Amazing what a difference the suspension can make

Status
Not open for further replies.
The previous owner of my Grand Marquis had the ride height raised, because the springs started sagging. I'm going to be dropping the suspension by an inch with some Eaton Detroit Police Interceptor springs once I get some other stuff out the way, but I decided I would revert back to the "stock" ride height today. The car now looks like the suspension's already been dropped by an inch and looks pretty good.

Whilst I was at it, I noticed I had no driver's side insulator on my rear sway bar.
shocked.gif
Plan is to install Addco sway bars with the other suspension upgrades, but I thought this was the perfect opportunity to upgrade my 17 mm bar to a 21 mm until I do that. Police models use a 17 mm, but have stiffer springs, whilst Handling Package equipped models got the 21 mm bar also found on the Marauder. With my luck, it wasn't available and neither were the insulators. Got a 17 mm stabilizer bar with the insulators for $30 from the dealer along with new end links and on the car it went.

It drives like a different car now. Steering is not as light, although there's a bit of body roll, it's not as extreme as it used to be and I'm certainly more confident driving it now. Had to "release" the child within and kick the rear end out, taking a u turn on an empty road. Couldn't have done that without schiting myself with the previous setup.
grin2.gif
Can't wait to get those larger sway bars, aircraft grade control arms/Watts linkage, springs and Bilstein shocks.

Yes, I got a freebie 17mm bar from someone who went to the ADDCOs and installed it with $5 in j/y parts. Did help a TON! I had no rear sway bar prior so even the little one is a big difference. I am going to get the ADDCOs too, eventually.

Are you in on the Buy for the ARP Watts Link Stud? Some people have busted the factory one off with the upgraded rear suspension pieces installed.

Oh yeah.. finally got around to putting the rear suspension out of the Aspire into the Festiva. Beefier all around with 30+ mm bigger brakes- I think wider as well. The front had been put on a while back. What a blast even with the stock 65hp.. seriously thinking about upgrading that also!

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Yes, I got a freebie 17mm bar from someone who went to the ADDCOs and installed it with $5 in j/y parts. Did help a TON! I had no rear sway bar prior so even the little one is a big difference. I am going to get the ADDCOs too, eventually.

Are you in on the Buy for the ARP Watts Link Stud? Some people have busted the factory one off with the upgraded rear suspension pieces installed.

Where is the buy in? I dont post on crownvic.net as often as I should if that is where it is.

Yeah, on CVN in the steering and suspension section. "Broken Watts Link Stud on differential" Its going to be made out of ARP2000 material and be an estimated 40-45% stronger than the stock piece. Unfortunately, due to the small run the price is $110. Though the people that have broken them usually end up replacing the axle housing because they were not able to remove what was left of the factory stud. Right now we have 34 people and need 50.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Oh yeah.. finally got around to putting the rear suspension out of the Aspire into the Festiva. Beefier all around with 30+ mm bigger brakes- I think wider as well. The front had been put on a while back. What a blast even with the stock 65hp.. seriously thinking about upgrading that also!

Definitely. The suspension really does make or break the deal.
thumbsup2.gif

Are you in on the Buy for the ARP Watts Link Stud?

Done!
wink.gif

One thing adding a rear bar will do is decrease understeer.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

One thing adding a rear bar will do is decrease understeer.

That is what I was looking for. It loved to plow out the front end before. It still does but not to the same degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back