Aluminum Complex grease???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of using Aluminum Complex grease for my steering linkage and U-joints because it is more water proof than Lithium based grease.

This stuff: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/gxc.aspx

Would the Aluminum complex grease work as good as any other grease like the standard moly grease?

Can it also work in wheel bearings?

I have been using Valvoline semi-Synthetic Moly grease.

Read the spec sheet to see if they recommend it for wheel bearings.

Food grade might be a disadvantage. Food grade would prevent them from using some ingredients.

Unless you are offroading, water resistance for those shouldn't be a big concern.

I believe Schaffers has bigger selection of Aluminum Complex greases if you are set on using one. I know at least one of theirs is rated for automotive wheel bearings. Both companies products are top notch, pick the product that fits you druthers best.

Food grade lubes are able to pass through the body without poisoning it. In many cases lubrication ability is reduced, because the best lube ingredients are toxic.

Aluminum complex base greases are very waterproof. Not all are compatible with the usual lithium and lithium complex base greases. (Schaeffer's are compatible.)

Keep in mind the constituents of grease...the base thickener; lithium or aluminum complex and others, the oil; conventional or synthetic; additives such as moly, teflon etc., tackifiers, dye. Moly grease just describes the additive, not the base nor the oil in the grease.

Originally Posted By: XS650
I believe Schaffers has bigger selection of Aluminum Complex greases if you are set on using one. I know at least one of theirs is rated for automotive wheel bearings. Both companies products are top notch, pick the product that fits you druthers best.

I was under the impression that Schaffers did not sell their products in small (individual) amounts. I do not need a case of grease.

Stay away from the food grade grease for an application like yours, those greases generally can't perform nearly as well as a traditional grease that isn't restricted on ingredients.

If you are comparing different greases for water resistance pay attention to the water washout and water spray-off results on the spec sheets.

As for the Schaeffer's grease, they may have a retailer in your area that stocks individual tubes. Check out the retail locater on their website or give them a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back