to max out the alpha-numeric-special password for each site (there are very, VERY few sites that have common passwords, none of them financial). My wife and I only have to remember one very complicated passcode (20 characters).

Benefit: if I die, she can log on here and tell you all, so you can pour a quart out for me every oil change! I’m considering putting a free UOA for each of you in my will, so don’t be mean to me, OK?

Back